N | Page 3 | Golden Skate

N

mrrice

Record Breaker
Could you jump and spin in both directions as a skater?

No, in fact, I was encouraged not to. I did try in the very beginning and was told to focus and practice on the side that I was most comfortable with and stick to it. I think Rohene can jump in both directions and I could definitely spin in both directions but, not jump any more than a single in both.

Last edited:

Katie J

On the Ice
No, in fact, I was encouraged not to. I did try in the very beginning and was told to focus and practice on the side that was most comfortable with and stick to it.

All coaches told me same: To stick to one direction. But one spin I still do in both directions ( scratch spin left+ right) to feel my middle. Good idea to do some jumps in the other direction ( single jumps, for shure), it strenghtens your overall stance, I will try today.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Private lessons right from the beginning or early on are typical in the US for skaters who want to be more than recreational. Even so, two years of private lessons before first attempting double salchow is probably more typical than landing most doubles in less than a year.

I agree. Again, I credit my ballet training ( Along with private lessons ) as the reason I was able to do so well. I was never afraid to fall and due to ballet, I knew how to bend my knee's and recover if I ever got off balance. The beginning class that I started in, still had people who skated along the boards and were afraid to let go. That's why I almost quit.

Last edited:

jersey1302

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Hi,
my name is Joel Becker and I'm new to this forum so I hope that this is the right place to share my "story".

I started skating 3 years ago and figure skating about 8 months ago...though 18 isn't the best age to start Figure Skating, but I really want to do it. So I went to my local Figure Skating Club in March and they told me that they don't see any sense in taking me into their club. But I could join their beginner lessons where you learn how to skate forward and backwards. So I went to those beginner lesson once with the hope that they would see some "talent" (I was already able to master some jumps at that time) but that wasn't the case at all. The thing is simple, I don't want to become the next World Champion but at least I want to practise something I really enjoy...another problem is that I live in Luxembourg (country between Germany, Belgium & France) and we only have one club here.

So what do you guys think I should do? Just stop and go skating around a bit or is there maybe any possibility I may haven't thought of yet?

Best regards,
Becker Joel

That really sucks. Move to Canada.. you'll have over ,1200 skating clubs to choose from that will allow you in.