2016 Lombardia Trophy Pairs FP | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 Lombardia Trophy Pairs FP

sarama

Medalist
Nicole and Matteo were REALLY GOOD, they have improved a lot this past two seasons, working part-time with Mozer's group was truly beneficial

LRK

Record Breaker
Yeah! I enjoyed that so much more than whatever the SP was. This is more like it.:)

Also, good that not everyone is skating to the Writing's on the Wall - Skyfall now almost has the charm of nostalgia...

Also, so cool to end with Mission Impossible.:)

Note: I pay very little mind to mistakes this early in the season - I tend to expect them.

sarama

Medalist
Thankfully Vale and Ondra have two decent programs (last season all three were nightmares), although I don't get the mission impossible part....
Off topic: I think Ondra is such a great pair skater, it's a pity he never found a suitable partner, not that Vale and Stefania are bad, but he is on another level!

TMC

Record Breaker
That was great!! I like Skyfall, it's a good old skool Bond tune :)

This arena DJ LOVES Rapper's Delight

ruffledgrouse

Record Breaker
Thank you so much! I was only able to come in just now but caught lovely Nicole/fFMattieu Love Story

Are you planning to set up a thread for the other competitions today? (hoping, hoping:)

Oh, I don't usually set up the threads, there are people much better at getting the information to post than I am. I just noticed that the pairs didn't have one for their FP right when I thought they had already started (turns out I jumped the gun- it was the junior pairs that had started :palmf:)

The Ladies already have a thread that was set up here: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?60387-2016-Lombardia-Trophy-Ladies-FS

They should be showing on the same stream after the pairs are done.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:thank: I know you're not the usual set-upper, but I appreciated being able to rush in, hoping someone had set up a thread, and seeing that you had done it!

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Nicole & Matteo deservedly won. After day off yesterday, today they were on!

Should I give up on Vale & Ondrej doing triple twist? :( I like their programs more than last year though :)

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm catching up with the missed performances in the event and currently watching Rebecca GHILARDI / Filippo AMBROSINI's FS. I've thought of myself to be okay with competitions filled with pop music with lyrics, but what a great treat to my ears with this classical music piece after all I'd heard from recent competitions are very repetitive and same pop music..I want diverse choices of music please.

Last edited:

statmam

On the Ice
Minji JI / Themistocles LEFTHERIS <<<< BEST NAME EVER

Shame about the fall. Minji has very nice lines. Another fall. Is this Korea's top pair? I know they're trying to push the ladies to be ready for 2018, is Korea focusing on the other disciplines as well?
I didn't realize that Themi had found a new partner and was still skating pairs. A nice surprise. Was that his former partner Naomi with them in the Kiss-n-Cry?

grotesm1

Rinkside
Korea wants to have an entry in every event at the 2018 Olympics, so they are handing out passports liberally. Leftheris has applied for Korean citizenship (I think this is their only Pair) as has Alex Gamelin from the U.S. is who skating Dance with Korean American Yura Min (dual citizenship). Korea also has applications for citizenship for a German for luge, a Russian man and woman for the biathlon, and a couple other sports. All the citizenship applications are expected to be approved by October.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no idea who they are, but they looked happy, good for them! Now Nicole and Matteo show who is the top Italian team....
Is this some kind of tribute to Sale and Pelletier?

It appears that way at first, doesn't it, especially with the gray/white outfits.

The first time I saw it, I came in about a third of the way through, and I thought, oh why the lyrics on this piece? But I just watched it a 2nd and 3rd time, and I absolutely love it. Since it's a woman singing about a man, the story is different, not following the movie. And the final third of the program seems to lift up again beautifully and (my interpretation) not be about death.

I absolutely love this program. Genius re-imagining, and so beautifully skated.

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think I remember likeing Pfund and Santillan last year...

Skating to Evita (film version). Well choreographed program- wow, actually using the elements to express the lyrics, who's weird idea was that :laugh:

Shame about the falls, but I remember why I like them now :clap:

They were very consistent last year, so I'm surprised to see 2 falls. That last throw was pretty sweet though!

I'm disappointed at having missed them, and so far I've found every pair's FS from today except theirs!:ddevil:

I love this pair. I just watched their Evita program from Skate Detroit in July, and it was wonderful ... until the very last element, when a lift came down. Scary.

But I tried to figure out what I like so much about them.
(1) I think they've taken Tamara Moskvina's mini-workshops very seriously. They're doing great unison, with their arms especially and also extending out to their fingers, as well as head movements.

(2) Joshua has serious presence and charisma on the ice. My eye goes right to him. I find this refreshing in a pair and for me it doesn't take anything away from how Jessica is highlighted. Both their extensions seem really good to my (purely) spectator's eye.

After doing so well at SA last year, two of their lifts came down at nationals, and Joshua in particular was devastated. But he didn't drop her! I'm so glad to see them here; I think they've been working very hard, but also with attention to elements in addition to technique.

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm disappointed at having missed them, and so far I've found every pair's FS from today except theirs!:ddevil:

I love this pair. I just watched their Evita program from Skate Detroit in July, and it was wonderful ... until the very last element, when a lift came down. Scary.

But I tried to figure out what I like so much about them.
(1) I think they've taken Tamara Moskvina's mini-workshops very seriously. They're doing great unison, with their arms especially and also extending out to their fingers, as well as head movements.

(2) Joshua has serious presence and charisma on the ice. My eye goes right to him. I find this refreshing in a pair and for me it doesn't take anything away from how Jessica is highlighted. Both their extensions seem really good to my (purely) spectator's eye.

After doing so well at SA last year, two of their lifts came down at nationals, and Joshua in particular was devastated. But he didn't drop her! I'm so glad to see them here; I think they've been working very hard, but also with attention to elements in addition to technique.

This is so true!

skylark

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I neglected to say, before, that I'm so glad to see from protocols that Jessica and Joshua didn't have problems with their lifts today. That must be a huge relief and should give them a good boost of confidence going forward.

sarama

Medalist
It appears that way at first, doesn't it, especially with the gray/white outfits.

The first time I saw it, I came in about a third of the way through, and I thought, oh why the lyrics on this piece? But I just watched it a 2nd and 3rd time, and I absolutely love it. Since it's a woman singing about a man, the story is different, not following the movie. And the final third of the program seems to lift up again beautifully and (my interpretation) not be about death.

I absolutely love this program. Genius re-imagining, and so beautifully skated.

Yes at the beginning, it was really reminiscent, then I agree with you they gave their personal touch. I liked them a lot, way more sophisticated this year

QuadThrow

Medalist
It seems that cat suits are coming this season=)

But sorry Valentina, nobody can wear it like Aljona.:drama::devil: