2016 US Intl FS Classic Ladies SP | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 US Intl FS Classic Ladies SP

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I'm not sure what you consider to be one of Satoko's greatest strengths, but I thought this music was perfect for Satoko, and she performed it beautifully. Not sure we watched the same program, because I thought the choreography was spot on with the music, for the most part.

I guess it depends on whether you know the music she's skating to (Musetta's Waltz from Puccini's opera La Boheme) and how much you care about character and acting from skaters. I know the opera like the back of my hand and care about acting, so that's a big reason why this program doesn't work for me. Musetta isn't sweet, elegant, or charming, and at this point in the opera she's actually making a huge scene in a very public place to try to win her lover back, not waltzing around in a ballroom.

chloepoco

Medalist
I guess it depends on whether you know the music she's skating to (Musetta's Waltz from Puccini's opera La Boheme) and how much you care about character and acting from skaters. I know the opera like the back of my hand and care about acting, so that's a big reason why this program doesn't work for me. Musetta isn't sweet, elegant, or charming, and at this point in the opera she's actually making a huge scene in a very public place to try to win her lover back, not waltzing around in a ballroom.

I know the music she's skating to, however, definitely "not like the back of my hand". Perhaps that's where our differences lie then, because, for me, character and acting from skaters don't define a program.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I know the music she's skating to, however, definitely "not like the back of my hand". Perhaps that's where our differences lie then, because, for me, character and acting from skaters don't define a program.

Yup.

I totally see what they're going for, and the idea suits her; I just think they should've used a Strauss or Lehar waltz, etc. I won't bore you about the choreography except to say - that 2 second spiral she did as a transition into her last jump - cmon are you kidding me? How about move the jump and do a gorgeous Michelle Kwan like spiral down the rink at the musical climax? Really I might almost have forgiven the rest but for that. ;)

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I just got home and the finishing order of the ladies SP is nowhere to be found. Cam someone please post the results of the ladies SP. Thank you.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm sorry, I just got home and the finishing order of the ladies SP is nowhere to be found. Cam someone please post the results of the ladies SP. Thank you.

It's at this link:

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2016/24347/results.html

Place Start Name Score
1 5 Satoko MIYAHARA, JPN 70.09
2 1 Mariah BELL, USA 60.64
3 4 Dabin CHOI, KOR 58.70
4 3 Emily CHAN, USA 54.22
5 6 Paige RYDBERG, USA 52.53
6 2 Karen CHEN, USA 51.50
7 7 Kim DECELLES, CAN 48.37
8 11 Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA, KAZ 48.33
9 9 Seo Young LEE, KOR 38.95
10 12 Aimee BUCHANAN, ISR 37.82
11 8 Yasmine Kimiko YAMADA, SUI 35.11
12 10 Dimitra KORRI, GRE 24.97

ice coverage

Record Breaker

mrrice:

Look in the OP for the link labelled "Icenetwork results."

Click there first, and then on the leaderboard page, click on the link for the Ladies SP.

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice:

Look in the OP for the link labelled "Icenetwork results."

Click there first, and then on the leaderboard page, click on the link for the Ladies SP.

Thank you guys for the quick responses as they are much appreciated. It's nice to see that Mariah is holding her own, even with a fall. I'm sad for other US Ladies as looking at their score they must have made a couple mistakes.

mrrice

Record Breaker
There is not a hot enough place in hell for the executives at IN that saddle us with this crappy feed. I saw virtually nothing of Mariah's skate.

Thank goodness I listened to the people who told me not to trust the network and wait for YouTube. For those of you are making reports and keeping us updated, you have my thanks in bucket's. I wonder if the IN people are smart enough to follow the threads and see what a horrible job they're doing and badly they are disappointing their costumers.

Last edited:

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Finally got to see Mariah's complete program. Except for one fall, she was sensational. And she looked so happy in the K&C -- no tears for once!

I hope Rafael can help her finally reach her potential.

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just a short comment from the rink. My impression was that almost everyone except for Satoko looked a lot better in their practices than they did in the competition. Karen Chen looked very good in practice. To my untrained eye Satoko was by far the fastest skater in practice. She just kept going up and down the ice like an energizer bunny. I never did notice her standing by the boards talking to her coach. I have been really impressed by her work ethic, focus, and performance. Gotta go now, the last men's group is starting.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I have to choose between not to watch her videos at all, or watch her and notice that steep disparity between her performance and jumps. I was simply stating an observation, with contains both positive and negative side of her skating. I do that for all skaters.

Well, that didn't take long for the usual bashing to start.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
okay, I am also gonna offer some opinions about Satoko's new SP here. I like her overall look. especially dress. it is a delight to watch as we would expect from Satoko. I thought her upper body/arms appears a bit rigid. could use some abandon. And her jumps, agree with others, seems not get better at all. Am I bashing her now:biggrin:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am also disappointed at Karen Chen. Ever since her senior debut, she is caught in a downward spiral in her jumps. She has great speed, great spins, good ss, but she seems to be losing her jumps, in a systematic way. Body change might be a reason; I also want her to go to a coach strong in jumps.

I thought Mariah and Da Bin both did great in their performance. Lots of details and perfectly matched the music. But Da Bin's score is an ouch.

Layback11

Record Breaker
The only person I've watched so far is Satoko. Thoughts:

1. I LOVE the costume. Please keep it!
2. She interpreted the music nicely, but the choreography seemed empty compared to some of her other programs. Maybe that was just me...:scratch:
3. Spins and SS were as good as ever.
4. I can name about five waltzes off the top of my head that I think she would've absolutely nailed, and since I'm not the biggest fan of this one, I wish she would've gone with something else. She makes it pleasant to watch even with not my favorite music, but I would have liked a different one.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have only watched Satoko so far.

I loved the hair and the costume as well. I thought she skated really well. I love the refinement of her skating. Yup, the combo second jump was UR but I didn't get too disturbed by the smaller jump this time. I thought they were small but still nice to look at and integrated with the program. The layback spin was just so beautiful and she had so much flow. I think she will be strong this year again.

Hailey Shin

Medalist
Oh God, that girl sit next to Dabin, is the first "next Yuna Kim", who always tagged along Yuna after 2010... then she disappeared. yet Yuna is still competing for Korea... Now she is a coach? A coach who is more showy in the K&C than the skater.

Yes, that`s her. I heard Min jeong Kwak is now working as sub-coach under Chi, who is Dabin`s coach. She is also working with Eun soo Lim right now.

Last edited:

ioanna

Record Breaker
Both sides who think Satoko's jumps are better or worse are projecting. One thing is certain; they're not getting worse than they are. Yes, the 3-3 combo wasn't her best but the placement of it in the second half of the program is something she needs to get accustomed to.