2016 Nebelhorn Short Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Short Dance

katha

On the Ice
I think the problem in dance has always been that every panel is different and they all have different outlooks and priorities. So one panel might be stricter and another one might be more generous, one might pay particular attention to this, another one to something else. Now, you might argue that this somehow evens out across the season or something. But...I don't think it does. There aren't enough competitions in the year and the few that exist vastly differ in importance. And in dance, there usually aren't big visible mistakes to separate the pairs, so tech panel selection in particular matters. For the dancers it might feel like a lottery. I don't think the ISU will ever address this, though. They just pretend it's all neutral.

Giselle

Medalist
Why does everything Chock/Bates do look so generic? Adventurous music choices, yet it still ended up as interesting as whole wheat toast.

There were good moments in their SD like the not touching step sequence but the main problem for me is that I'm so done seeing the same transition Madison has been doing since 2008 (at least).

I'm also over Cappellini/Lanotte opening with their twizzles in every single program. It's like I know what their choreo is going to be without seeing the program.

Overall I'm sad that the blues is an afterthought in all SDs this year and the focus seems to be on the 2nd rhythm. No sultry blues in sight!

Last edited:

Dots

Final Flight
Why does everything Chock/Bates do look so generic? Adventurous music choices, yet it still ended up as interesting as whole wheat toast.

Chock and Bates looked anything but generic. Their SD is one of the highlights of the season.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Something to consider here,

all dancers in the world, try to skate within the rules and yet, bring out something special that suits them. I saw it a lot at this forum here, that the Italians are not well supported and I think you are wrong. They have a different approach to ice dance, than the naughty Canadians or Americans and that is good so.

Luca and Anna are far from less good, actually they are very good if it comes to their technical abilities which are mostly clean and they improved the biggest critique I had last season and that was the flow in their SD. These two, have a huge presence when they step on ice, I suppose it does not translate to people watching at home, but there are not many couples who have that ability. They are giving us a show each time and honestly, I would find it weird if they would go for Hip Hop. It just wouldn't be them.
I am not a fan at all, of people who pretend to be something just to suit the masses, that´s not right and nobody should do that. Be who and what you are, maybe some people will laugh, maybe others give you rude comments, but at least it is what you are.

bramweld

Record Breaker
C/L were really smooth today. They also bring the charming, polished and elegant, they always do. Nobody here really brought a sultry blues. But let's face it I don't know if we'll even see much of a traditional blues program for the remainder of the season. It looks like most of the teams will be highlighting the second rhythm :shrug:

Personally, I'm most looking forward to four teams;

The Shibs, V/M, P/C and I/Z.

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
C/B's SD is what I expected when I heard who their choreographer was and what they were going to skate to. That said, that blues section was a whole lot longer than I imagined and it seemed to drag a bit. Chock moves well, as expected, and she brings it, and IMO, has never looked better. Evan again disappears into the background and doesn't have much of a presence. He wasn't like this at all with Sameuelson as I felt his previous coaches/choreographers highlighted him and Emily equally and in a way where they complimented each other. Evan is just there to support Madison, again. I did like their difficult entrance to the Twizzles, but it made their twizzles lose ice coverage. Their no-touching step sequence is well choreographed, but overall and despite Rohene Ward choreographing it, it feels by-the-numbers Sphilband where aggressive athleticism over takes the dancing to fill up the space. That said, this is probably their best routine ever.

Piper and Paul's SD was truly fun and awesome. I can see them making another Worlds final flight with this dance and possibly making the GPF depending on if their tango FD has improved. Just comparing their SD and FD (that we've seen earlier), as of right now, it looks like Piper and Paul have a stronger SD to that of Madi and Zach but Madi and Zach may have the stronger FD.

Cappellini/Lanotte may be boring to many, and some argue they aren't really skating to the blues or hitting the rhythm authentically in their SD, but I really enjoyed how much smoother they are here compared to last season and how clean they were. I also like that they both really perform to their choreography, as repetitive as they are to people.

Overall, so far, this looks like its going to be a great year for SDs.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
C/B's SD is what I expected when I heard who their choreographer was and what they were going to skate to. That said, that blues section was a whole lot longer than I imagined and it seemed to drag a bit. Chock moves well, as expected, and she brings it, and IMO, has never looked better. Evan again disappears into the background and doesn't have much of a presence. He wasn't like this at all with Sameuelson as I felt his previous coaches/choreographers highlighted him and Emily equally and in a way where they complimented each other. Evan is just there to support Madison, again.

You read my mind? It was a mystery to me for a while why Bates' presence doesn't stand out unlike his previous partnership with Sameuelson, so thanks for the analysis.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I have not always been a big C/B fan but I liked this a lot, especially the second part. It's definitely still a bit rough in places but I think Madi is already wonderful! I love her energy level and the fact that she's focusing on the movement and music and not on "being sexy." Evan still seems a bit tentative, almost as if he's following her. For me its not that the choreo doesn't highlight him - it's that he needs to match her level. Hopefully with a bit of time he will.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Say what you will about G/P, but I just love these two and I was very excited to see their new SD for the first time. It's colourful, a bit weird and crazy (in the very best and positive sense!) and they've got the personalities to match that. I find they're just fun to watch.:cool2:
I'm not a C/B fan, but loved the music choice. Very pleased for Anna and Luca.

Astrid56

Final Flight
C/B's SD is what I expected when I heard who their choreographer was and what they were going to skate to. That said, that blues section was a whole lot longer than I imagined and it seemed to drag a bit. Chock moves well, as expected, and she brings it, and IMO, has never looked better. Evan again disappears into the background and doesn't have much of a presence. He wasn't like this at all with Sameuelson as I felt his previous coaches/choreographers highlighted him and Emily equally and in a way where they complimented each other. Evan is just there to support Madison, again. I did like their difficult entrance to the Twizzles, but it made their twizzles lose ice coverage. Their no-touching step sequence is choreographed, but overall and despite Rohene Ward choreographing it, it feels by-the-numbers Sphilband where aggressive athleticism over takes the dancing to fill up the space. That said, this is probably their best routine ever.

What's very interesting with C/B is their ability to absorb and project their choreographer's personality/style. This program, for instance, is very Rohene; their Christopher Dean's EX piece is very 'Christopher'. You would readily know who the choreographer is by the way they skate the program. As regards Evan seemingly disappearing in the act, I think Madison's powerful/strong presence is the culprit. Some performers have strong screen/stage presence that you would readily notice them. Her movements are so organic ... engaging that she gets/holds your attention well. I don't think choreography is the issue - Evan's movements usually mirror Madison's but the latter's stage persona is much stronger hence her tendency to hold your attention. Evan's height should dwarf Madison but her strong stage presence somehow obliterates that. Of course, that does not completely neutralize the height difference - you'd still notice it but it does help refocus your attention to other important details in the performance.

I like their SD: hip-hop segment is very well-executed. I must admit that I find their lifts somewhat underwhelming ... restrained. Also, I believe adding a third [hip-hop influenced] twizzle will enhance the program. A much more exaggerated hip-hop step pattern will also make it more interesting. Hip-hop genre is very different from other dance-styles - its more attitudinal in orientation _ rooted in sub-culture that's unconventional and defiant of normal social norms. Of course, it has gone through a lot of changes/development over the years.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
okay, just watched top 3 and found (so far) my fave for the season (Piper and Paul - love you!!!:love:)

Anna and Luca - as always, dazzling presence in the type of program that suits them like a glove, there is no doubt about that. Second part definitely better than first - the pattern felt a bit slow for my taste and too 'elaborate'. Yes, they were charming and elegant themselves, but to be honest there is no spark of excitement for me regarding this duo - they are sticking to this bubbly, entertaining popular style which is their trademark and suits them like nothing else, but that being said it makes them too predictable at this point. Which makes me really giddy for Shibutanis, Tessa and Scott, Gabriella and Guillaume and Kaitlyn and Andrew to see. Also the style/pattern of SD really helps - this is their alley, like it was in 2013/14 with finnstep. One last thing is that I'm not very impressed by choreography - it's getting a bit annoying having that much similar composition of SD each year, startng with twizzles...

Madison and Evan - to be honest it was quite a positive (!) surprise - the program, despite my pesimistic thoughts on what it could look like, is not that bad. I am not crazy of mixing these 2 songs (would choose somethig more swingy-groovy to match 'Uptown funk' better) and choreography is a bit too generic at places (especially the first part of the program), but overall the program has potential. And judges' recepion proves that. As for skaters - Madison is as always her usual diva-self, exept this time in black and with exposed midriff and Evan is totally in the shadows, really can't catch the same level of attention and can't get into the progarm quite as Madison does.

Finally my dears of Disco era - Piper and Paul :love:, this is hands down so far my FAVE SD this season. It has everything - out-there factor, originality in the field, quirky factor, fresh vibe in terms of theme chosen, choreography highlighting style of the music, personality and entertaining value. Very interesting choreography - particularly transitions are quite something, very much in music and those before twizzles and non-touch step sequence are insanely difficult - I mean, to mantain tempo, rhythm and have a proper expession during these transitions have to be HARD. Paul - I can watch him doing crossovers all day,he's one of the best in the field with great performance ability which he showed, but Piper's performance skills are a pleasant surprise for me - she really dug int that program which made it more real and convincing. The program will definitely evolve and progress, but it's my love already - that Disco dancey vibe is everything!!! One thing I wish would be changed is Piper's dress - something sequined in rainbow pallete would be amazing for her for such program

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
What's very interesting with C/B is their ability to absorb and project their choreographer's personality/style. This program, for instance, is very Rohene; their Christopher Dean's EX piece is very 'Christopher'. You would readily know who the choreographer is by the way they skate the program. As regards Evan seemingly disappearing in the act, I think Madison's powerful/strong presence is the culprit. Some performers have strong screen/stage presence that you would readily notice them. Her movements are so organic ... engaging that she gets/holds your attention well. I don't think choreography is the issue - Evan's movements usually mirror Madison's but the latter's stage persona is much stronger hence her tendency to hold your attention. Evan's height should dwarf Madison but her strong stage presence somehow obliterates that. Of course, that does not completely neutralize the height difference - you'd still notice it but it does help refocus your attention to other important details in the performance.

I like their SD: hip-hop segment is very well-executed. I must admit that I find their lifts somewhat underwhelming ... restrained. Also, I believe adding a third [hip-hop influenced] twizzle will enhance the program. A much more exaggerated hip-hop step pattern will also make it more interesting. Hip-hop genre is very different from other dance-styles - its more attitudinal in orientation _ rooted in sub-culture that's unconventional and defiant of normal social norms. Of course, it has gone through a lot of changes/development over the years.

It's evident from watching the video that Madison totally gets both rhythms. It fits her perfectly and she moves so well and naturally to it. Her performance style was also very appropriate to the mood of the piece, and I really love her whole look.

I also hate to take anything away from Hubbell/Donahue, but I watched their SD and C/B's back-to-back and let's just say Madison Chock came out looking even better.

Side note, I'm way too in love with G/P's Disco SD. I've watched it like 7 times already.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Piper and Paul's program is right up their alley. At least with Piper, she loves vintage stuff. I can see Carol Lane having had a big hand in this too, having lived and competed in the 70s. Fun program to watch, and you can tell they're having a ball with it too. Hope the FD goes well.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Maddie looked so good in this style.:love::love::love: I will give her 10 extra PCS just for that looooook:luv17:

KKonas

Medalist
okay, just watched top 3 and found (so far) my fave for the season (Piper and Paul - love you!!!:love:)

Anna and Luca - as always, dazzling presence in the type of program that suits them like a glove, there is no doubt about that. Second part definitely better than first - the pattern felt a bit slow for my taste and too 'elaborate'. Yes, they were charming and elegant themselves, but to be honest there is no spark of excitement for me regarding this duo - they are sticking to this bubbly, entertaining popular style which is their trademark and suits them like nothing else, but that being said it makes them too predictable at this point. Which makes me really giddy for Shibutanis, Tessa and Scott, Gabriella and Guillaume and Kaitlyn and Andrew to see. Also the style/pattern of SD really helps - this is their alley, like it was in 2013/14 with finnstep. One last thing is that I'm not very impressed by choreography - it's getting a bit annoying having that much similar composition of SD each year, startng with twizzles...

Madison and Evan - to be honest it was quite a positive (!) surprise - the program, despite my pesimistic thoughts on what it could look like, is not that bad. I am not crazy of mixing these 2 songs (would choose somethig more swingy-groovy to match 'Uptown funk' better) and choreography is a bit too generic at places (especially the first part of the program), but overall the program has potential. And judges' recepion proves that. As for skaters - Madison is as always her usual diva-self, exept this time in black and with exposed midriff and Evan is totally in the shadows, really can't catch the same level of attention and can't get into the progarm quite as Madison does.

Finally my dears of Disco era - Piper and Paul :love:, this is hands down so far my FAVE SD this season. It has everything - out-there factor, originality in the field, quirky factor, fresh vibe in terms of theme chosen, choreography highlighting style of the music, personality and entertaining value. Very interesting choreography - particularly transitions are quite something, very much in music and those before twizzles and non-touch step sequence are insanely difficult - I mean, to mantain tempo, rhythm and have a proper expession during these transitions have to be HARD. Paul - I can watch him doing crossovers all day,he's one of the best in the field with great performance ability which he showed, but Piper's performance skills are a pleasant surprise for me - she really dug int that program which made it more real and convincing. The program will definitely evolve and progress, but it's my love already - that Disco dancey vibe is everything!!! One thing I wish would be changed is Piper's dress - something sequined in rainbow pallete would be amazing for her for such program

Just watched the SDs and agree with your assessment of Anna & Luca, they are neat skaters, have solid chemistry due to their many years together, and bring the '40s back with their blues and jive. Don't think choreo is very creative but this is a nostalgic routine so I can't really complain too much.

Really think Madison & Evan have a very creative routine with great difficulty in some of their moves, interesting transitions and very difficult lifts. I am sure will the program will continue to improve as the season progresses, as will their speed.

I don't feel as excited re Piper & Paul, whose SD is rather bland IMO. They have been known for doing interesting & quirky programs but this is definitely not it. For me, it was disappointing. Their overall quality of skating has improved, but this season with V&M returning to competition and Weaver & Poje still in the mix, will make it tough for them to move up the ranks.

olayolay

On the Ice
I don't feel as excited re Piper & Paul, whose SD is rather bland IMO. They have been known for doing interesting & quirky programs but this is definitely not it. For me, it was disappointing. Their overall quality of skating has improved, but this season with V&M returning to competition and Weaver & Poje still in the mix, will make it tough for them to move up the ranks.

Really? Those are some hugely competitive scores they got. If they were going to beat W/P in any year, it would be this one.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Capellini/Lanotte program is somewhat boring but I think their 1st here is correct because they were definitely the most polished. I don't see much room for improvement, though, so I would think as the season goes on that they will deserve to drop far down the ranks.

Evan Bates doesn't convince me that he is "bad to the bone". They need to work on that. Loved the second half of the program.

Gilles/Poirier program is kind of a caricature, but I did enjoy it still for the most part. If not for her mistake on the twizzle they would have deserved to win here for me.