2002/03 Strategy - Michelle Kwan | Golden Skate

2002/03 Strategy - Michelle Kwan

J

Joesitz

2002/03 Strategy - Michelle Kwan

<span style="text-decoration:underline"><strong>From my perspective only:</strong></span>

1. Got a coach and a new choreographer.

2. Cut out Grand Prix to concentrate on Worlds.

3. Selected excellent music to give a more upbeat tempo. Worked on increased speed in Basics and spins; solidified triple jumps; got the right coach for dynamic straightline footwork; omitted 3/3s for a "perfect" skate.

4. <em>Result</em>: The strategy worked out.

5. <span style="text-decoration:underline">Future:</span> Definitely needs 3/3s. I don't think it will work again.

Any comments?

Joe

C

ciao997

Re: 2002/03 Strategy - Michelle Kwan

It amazes me that Michelle seems to have the most incredible sense of what she needs to do, with the exception of last year. I don't understand any of the decisions she made last year, or I don't understand the timing. This year, I hope she also played the stock market, because every decision she made was right on the money.

I hope her intuition continues to be good, because I wouldn't want her to stay too long. I think she can still be successful, but she still needs to improve. Of course, she needs more difficult 3/3's. I think at least two. Physically, I do not believe she can do them at this time. This is why she hired a new trainer to help her. I think Sasha needs to do this as well to increase strength. Of course, there are always exceptions, but most of the great jumpers were girls with more mass to them than Michelle or Sasha, eg. Tonya, Irina, Vika, even Midori Ito was a lot more solid. Michelle might be able to make it to Torino with a 3 lutz/3 toe and 3 flip/3 toe.

I would also like to see her do some yoga training. It might help improve her stretch and positions even further and it certainly couldn't hurt her spin position. Maybe she could finally do a classic layback. I don't know what she can do about her spin speed, I've heard that's very hard to change. She also needs to skate faster. She skated very fast at 2000 worlds (possibly her best ever) so I know she can do it.

She's going to have to work to stay in it, but I think it's possible for her to be competitive in three years. But it depends how much she's willing to commit to it at this time.

S

Show 42

...Another point to add, Joe....perhaps she's finally "pushed" that Oly monkey off her back for good, which allows her to now skate with such freedom and joy....42

M

Mathman3

I don't know, Joe. The same strategy <em>might</em> work again next year. We know what Michelle can do. Now it's up to the other ladies to step up.

Mathman

M

maxell1313

I'd like to see Michelle add a harder 3/3 to her programs, if for no other reason than to shut up people who harp on the fact that all she has is the "lowly" 3 toe/3 toe. But I'd also rather see her never do anything harder than that if it causes injury.

For that matter, I'd prefer if no skater continued trying a jump or jump sequence if it causes them injury. That's another rant, though....

L

Lanternlight

I had to read that three times before I figured out that you mean GOT a new coach not GET a new coach. I was like huh? :p

Anyway, I think her best shot is the 3flip/3toe. First off, she's a toe jumper, give up on the loop combos, they're bad for hips anyway. I don't think she wants to do it with the 3lutz because of the SP combo. The flip is a good jump for her (aside from the Olympics :( ) and I think she has really improved it this season.

She's taken a small step in jump difficulty this year, doing the 2 axel merely a few steps from the 3flip (I haven't seen her do that).

I wouldn't say she definitely needs one, but it's a good idea, as we have seen, often the 3/3s dont' materialize like people say they will.

O

Ogre Mage

Michelle improved in almost every way this year. Her jumps were sharper, higher and technically better, her spins were faster, she had great speed in general, crisp footwork and best of all she skated with an energy that I did not ever see during the 2002 season. Even during her rough times, she never lost her polished presentation, great carriage/posture, superb edging and well-balanced programs. Those strengths were amply on display this year.

Her LP wasn't as choreographially full as '96-'99. But adding in more choreography would sacrifice speed and in the current competitive environment I don't think that would be wise.

So Michelle's only true weakness at this point is ... the lack of a 3/3 (big surprise):rolleyes: . Will her hip hold up enough to do one? How will the new judging system impact things? There are a lot of unknowns -- we'll have to see how things pan out next year.

C

Callystarr

I would have to agree that Michelle Kwan's best bet as far as triple/triples is the 3Flip/3Toe.

...as you were..

J

Joesitz

The questions remain: What if there are no 3/3s in the program and she skates a la 2003 Worlds? Will the other competitors with 3/3s win over her?

I think she will need one just to put it out there. There would be no argument that there wasn't any.

She's the one skater imo, who does not have the best of everything but she has the best 'whole package' and that will win the audience.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker
Michelle's 3/3

She is a smart competetor. Or you may say she has a smart team around her. They analysis other skater's skate (There were articles in which she said she scouting all the time, she analysis not only SC, SH also a lot of other skaters).

After the Nats, where SC and SH showup with so so performances which certainly not push her hard enough, and with Irina showup at the Russia Nats and Euro out of shape and still won over sokolova at Euro. She then knew she can win over this year with her superior basic skating w/o a 3/3. She has had the consistant 3t/3t, if she want during that two months from Nats to World she could've get the consistant done or even the consistancy with a new 3/3. But why and for what? If you give all to judges this year what improvments in your skating you going to show judges next season? Judges always looks for improvements and reward them properly. While at elite level there are only that many eares you can improve. Save some for next year.

Believe it or not. For now only Irina can force her bring out her 3/3s.

K

kwansong999

Re: Michelle's 3/3

3/3, 3axel, Quad, 3/3/3, 3/0.5/3... there are many elements she could add so it doesnt have to be only the 3/3..... if she could land them is another story. But that was the point of the personal trainer, was it not? To see if she can do it.

She's the type of competitor that when she puts her mind to it, it will get down, somehow, sometime. But it will get done.
(example: Worlds: 00, 01, 03)

C

christinaskater

Re: Michelle's 3/3

She is just peaking!!! Hopefully alot of the Ladies are not kids anymore but real ladies and MK likes MButyrskaya, Irina Elena and Fumie all staying even if they are 20 +

R

rgirl181

Re: Michelle's Strategy

Stay healthy, as in uninjured--and no bad colds or flu at bad times--and keep challenging herself in training. As far as the 3/3 goes, IMO she's on that razor's edge of whether training one cause her to have hip problems vs. what she loses in the technical mark by not having one. It will depend, obviously, on how she feels and how the other ladies do. Some may have one or two 3/3s but not enough quality in everything else. If training 3/3s hurts Michelle's hip, she will just have to play it as it lays. Also, some of the 3/3 threats may injure themselves out of contention. Onda was considered a jump threat early in the season, then got injured and was out of everything from GPF on. Until they get hinged skate boots, I think ladies who do 3/3s regularly will be injury prone. A difficult situation for skaters. They deserve better equipment, ie, boots.
Rgirl