Meissner Lands 8 TRIPLES | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Meissner Lands 8 TRIPLES

soogar

Record Breaker
To clarify: the higher finisher at Jr Worlds will get that third place at Nationals. They tend to hold up who they want to go to the Olympics and Worlds regardless of actual performance.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think the scariest thing about the Asadas are Mao's horrible underrotated triples and Mai's laughable technique on her double toes, they are more like toe-axels and hesitates so much between her triple flutz and her double toe.
Before people talk about how successful these two are going to be as seniors, I would hope they fix their outrageously bad jumping technique first.

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Dee4707 said:
Yes, LAURIE, you are. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

People who call me "Laurie" usually get injured. :D

"Katy" and "Johnny" don't annoy me so much. "Kimmie" is just overly precious, and I'm glad she's switched to "Kimberly." It's a much more mature name, worthy of someone who damn near lands a triple axel in competition.

Laura :)

PS: Dee, I'm going to tell Nathan what you said in your CSI post. :p

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
MasterB said:
I like to see real women skate too. But I think is very unfair to discriminate someone because of their age, sex, skin color, sexual orientation, and so on and so on. There should be a constitutional amendment or something. Where are activist when you need them, any lawyer will do.
Hmmm, Is it a discrimination to bar people under 16 from driving? people under 18 from smoking? people under 21 from drinking? There is no difference (though I do consider 21 y.o. drinking age rather ridiculous)

As to the names -- Sasha is a nickname too (from Alexandra). And the press keeps referring to Dr. Condoleeza Rice as "Condy" -- do they think she is childish?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Flo: Carol Heiss certainly didn't lack attitude. I bought a copy of SI from the fifities that had her on the cover, and in the article, (before 55 worlds) she commented how only she and Tenley (Albright) had the double axel, but the "other skater" didn't land it on the correct edge!!! (MEOW!!!) She went on to airily declare that she could win Worlds because Gaby (Seifert) had won the year before and she had beaten Gaby in a competition, adding that she'd win the upcoming Olympics and then she'd eventually turn the spotlight over to her younger sister. Carol today is considered a total sweetheart, but she was a walking ego in her eligible days. That story about her pitching a fit at the O's is indeed true. She really embarassed herself and the team. She's lucky she didn't lose her medal for that unsportsmanlike display, but in her mind, she was always the best. While Tenley did win the 56 O's, Carol surprised everyone by winning Worlds that year and every year after up through her OGM in 1960. She at least COULD put the money where her mouth was and wasn't all hype!!!!!

soogar said:
Well Cohen is going, barring serious, incapacitating injury. This isn't gymnastics so MK will probably go even if she doesn't make the podium in 2005 Worlds (which I think is a serious possibility). All this talk about Meissner and Katy but with girls that young and small, it probably pays to wait a while before making predictions. If they can keep their level up and post great results at Junior Worlds, I predict that the higher finisher at Junior Worlds will be given that 3rd place on the team.

Soogar = I remember quite well, that the publiciity of 15 year old Tara was the cat's meow. It was blasted everywhere. The fans who don't like Kwan were extremely delighjted because Kwan was 17. Kwan was now oveer the hill and all the fans who do not like her were urging her to retire or go Pro. Age was a factor with Kwan in those days. However, La Cohen did not do the meteoric trick that Tara did and in fact, did not even place in the Olys. Cohen is now pushing 20 and no one is urging her to retire! and everyone seems to be saying that the little Meissner upstart just might do her in. And, if not, Ms Taylor might be the Sarah Hughes of the 2006 Olys.

It's a slippery sport, Soogar. None of us should get starry eyed about our favorities. It just doesn't happen that way. It goes back to THE BEST WHO SKATES THAT NIGHT

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
Is "Katy" Taylor's full name, or is she Katherine or something? I Have no Idea if Meissner's name is indeed Kimberly.

I'm pretty certain "Katy" is her full first name -- I read somewhere that she was named after the town of Katy, Texas. Her full name is Katy Lynn Taylor. Kimmie Meissner was introduced by the announcer at Liberty as "Kimberly Meissner."

Last edited:

Gipson

Rinkside
Ptichka said:
Hmmm, Is it a discrimination to bar people under 16 from driving? people under 18 from smoking? people under 21 from drinking? There is no difference (though I do consider 21 y.o. drinking age rather ridiculous)
It is certainly a form of discrimination but one that is accepted since most people don't want 10-year old kids drinking and driving who probably don't understand the possible consequences of their actions. The same is perhaps true of age limits in skating but there are differences. Age limits don't stop skaters from practicing the big jumps even if they are too young for senior worlds because there are still plenty of competions that they are eligible to compete in where they need to have the jumps in order to be competitive. And they want to be comfortable with all the jumps by the time they are ready for senior worlds. Also, you can drink and smoke for the rest of your life if you want but you only have a few chances to go to a world championships.

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
It's a slippery sport, Soogar. None of us should get starry eyed about our favorities. [/B] [/COLOR]

Joe
And, IMO, no one should be getting too starry eyed over former Juniors who do well in a summer comp. Let's see if they can handle the pressure of skating with the big guns at Nats before making any predictions.

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Congrats to Kimmie! That's pretty darn amazin'! :eek: I think it's interesting that Kimmie and Katy Taylor can both do triple/triples (triple lutz/triple toes) and Michelle and Sasha didn't do any the past year. Sometimes all the hype about triple/triples and quads make me a little uneasy, they are really hard on your body and can create a lot of injuries (but can be good when done safely and correctly). I think skating should move more towards the presentation part of skating. That's just my opinion though! :)

Rachael

On the Ice
Yazmeen said:
Flo: Carol Heiss certainly didn't lack attitude. I bought a copy of SI from the fifities that had her on the cover, and in the article, (before 55 worlds) she commented how only she and Tenley (Albright) had the double axel, but the "other skater" didn't land it on the correct edge!!! (MEOW!!!) She went on to airily declare that she could win Worlds because Gaby (Seifert) had won the year before and she had beaten Gaby in a competition, adding that she'd win the upcoming Olympics and then she'd eventually turn the spotlight over to her younger sister. Carol today is considered a total sweetheart, but she was a walking ego in her eligible days. That story about her pitching a fit at the O's is indeed true. She really embarassed herself and the team. She's lucky she didn't lose her medal for that unsportsmanlike display, but in her mind, she was always the best. While Tenley did win the 56 O's, Carol surprised everyone by winning Worlds that year and every year after up through her OGM in 1960. She at least COULD put the money where her mouth was and wasn't all hype!!!!!

Not trying to excuse Carol's behavior but I saw an interview with her a few years ago. She said the reason why she was so upset and threw a fit was because her mother was dying and wanted to win the Olympics before she died.

IDLERACER

Medalist
To change the subject slightly, is Meisner a very common name? I'm wondering if she could possibly be related to Randy Meisner (of the Eagles).

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Rachael said:
Not trying to excuse Carol's behavior but I saw an interview with her a few years ago. She said the reason why she was so upset and threw a fit was because her mother was dying and wanted to win the Olympics before she died.
According to a biography of Heiss written for kids that I read as a kid, when Heiss' mother was dying of cancer, she was wracked with pain. Heiss stayed with her in a hotel room with private bath, because baths soothed her mother's pain. The bio said that people, including the press, thought that she thought she was better than everyone else for not staying in dorm-like surroundings with her teammates.

Rachael said:
She went on to airily declare that she could win Worlds because Gaby (Seifert) had won the year before and she had beaten Gaby in a competition, adding that she'd win the upcoming Olympics and then she'd eventually turn the spotlight over to her younger sister.
The bio also talked about how Heiss and her sister collided in practice, which resulted in a career-ending injury for her sister.

The 1954 World Champion was Gundi Busch. Gaby Seifert competed against Peggy Fleming.

MasterB

Final Flight
sport not art

lil_icesk8er915 said:
Congrats to Kimmie! That's pretty darn amazin'! :eek: I think it's interesting that Kimmie and Katy Taylor can both do triple/triples (triple lutz/triple toes) and Michelle and Sasha didn't do any the past year. Sometimes all the hype about triple/triples and quads make me a little uneasy, they are really hard on your body and can create a lot of injuries (but can be good when done safely and correctly). I think skating should move more towards the presentation part of skating. That's just my opinion though! :)

The sport has been moving towards the presentation part of skating, specially now with the new judging system. But the jumps have to get more difficult if it is to remain a sport

euterpe

Medalist
lil_icesk8er915 said:
.... I think it's interesting that Kimmie and Katy Taylor can both do triple/triples (triple lutz/triple toes) and Michelle and Sasha didn't do any the past year. Sometimes all the hype about triple/triples and quads make me a little uneasy, they are really hard on your body and can create a lot of injuries (but can be good when done safely and correctly). I think skating should move more towards the presentation part of skating. That's just my opinion though! :)

Young skaters have a much easier time doing the 3/3s and 3As simply because they have small bodies with no boobs/hips to speak of, so they can launch those tiny bodies into the air and spin fast to complete the revolutions. And therein lies the danger. As they begin to grow and their bodies start to mature, it takes more and more effort to jump high and spin, and the timing starts to go. So they practice over and over and invite injury.

Miki Ando used to try the 3A, but I've noticed that she is no longer attempting it. She now tries only the 4S, and has had far more attempts than fully rotated, clean landings, and some of her 3/3s aren't fully rotated, either. If a skater who HAS been doing the tough jumps is finding it harder with a mature body, just think how hard it would be for Kwan or Cohen to start trying for the big jumps now.

I, too, think presentation is just as important as 'tricks'. I think Ando would do well to work on her presentation and try to clean up those 3/3s instead of risking falls on the elusive 4S. IMHO, Meissner at 14 has better presentation than Ando, and she will only improve.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Katy Taylor has yet to attempt a 3-3 in competition. Last season, she landed a 3lutz to 3loop sequence in her FS -- at Nationals and Junior Worlds, IIRC.

As far as I know, Miki Ando has yet to try the 3axel in competition. I saw her practicing a few 3axels (two-footed, but good attempts) at the JGP in Montreal in Sept. 2002. Since then, her body has matured quite a bit, but she hasn't lost as much consistency on her jumps as I would have thought. IMO, Ando's presentation has improved since 2002, and I think she has the potential to keep improving because she, like Meissner, has a strong foundation in basic skating skills.

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Hockeyfan: Thank you--I mixed up the two skaters whose names began with "G." It was Gundi who competed against Carol.

I know that Carol was very proud to win Worlds in 56 before her Mom passed away. I hope I didn't sound like I was criticizing her too much--she's a great skater and a marvelous woman. I had the privelege to do an on ice class with her for an ISI/PSA convention, where we observed while she demonstrated teaching techniques for single jumps, and she is a very positive and communicative coach. I'm sure her mother's illness affected her greatly. I wondered what had happened to her sister--do you know what the injury was?

Thanks!!

Yaz

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
But the jumps have to get more difficult if it is to remain a sport

Actually, women could just be doing the same triples and it will still be a sport. If you said the jumps have to get more difficult for one to stay competitive in this sport, then I would have agreed with that.

I think it's great that women are starting to do CONSISTENT 3/3s and attempting quads because it does make the sport exciting...however, I think people should realize that it's a very real possiblity that quads and even triple axels might not be the norm in ladies skating because of the limits imposed by biological and equipment technological factors. The reason why I'm saying this is that I think it's unfair that people are complaining how ladies skating hasn't improved technicially for so and so amount of years and seem to be blaming the skaters for that. However, I believe there are a lot of other factors, other than the current crop of skaters are just resting on their laurels, contributing to the fact that triple axels, quads, and even 3/3s aren't that common among all the lady skaters as of yet.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Yazmeen said:
I wondered what had happened to her sister--do you know what the injury was?

Thanks!!

Yaz
I read this book a long time ago -- when the dinosaurs walked the Earth -- so I need to preface this with a big IIRC. IIRC they were both practicing on the small piece of ice they "rented" out, and Heiss, going backwards, collided with her sister, and her blade severed a muscle in her sister's leg. (I think it was the calf muscle.) .

Rachael

On the Ice
hockeyfan228 said:
I read this book a long time ago -- when the dinosaurs walked the Earth -- so I need to preface this with a big IIRC. IIRC they were both practicing on the small piece of ice they "rented" out, and Heiss, going backwards, collided with her sister, and her blade severed a muscle in her sister's leg. (I think it was the calf muscle.) .

Actually, it Carol's sister, Nancy, put her skate though Carol's leg, by accident, of course.