2016 Nebelhorn Mens FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Mens FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I got the impression that he was very focused in the beginning and then he loosened up a bit. I liked it.

Yeah, I agree. I actually liked it and I think it's a great program to get him to show some more personality! I think I will enjoy it more with some more mileage. I want to see that Olive Green suit jacket again!!

I mainly want Jason Brown to skate to Frank Sinatra after he did that one exhibition a few yars ago and especially since it's about Chicago, where he's from. (Well Highland Park, but close enough).

In any case, congrats to all the medalists, especially to Jorik for the second best FS today. :)

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
I got the impression that he was very focused in the beginning and then he loosened up a bit. I liked it.

He was going for his first competitive quad, which he popped - I'm glad he didn't let that get to him in the rest of the program. I hope the performance will only grow as the season progresses.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I think Julian should be on the podium! I am happy the youngster won this. He is still so young, yet very good in skating, and good looking :rolleye:He still can improve a lot in presentation. I guess Julian has to pay for coming from Malaysia.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Are they getting the results by raven or carrier pigeon? Come on, this is Nebelhorn, not Winterfell.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Are they getting the results by raven or carrier pigeon? Come on, this is Nebelhorn, not Winterfell.

The full results and protocols have been posted online.

If you can't access them, something is wrong on your end.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I enjoyed Grant's program the most, and I do think it has great potential to be developed. I like the skaters who get the music and emotions of their programs into their bones, and then integrate everything and improve the jumping over the season. I wonder which is better, though .... to skate and jump clean at the start of the season and develop the artistry as the season progresses, or vice versa?

Jorik is a beautiful skater as well, and he seemed to really be enjoying his skate. I even liked his Titanic program last year; he believed in it, and that has a tendency to engage me. I think his versatility is very good.

Petrov I love when he skates to classical music, because he just seems to understand it and be able to create the feelings or maybe find them. It's good that he's expanding his musical choices, though. I don't think he has the Sinatra vibe down yet, but wow he's only 17! I found some of the musical cuts distracting, and too many of them.

MIM

Medalist
I love Petrov's SP + LP both. I can see his strength and great musicality came through with these two programs. Go Petrov!

Jorik, my friend. I am glad he does not overly use the voices in the program this time. (still one there is.. though:laugh:) He showed great LP here and I prefer his LP to SP.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Ice Coverage...if you have spent any time on here today, then you would by now know that the results have been delayed in being posted throughout. Not to mention the ladies event where that last 2 skaters on the live feed were blackouts.

Information is a valuable thing. A frustrating day for many of us.

Last edited:

LadyB

Record Breaker
I really like Sasha and hope he fuses with the music more as we go along in the season. It's tricky for a 17-year old to translate Sinatra in the same way Javi or other more mature skaters do. Having said that, I thought his SP was very good.
Congratulations also to Jorick, I really feel that he deserved to be on that podium, which hopefully gives him motivation to have a great season.
Gutted for Liam, I was hoping, he would repeat yesterday's performance and end up on the podium. But, it's early days and I'm sure Bruno Marcotte knows how to change and adjust weaker elements in the programme.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
IC...if you have spent any time on here today, then you would by now that the results have been delayed in being posted throughout. Not to mention the ladies event where that last 2 skaters on the live feed were blackout.

A frustrating day for many of us.

I was and am well aware of everything that you said in your post.

Exactly why I did not want you to be left hanging -- with the misimpression that the final results were unavailable to everyone.

That said, I will repeat that the software for non-GP internationals is obviously not the same as for isuresults.com -- so going forward, I hope you will not have an unrealistic expectation for auto-updating and auto-refreshing of the results after every skater.
For me, it is easer to accept that "live" scoring was not promised and is not offered -- instead of getting frustrated over it.

I too was hoping to see Tukt live. Understand your frustration over the stream dying for the last two ladies.

ETA:
Perhaps I misunderstand your original comment? I thought you were essentially saying that at that time, the final results and protocols were not yet displaying for you.
If you instead were making a general comment about the lack of auto-updating all day, it did not come across to me that way. The lack of auto-updating is not a malfunction, so it seemed to me that your comment was made as you were waiting for final results.​

Last edited:

Sabrina

Record Breaker
For me the stream died in the middle of Julian's skate, which I really loved, so I was pissed off. It died many other times. Each time I had to refresh, and that cost me too many seconds to count.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I was and am well aware of everything that you said in your post.

Exactly why I did not want you to be left hanging -- with the misimpression that the final results were unavailable to everyone.

That said, I will repeat that the software for non-GP internationals is obviously not the same as for isuresults.com -- so going forward, I hope you will not have an unrealistic expectation for auto-updating and auto-refreshing of the results after every skater.
For me, it is easer to accept that "live" scoring was not promised and is not offered -- instead of getting frustrated over it.

I too was hoping to see Tukt live. Understand your frustration over the stream dying for the last two ladies.

ETA:
Perhaps I misunderstand your original comment? I thought you were essentially saying that at that time, the final results and protocols were not yet displaying for you.
If you instead were making a general comment about the lack of auto-updating all day, it did not come across to me that way. The lack of auto-updating is not a malfunction, so it seemed to me that your comment was made as you were waiting for final results.​

I have watched this event many times as my girl, Kaetlyn, has won the ladies event, twice. This is a first for me where an abacus has been used in posting real-time results.

BTW...Jorik something wins.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have watched this event many times as my girl, Kaetlyn, has won the ladies event, twice. This is a first for me where an abacus has been used in posting real-time results. ....

Agree to disagree.
In my past experience of watching Nebelhorn, Nepela, Tallinn Trophy, etc., real-time results never were promised and the lag time for updating the results page was much the same as today.

... BTW...Jorik something wins.

If this line is meant to be sarcastic, I am missing the joke.

Jorik placed second in the FS and placed second overall.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
I'm so shocked! Anton Klykov was the last Russian man to win this and it was in 2000. Petrov mostly kept it together and was strong.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Had to pick and choose between watching so far, so...

1. Sasha Petrov: meh. I want to like anyone skating to Sinatra, but, he does not hold my attention. And after reading Mrs. P's posts, all I could think was, Jason skating to "Chicago, Chicago, that toddlin' town..." In Chicago.:agree:

2. Jorik. I don't understand his programs, or his music, or his costumes, but he's doing his thing. Good for him.

The two I cared most about:

1. My man Julian Yee: Two great programs, and I loved the ending to the LP (Hey do a straight out Wagenwheel, Julian) with all the personality that Sasha didn't have. But in the LP, dear Lord, if those spins were any slower he'd be standing. Can you fix that, Julian, please? I want you to medal!

2. My man Grant Hochstein: he clearly has confidence from last year and he's bringing it to the ice, and I like that. But Pagliacci?:( I didn't even like it when Toller did Pagliacci, can't deal. The Ellington SP is great, but he needs to punch it out even more. That could be one of my fav programs. (I know, wrong thread. Oh well.....)

Now, later when I have time, should I watch Liam and Tim? I need to decide.;)

adelia

Record Breaker
I'm so shocked! Anton Klykov was the last Russian man to win this and it was in 2000. Petrov mostly kept it together and was strong.
You shouldn't be shocked, this is already his third CS event win and fourth CS event medal. Last season he didn't get to participate in any CS events, had he been able to, there probably would have been a medal as well.

MasterB

Final Flight
1. Petrov - too business like in his skating but, he is strong and will most likely get stronger. I have never seen an American skate to Russian vocals so I am always taken aback by young Russians skating to American vocals, specially Sinatra.

2. Jorik - Love, love, love the step sequences.

3. Grant - he knows he needs to fight for everything, Nationals will be tough for him. IF he skates this program clean it can be a masterpiece.

MY Absolute Favorite - JULIAN - There is something so honest about his skating. He doesn't try to fool us with fake balletic artistry. He has a ****-load of personality. He needs to develop his transitions. Some of his spins were really good but, some were really slow.

Oh, and he needs to start throwing in the now required quad.