Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain

I see your videos and add one video with TAT commentary Rostelecom 2019 FD Russia 1 :biggrin:

I've been listening to the commentary of the non spanish tvs and it was interesting.

The automatic traslator of the russian video managed not to talk about rentals and horses this time, but mentioned something about decoction and pizza instead :laugh: But I think it's safe to say that TAT has been following Kirill since childhood, that she likes this team and the program and congratulates the choreographer, Sergei… I'm sure that Zhulin team is in charge of the choreo too, but it sounded weird. Anyway, if she said something more of interest and anyone can translate, I'd love to know.

The italian commentary was more interesting. I understand the most part of it because italian is close to spanish but my italian is non existant, so I have a couple of questions regarding the FD, if someone can help, I would be great.

- Twizzles: The commentator in charge of the technical comments said that there was a problem, they were not identical and I can see that too, but they still get a level 4. I'm curious, does someone know if there was something wrong or not?

- At the end they ask Barbara (the coach?) to comment too, I think she says that she doesn´t like it but I don't understand the explanation.

In the spanish commentary, the only thing worth mentioning is that Paloma del Río was lost for words at the end of the FD, when she realized that Sara was talking to her through the cámara: "Paloma, thanks for everything and congrats for your Ondas Award" :laugh:... She is a charmer, no doubt.

In general, I agree with coldblueeyes: they need to get that RD in shape, Spanish Nationals are in less than a month. December 13-15.

Congrats for the bronce medal!!

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Olibritt, you got me hyped up so much with the translations. ( I LOVE listening to Spanish and Italian commentaries in particular, not that I understand it much ;) ) Once I translated Czech commentaries of all Javi's EC and World's gold medal programs ... and I might do it now for Sara and Kirill. The Czech commemtator is a former ice dance judge, she's been doing it for more than fifty years, she really understands it aaand she likes this team :love:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
It's just one of my quirks, try to listen to opinions with a different point of view than mine. Spanish journalist, no matter how professional they may be, when it comes to spanish skaters, are as partial as me, so when I can, I try to know what other people say. In fact, for one reason or another, everybody has his/her own bias or preferences and I find that very fascinating, how different people defend opposite opinions about the same thing.

If you want to translate and there's something worth mentioning, perfect! I would love to know, just don´t go crazy because, most of the time, they all give the same general info and comments about the programs in different languages.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
I offer translation of Russian FD commentary and hope it's better than Mr. Google's one. :biggrin:

TAT: A very interesting duo.
You know, they were skating just piercing. I love them very much. I have known him since his childhood. He skated wonderful with his wife. But right today...it feels such a style. I congratulate Sasha [Zhulin] on it. Because there is a style in the choreo routine, and a style in costume. You can just become crazy because of the dress: not a single paillette, not a single rhinestone, it`s such a beaty, wonderful! A very good job, a very good one. And besides all this [Sara] is a beauty too.
AG: It matters a lot, Tatyana Anatolyevna.
TAT: I was watching them without taking my eyes away. I coudln’t do it. It’s a big job by choreographer, you can see it. Because there are many arm movements, very many difficulty about it. Because when you on count one of foot and leg movements do three or for with your arms and hands, it is very difficult. And if you at the same time continue skating, and they were skating with a very good speed. This is a very beautiful lift. She enters there where you want if the music requires this, you want to fly away somewhere. But how would you fly away differently whithin the rules? Just you would fly away nowhere.
AG: I don’t know. When I see this dance, this pair, I don’t want to think of the rules.
TAT: Yes, I just look at you sometimes and get frightened. I think: oh, now a person will throw himself as a plushy gift right there. We also congratulate Petya [Durnev] ans Serezha [Petukhov], their choreographer, who of course works with them.
AG: And there is a season best, which the second year consecutively brings Sara and Kirill a podium at Moscow Grand Prix event.
TAT: My congratulations from the bottom of the heart. Three most deserving teams, these are what is ice dance about. There were never many dances, but those what are available, are very good. And you can see it from the judges’ scoring, it’s very nice.

It's really very weird and funny that TAT is giving credits for the choreo to Sergey Petukhov and when explaining why, you understand that it is a peculity of flamenco and Antonio Najarro's ideas.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Here is translation of the Czech commentary of Sara/Kirill's RD from Rostelecom.

Com = commentator ;), ID lady = former ice dance judge Olga Zakova.
They usually don't talk during the program and thoroughly analyze it during recaps while waiting for the scores.
I left out some general info... But it seemed quite interesting, they seem a bit critical but I find it interesting as ice dance rules are so difficult and the mistakes are so hard to spot (at least for me).

during RD:
com: Beauuuutiful, slow step sequence (midline steps)
com: And here, it will be a problem (note: they talk about that in detail during recap)
ID lady: It was Sara.

during recaps of RD:
com: Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin. With a little help from Russia and UK, Spain has two great ice dance teams. On European level really amazing. We really can’t rule out that one day they’ll get a historic medal in ice dance at Euros for Spain. Though the rivals from France and Russia will always be strong. And of course, also Italy, but these two Spanish pairs are really good. Smart/Diaz as well as Hurtado/Khaliavin. But today Sara struggled a bit. She managed to save the twizzles so so…
ID lady: …but didn’t save the finnstep…
com: But overall, it’s a very beautiful dance. And I’m curious how they’ll fare in comparison with the Lithuanians (Reed/Ambrulevicius). Whether the Spaniards will go on the first place, or the mistake in finnstep will disadvantage them.
ID lady: Well, overall, I would prefer this team. You can see that they are experienced dancers. I was surprised that they, who already skated finnstep in the past, and even the whole pattern (note: this season it’s only one half of the finnstep), that it was the worst part of their dance. One would expect that it would be without any problems for such a team. But it was because she really made a mistake, she didn’t trip but she made a mistake and they caught the right rhythm only at the end of the finnstep. And I really liked the last part of their finnstep. Here, we can see the mistake.

you can see it around 2.17-2.20 in this video. (but hadn't they talked about it for two minutes I maybe wouldn't notice? ;) )

com: That was already the final part of the key point. They simultaneously began skating in different directions, were not able to reach each other and Sara almost fell while tilted back. But it was only a consequence. Before this each of them made a small mistake and this was the result.
Finnstep is terribly tricky because as it’s in such a high speed, if you make the smallest mistake, let alone such a big stumble as the Canadians had (note: Lajoie/Lagha), there’s no room to correct it.
ID lady: Indeed. Finnstep is a dance where also top teams can make mistakes.
Com: 72 points, they are in the lead, but they’ve already scored 77 points this season, so no big joy here. The technical panel today is especially strict. On the other hand, the judges are quite nice and give high GOE.
ID lady: They balance it out a bit.

I'll add the FD some time later.
Olibritt, aren't you my soul mate? :luv17: I have 625 videos with Javi's programs in my PC, it's so many mainly because I try to collect as many commentaries of the same program as possible. Not for the sake of objectivity as you I'm just really curious and looooove listening to Italian (whatever whoever says) :biggrin:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
And here is the FD:

Warm-up:
com: Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin. Their goal is to defend the third place after the RD against Polish and Lithuanian teams, but we can say that they are big favourites for this third place. And they have a two-point lead after the RD.
ID lady: I’d say so. But let’s see. Their main rival is the second Spanish ice dance team. They fight for the leading position at Euros and Worlds.
com: Spaniards, Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin coached by Alexander Zhulin, so they are from Spain but actually on home ice.
ID lady: Russian school has two main protagonists: Svinin’s and Zhulin’s, plus Angelika Krylova. It’s great that the schools can compete with each other in choreography…..

during FD:
com: They need 140 points to win, that’s not realistic, nobody would be able to reach it. They’ll fight for bronze. They should be able to get the 106 points. Spanish pianist David Dorantes plays Orobroy for them.
com: Well… (about Kirill’s twizzles)
ID lady: There were some more rotations.
com: Khaliavin didn’t keep his balance and had to help keep the balance with his free leg. Though both of them have level 4 in twizzles for now…
com: Choreography, apart from Alexander Zhulin, by Antonio Najarro, who has already many times cooperated with many skaters on flamenco programs. This is a very interesting Russian-Spanish cooperation. He and Sara taught Kirill how to dance flamenco.

during recaps:
com: At the beginning a quite evident mistake in twizzles, and I’m again surprised. I’m not surprised that they got both level 4. It can be that they have, to be sure, „more levels“ like 5, 6 and even when they lose some difficulty, they still have level 4. But I’m surprised that they got such a high GOE from the judges for the twizzles.
ID lady: I’m also surprised. But now the GOE is up to 5 so it’s a bit different now. We are sometimes confused. Yeah, there was a mistake. But, Spanish music suits this Spanish pair. And I’d like to praise Sara for beautiful hands. It’s evident that they cooperated with experts. And flamenco elements, so beauuutifully executed.
com: And again, the hand.
ID lady: Yes, beauuuuutiful. It’s a detail but it really lifts the whole dance to a new level. And brings higher PCS. They don’t have to worry about the third place.
com: Not in the slightest.
ID lady: That’s a given.

com: This pair is really interesting. Each of them has brought something, his or her own, own character but they work so well together. I’d say that Sara/Kirill are a bit more Spanish than the other Spanish team.
ID lady: Yes!
com: Kirill plays the part of a Spaniard more than blond Olivia because it’s difficult for her. So they [S/D] choose more international themes. And this makes the Spanish rivalry even more interesting.
ID lady: I’d say that this season I like this pair [H/K] more.
com: Let’s see when we'll see both teams at Euros.

It was one of the rare occasions when Czech TV broadcasted ice dance, they usually completely ignore it (as oppossed to all three other disciplines, sigh), so I got a bit excited. I hope you don't mind. ;)

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
And here is the FD:

during recaps:
com: At the beginning a quite evident mistake in twizzles, and I’m again surprised. I’m not surprised that they got both level 4. It can be that they have, to be sure, „more levels“ like 5, 6 and even when they lose some difficulty, they still have level 4. But I’m surprised that they got such a high GOE from the judges for the twizzles.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:It's great to know that there're still people that do not believe in conspiracy theories and look for rational explanations :laugh::laugh::laugh: If she was a judge, she must know what she is talking about, I'm just going to use this argument from now on :gclap:

Thanks a lot!!

It's really very weird and funny that TAT is giving credits for the choreo to Sergey Petukhov and when explaining why, you understand that it is a peculity of flamenco and Antonio Najarro's ideas.

Well, everybody wants to know what she has to say, not because the detailed info or her impartial opinión, just because she is TAT. :) When I'm older, I want to be just like her (without the fur).

You are great!! Thank you!

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Olibritt, aren't you my soul mate? :luv17: I have 625 videos with Javi's programs in my PC, it's so many mainly because I try to collect as many commentaries of the same program as possible. Not for the sake of objectivity as you I'm just really curious and looooove listening to Italian (whatever whoever says) :biggrin:

Soul mate? Who knows, hahaha
For me it began in 2010, when Spain won the World Cup (there's only one). I'm not really a football fan, but when the whole country is having a party, you just put on something red and join the party… for a few days. The final passed, the weeks passed but it was imposible to move on, all the media spent that summer talking about how good we were… and I began to have serious doubts about our collective sense of reality, so I decided to look for foreign press and fórums to have different points of views. And since then, I keep doing it as much as possible.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Time to warm up for europeans!!

Sara in a video interview El lado bueno de las cosas. It reminds me the interviews that spanish journalists used to do with Javi... Sara Hurtado, introducing herself. Again. She needs to keep doing that. Subs are enabled and the spanish transcription seems to be good enough to follow it, but you'll probably find some :scratch2: translations … hopefully funny.

Spanish sports newspaper AS published an article about Sara and Kirill on december. The article speaks about them as the spanish ice dance "reference team". It seems that the reporter doesn´t know that there is an interesting rivalry with Olivia&Adrián team… But he's trying his best with figure skating, I can forgive him for that :laugh:… Here's the article in Spanish and here the English traslation

The spanish photographer at Spanish Nationals made an interview with Sara & Kirill for her blog @kissandcry. English translation here. It's interesting, they explain lots of things about their programs and many other things.

gordana

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Here is a translation of Serbian commentary. I bolded what is relevent to Sara and Kirill so that you can skip the rest of the stuff in case it isn't unteresting for you what commentators in small figure skating countries tell the audience who generally don't follow this sport much.

Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin, a couple we know well, especially Sara who has a great experience. We saw her in single skating too. At last European Championships they were the 7th, at the World Championships 12 th. They participated in the Olympic Games where placed 12th as well.
Their coach is Alexander Zhulin whom will see a bit later for sure.
Ah, there!
- A real spirit of Spain on the ice in Graz.
- Yes, it’s Puerto del Sol. [and then some humbling that I can’t catch]
- These were Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin from Spain. It was a beautiful and demanding performance, there were a couple of noticeable mistakes too. There were some really beautiful and original elements too.
While we don’t see a slow motion review, a bit of history for which we will use this discipline, ice-dancing. It will be exciting later in the evening when we see ladies’ skating. Stay with us, we’ll broadcast live the finals, that is free skating of the best European ladies skaters. And now this... Since the ISU was found in 1892, the first official competition was in speed skating. And then in 1896 for the first time only men competed, then women in 1906 and pairs in 1908, and ice-dancing only in 1952. It is interesting that synchronized skating, which is very beautiful dicsipline we haven’t many chances to see, we mainly see them I gala excibitions, at the open ceremony appeared a group of the girls, exists only from 2000. And all four disciplines, after we have seen ice-dance, are on the schedule of official competitions. The first competitions were outdoor, mostly on frozen lakes, and only later entered in ice-rinks. The fist world champions were British Jean Westwood and Laurence Demmy in 1952. So for us to recollected a little of history.
- Yes, it is a sport with great traditions and it is always very interesting to hear that facts.
- Here they are all fantastic names and fantastic stories of their lives. Most of them since they spent much ice time together became later partners in life. Mainly these are so lovely and warm stories of people. Some of them became successfull coaches as for example Mrs Tatiana Tarasova or Alexander Zhulin, who was married to Tatiana Navka some time ago. She was his young talented athlete, so to say. Here we see him on the right, waving. He made that fantastic choreography of Pink Panter for Tatiana Navka and Roman Kostomarov. Later their life paths separated. Tatiana Navka is married now to Dmitry Peskov. And Alexander Zhulin came back to Russia where he has his figure skating school. Here are the scores. Sara Hurtado and Kirill Khaliavin are on the first place so far.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
I didn´t expect to have a translation of the Serbian commentary! I’m impressed! Thanks a lot, Gordana!!
Let’s see what I can do with the other videos...

According to my inexistent Italian and the parts that I manage to understand, in the commentary of the Swiss TV, after the RD, they talk about the mistake in the twizzles, the levels of each element given by the panel... they did well, they said, but then they talk about the lower level of H&K compared with the rest of teams in that group (the last one). One of them say that there is a little difference but the other says that it’s big and shows up “the edges less deep, the speed, the expression :)scratch2:) more attentive at the element than…". I don’t understand that well the next sentence, but I think they say that it doesn´t look as effortless as it should.

After the FD, I think they say that they like this couple a lot, that their program is different and they talk about the TES tie with S&D and explain in detail the level given to each element.

I find RAI commentary much more interesting; they introduce the FD asking the viewers to pay attention to the choreography, the choreo step sequence, the design. She says that they made the program with Antonio Najarro and flamenco dancers (I think it’s a mistake, they worked with the dancers in their EX program). She finds the costumes “maravillosi”.

After the FD, they say that they like it a lot, and say a few things about Sara and Spanish music and Javier leading team Spain and how close their score is to Olivia&Adrian’s. He said that he used this program at a class in the FED, because he finds it a choreographic wonder. He comments a few thinks about the levels given by the panel and comes back to that class and then explains why he finds the choreo step sequence so good... but I can´t understand what he’s saying :)eeking: :laugh:), only at the end, that the components should be higher than the ones of S&D.

In TDP, Paloma and Susana, talk about them almost as a member of their family, they say “AyAyAy” about Sara’s twizzles and that one of the holds in the RD didn´t look good, and then Susana explains the levels that appear in her screen once revised by the panel. They find them wonderful in expression, especially Sara. And they think that Sara is thinner. It’s funny how anxious they sound waiting for the scores.

In the FD, Paloma begins repeating that Sara is thinner. After the program, she says that how different the programs are of the two Spanish couples. Talks about Najarro, always eager to help spanish skaters. They found Sara&Kirill fantastic. They mention David Muñoz, the spanish judge at the competition and make comments about the images they are seeing in slow motion. And they praise Kirill’s merit dancing flamenco, for Sara is, supposedly, easier.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I think Sara/Kirill can say that the EC was successful. They defended their 7th place from last year.
But I'm also a bit sad that they are not going to Worlds. I get that the federation wants to give the two teams more or less equal opportunities, maybe they also think that Sara/Kirill got their chance last year. But imo it would be difficult for either of them to secure the second spot for Spain in ice dance... Just the explanation of the federation seems a bit weird to me. (Sara/Kirill got a GP medal, they placed higher at Euros, yet "after assessing the scores" S/D "are more competitive") I'm not trying to pit them against each other. So let's just hope that Spain gets the second spot after all... :pray:

I'm also torn about their Hello, Dolly RD. Personally I like it a lot, really a lot. It's a bit slower than most of the other RDs, it seems to me, and it's such a nice change of pace during the competition. On the other hand, it's "just" a nice, maybe too conservative rhythm dance (I'm sorry) withouth any wow-element or super-creative something (it can work, I could describe Sinitsina/Katsalapov's FD with these exact words too). But I think that in ice dance especially it's essential to have a good RD, because it's a lot harder to catch up points in FD than let's say in men singles FP where the placings change significantly more.
And as I said I love their RD. But at Europeans the whole arena was totally silent during their whole RD. It does not automatically engage you to clap into rhythm - compare it with P/C's Fame or Olivia/Adriaz super-engaging Grease. They had the whole arena clapping in a few seconds. I just think that next year they should try to take this into account while choosing a new RD.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
We have bad news from Sara, they had just returned to training and now she is injured. She explains it in Spanish and but there's a message in English too in her Instastories

"For my English speaking friends:
Basically, last week we had a bad fall during practice and I dislocated my right shoulder causing a labrum (kneecup of the shoulder) fracture...
So now I need to go through surgery to fix it and be able to move it again, without the risk of dislocating it again.
I know it will be all right in the end because I'm in the best hands thanks to @globalphysioesp and my medical insurance with the @fmdinv who has work extremely fast to get me back home ASAP.
I'll keep you posted."

She sounds optimistic... but she always does. She is coming back to Spain (it seems that Madrid Fed helped her with the logistics). The most important is to recover as soon as possible... Going back to Russia won´t be easy but... one problem at a time...

Best wishes and a speedy recovery to her!! :pray:

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
Sara spent months, first in quarantine then in lock down in Moscow, "hyper"connected to social and mass media. She did a lot of InstaLive (available in youtube, in Spanish most of them) and gave interviews to anyone who asked her... and with so many media trying to fill airtime when sports, social and cultural live was paralized, she gave a lot of interviews.

It's true that life is still not normal and journalists are still having problems to find "news" but I think it's safe to say that all that generosity of Sara during lock down is paying off right now too because, yesterday, there were, at least, two media waiting for her at the train station in Madrid: RTVE (spanish national TV) and EFE (News agency) and today there are pieces about her in many spanish sports papers.

This is a big change... If any of you were following Javier Fernandez during the 2018 Olympics, maybe you remember that there was a lot of people waiting for him at Madrid airport when he came back with his bronce medal and, the fact that "there was people waiting for him in Spain", was a first.

The efforts made by some media during the last years, giving a bigger support to minority sports and sportwomen, is showing now too, but we'll see if, when life comes back to normal, the media attention is still there, not only for Sara (and her charisma), but for the other spanish figure skaters too.

Anyway, the real news today is that Sara is at home and waiting for that surgery. Best wishes!!

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
According to Spanish FED(English translation here), Sara's surgery went well and now she has to spend a few weeks in Madrid for her recovery.
How can she look good even in the hospital??? :yay: