Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

blancanieves

On the Ice
Yeah, I think it didn't make sense that S/D and R/F did not compete in Bavarian Open, that would have meant to miss and "waste" a huge opportunity in their careers. Moreover, it was not confirmed by the federation or anyone official, so I assumed it wasn't over yet. We'll see how it goes :D

It's tricky. In a way the fairer thing would have been for every team to have (close to) an equal number of opportunities to get the best score. By going to the Bavarian Open, S/D gets 6 tries (I forgot they went to the Autumn Classic as well) vs. H/K's 3. That's why I thought that excluding the BO did make sense.

kptnciam

Rinkside
Yeah, sure, I mean, I agree on that too, and it would make sense in a way, but I don't think the federation would consider "forbidding" S/D to compete... Moreover, I guess the fed. is the most interested in sending the best ice-couple so they have more chances of having 2 places in Korea (difficult, but, who knows). So, even though it's not "fair" for H/K, I guess they want to make sure they sent the best. And competing everywhere and using every chance they have would ensure the best one is going to Helsinki. That's my opinion of course xDDD

gabriele

On the Ice
Yeah, sure, I mean, I agree on that too, and it would make sense in a way, but I don't think the federation would consider "forbidding" S/D to compete... Moreover, I guess the fed. is the most interested in sending the best ice-couple so they have more chances of having 2 places in Korea (difficult, but, who knows). So, even though it's not "fair" for H/K, I guess they want to make sure they sent the best. And competing everywhere and using every chance they have would ensure the best one is going to Helsinki. That's my opinion of course xDDD

I guess at this stage it would be unlikely for Roblede/Fenero to score the best among the three pairs, as they came third in both segments at nationals and are third in the current standing of short dance TES. I'm wondering why H/K aren't sent to Bavarian Opens to show how they measure up internationally in direct competition with S/D and also because their programs have far less competitive mileage as has been pointed out. :scratch2:

kptnciam

Rinkside
Yeah, I agree that Robledo/Fenero have no chance there, but it's good for them to get out there and compete, gain experience and make sure judges keep seeing them, it's not like they are already at their max best, they still have to grow, so I'm sure this will be a growing experience.

Regarding H/K, I guess they'll decide if they go to Bavarian Open after Euros, if they can do that, depending on how they perform in Ostrava or how they feel (if they need competitive mileage or if they need time to rest up and train stuff alone in Moscow...) and stuff like this.

Sent from my phone

legjumper

Rinkside
Well, you can't accuse the Spanish Federation of not supporting its ice dancers - they are giving every chance possible to the teams to qualify for Worlds.

In the SD in Torun, Sara and Kirill got L4 on the twizzles, Midnight Blues, and lift, and L2 on the other footwork sequences, plus positive GOE on everything. I would think that if they skated as well at Euros, that should be enough to clinch the Worlds spot....

Sara also has a new interview: http://masdeporte.as.com/masdeporte/2017/01/19/polideportivo/1484859197_586579.html

Not a lot new here, but the article does say that they are aiming for a Top 10 finish at Euros and Top 16 at Worlds. Sara also says that Kirill is a wonderful person who helps her in everything, and that she hasn't found Moscow to fit the stereotype of being cold to outsiders. She has learned some basic Russian, and they call her Sarichka.

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Thankyou for posting. Can someone please translate? Thanks.

We are prepared, even though everything has been very fast. We deserve to be here.

The second video, she said their objetive is the top ten to get a second spot for Spain, but they are aware that this is difficult because is their first european competition, basically it is their 4th competition together.

Last edited:

gabriele

On the Ice
We are prepared, even though everything has been very fast. We deserve to be here.

The second video, she said their objetive is the top ten to get a second spot for Spain, but they are aware that this is difficult because is their first european competition, basically it is their 4th competition together.

:thank: They are second to skate in a large field. Keeping my fingers crossed for them! :ghug:

legjumper

Rinkside
Sara and Kirill are in 13th place after the SD with a score of 56.52 (TES 30.30). In my opinion, skating so early (2nd) really hurt their score - to me they did not give a performance of 56.52 points. They also received a -1.00 deduction for violation of music tempo. :scratch2:

SD (Spanish commentary): https://youtu.be/dwAcqbLOGYo
SD (Russian commentary): https://youtu.be/XSM45_IIFYc

Both sets of commentators thought they were great! :clap:

Hoping for much better PCS in the FD, but I'm afraid that there's not much of a chance to move up even with a great skate - they are 5pts behind 12th place (Lauriault/Le Gac), which in ice dance is very difficult to make up.

legjumper

Rinkside
Sara and Kirill placed 13th overall at their first Europeans together after placing 15th in the FD (84.84, Total 141.36). Obviously, they fell short of their goal of placing in the Top 10, but this was a very competitive field. 13th is still a very respectable debut for a brand new team, and they did score 12th place PCS in the FD - their PCS rose quite a bit between SD (upper 6s) and FD (lower 7s), so the judges ARE starting to recognize their quality (although in my opinion, this also shows how the super early SD draw hurt H/K).

FD (Spanish commentary): https://youtu.be/noDG9sOMzXs
FD (Russian commentary): https://youtu.be/Wnnub1Mvn9M

legjumper

Rinkside
It looks like Sara and Kirill will be the Spanish team at Worlds! Smart/Diaz scored 35.60 TES in the SD at Bavarian Open today, which was not enough to beat H/K's season high of 35.70. So close...it's too bad Spain only has one Worlds spot.

Now let's hope for a much better SD draw than at Euros....

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
That was close!!
But I’m happy because the tension about who is going to worlds is over now.
It’s really a pity that we only have one spot this year… and probably the next year too but, if there is a small chance for them to make a top ten, I’m sure they will do it.
Best of luck Sara and Kirill!!

blancanieves

On the Ice
Hielo Español

Okay, so Hielo Español is calling the .1 difference in the SD TES a tie, and thinks the Federation should use the tie break that compares highest FD TES. This would have Smart/Diaz ahead. Do we agree?

Last edited:

kptnciam

Rinkside
Sara Hurtado & Kirill Khaliavin

hahaha it's a very complicated issue... mmm

skating-wise and competition-wise, and thinking about the olympics, it may be true that if S/D have a better FD score, then they may have more chances to place higher than H/K.

but the FEDH stated their criteria since the beginning, so the fairest thing would be to stick to it.

and, tbh, i think they have a similar level, and they would place similarly, so... i would stick to the criteria.

nevertheless... at bavarian open, lorenz/polizoakis finished 15 points below S/D, while in ostrava they were super close to H/K, which would be something to compare them by... the same with cappellini/lanotte, 20 points ahead of S/D at bavarian, and 40 points ahead of H/K in ostrava...

although, one also have to consider how the judges may have judged them in each competition.

at europeans it was obvious that the spanish couple was not a "headliner" (so PCS and all that are lower...), but at bavarian it was obvious that the spanish were one of the good ones... so... i don't know how much this can affect the PCS, etc. Also considering the starting order and the difference between europeans and bavarian open, etc.

no conclusion from my part, as you can see xD

xDDD no idea

Last edited:

Barb

Record Breaker
Hielo Español

Okay, so Hielo Español is calling the .1 difference in the SD TES a tie, and thinks the Federation should use the tie break that compares highest FD TES. This would have Smart/Diaz ahead. Do we agree?

Honestly I have no idea. I love both teams, the FD of Adria and Olivia was really beautiful, though considering their disastrous performance at nationals I would trust more on Sara and Kiril

Last edited:

uhh

Medalist
Sara & Kirill's superior SD TES came at Torun, where the judges were handing out levels like candy - there was some inflation at Bavarian Open, but nowhere near as much as in Poland. And Olivia & Adri have shown themselves to be much the stronger across the whole phase of competition. Both teams have made mistakes - Olivia at Nationals, Sara in every competition except Nationals... I blame mostly the federation for setting such silly selection criteria! It's hard to change it now, but imo they should be thinking who will have the best chance to secure a spot for the Olympics & only Olivia & Adri have shown a score at any event that could do it.

Olibritt

On the Ice
Country
Spain
As sad as I was when Sara and Adri split, I try to see bright side: we have too international contenders (now three) and that is really good news, the only problem is that we are not used to it (and that we need, urgently, a second spot at competitions).

I thought Spanish Federation made a very smart decision, establishing clear rules at the beginning of the season for electing the team for each one of the international competitions. Those rules are made for situations like this.

IMO, the decision is made and this is the moment when we need to stick to it, not to doubt or initiate discussions that will change nothing and only can hurt the chosen team and their possibilities. My opinion is that no matter who our personal favorite is and no matter what will happen at Worlds, Sara/Kirill is the Spanish team to support.

And after Worlds it will be the time to discuss about the rules and, if we find out better rules, they will be very useful for the next season. Yeah, next season is not the same but, that’s life… I really appreciate the hard work that Hielo Español is doing but, raising doubts in this moment doesn’t seem such a good idea. After Worlds it will be a great moment for all kind of debates.