2016 Autumn Classic Short Dance | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Short Dance

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone has claimed that one SD at a Challenger is a guarantee that Tessa and Scott will win another World or Olympic medal.
But for me, their good score ain't exactly nothin' either.

I like the excerpts below from the article that Mango posted in their fan thread:
.... "We'll have to be stronger in some of our technical points moving forward, but we're perfectionists," said Moir, calling the performance was "a home run for us."
.... "We have to earn the term 'rivals,' we're not quite there yet," Virtue said of training with the French pair. "Ice dance has gone to an entirely different level in the last two years, so skating with Guillaume and Gabriella is inspiring....

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian-ice-dance-stars-virtue-moir-make-successful-return-1.576597 (Sep 29)​

Tessa and Scott surely are not expecting one home run to win the season for them.
But for me, it is a solid first step as they progress toward earning the term of rivals to P/C.

... B/S just scored very high in a Russian event somewhere last week. ....

... Who said it was not international? It is. With international panels too.

To answer your question, Snow, it was katha's post that likened the Autumn Classic to the domestic Cup of Russia in Samara.
I reacted to that, and I believe that is what 4ever was reacting to as well.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I don't think anyone has claimed that one SD at a Challenger is a guarantee that Tessa and Scott will win another World or Olympic medal.
But for me, their good score ain't exactly nothin' either.

I like the excerpts below from the article that Mango posted in their fan thread:
.... "We'll have to be stronger in some of our technical points moving forward, but we're perfectionists," said Moir, calling the performance was "a home run for us."
.... "We have to earn the term 'rivals,' we're not quite there yet," Virtue said of training with the French pair. "Ice dance has gone to an entirely different level in the last two years, so skating with Guillaume and Gabriella is inspiring....

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian-ice-dance-stars-virtue-moir-make-successful-return-1.576597 (Sep 29)​

Tessa and Scott surely are not expecting one home run to win the season for them.
But for me, it is a solid first step as they progress toward earning the term of rivals to P/C.

To answer your question, Snow, it was katha's post that likened the Autumn Classic to the domestic Cup of Russia in Samara.
I reacted to that, and I believe that is what 4ever was reacting to as well.

Interesting article on Voir. Good for them to realize one Senior B does not a season make, and that ice dance has indeed changed in the last two years. All this "we're happy to skating with the top team every day in practice" brings out the Doubting Thomas in me. Wait til the rivalry heats up. Then let's see how Bestie Buddies and what a great coaching staff we have pop out in softball puff pieces like this one. Plus, I really did not appreciate the dig at Marina Z, who is not a stupid woman by any means. Why on earth would she have deliberately slighted one of her teams in favor of another? The taste of sour grapes is, well, sour.

keasus

On the Ice
Interesting article on Voir. Good for them to realize one Senior B does not a season make, and that ice dance has indeed changed in the last two years. All this "we're happy to skating with the top team every day in practice" brings out the Doubting Thomas in me. Wait til the rivalry heats up. Then let's see how Bestie Buddies and what a great coaching staff we have pop out in softball puff pieces like this one. Plus, I really did not appreciate the dig at Marina Z, who is not a stupid woman by any means. Why on earth would she have deliberately slighted one of her teams in favor of another? The taste of sour grapes is, well, sour.

:gclap: Weak Ankles. I can always count on you and Mrs. P to add some perspective and rationality to the ice dance scene. The season has barely started, and the false prophets are already making predictions.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:gclap: Weak Ankles. I can always count on you and Mrs. P to add some perspective and rationality to the ice dance scene. The season has barely started, and the false prophets are already making predictions.

Wow, thanks for the kind shoutout. :) I hope you'll join me in the ice Dance evaluation discussion on The Edge!!

robredo40

On the Ice
they are in a position of strength skate Canada will go all out for them the fed's dream was to have them train in Canada with top Canadian coaches, P&C are now Marie-france 2nd team Olympic gold in South Korea.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

What a nice compliment! Thank you! Really, IT IS STILL SEPTEMBER. Any kind of prediction is more than a bit premature, don't you think? And I always distrust these, But we lurveeeeeeeeeee our competitors, puff pieces. They're athletes. They're all competitive as hell. I mean, come on. It was a very good performance of an ok SD --for September. They got a really high score because, wait for it, SCORING AS A WHOLE INCREASED. FOR EVERYONE!

Oy! Let's not hand out those Olympic medals just yet.

I'm looking forward to Mrs P's ID evaluation thread, because I'm not a techie/scoring/math kind of guy and I always learn so much from her. You should join in.

Thanks again!

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm not one of those offenders who are predicting V/M to win worlds and the Olympics based on one short dance. HOWEVER, I'll admit I was mesmerized by their short dance! I've probably rewatched it ten times already. I loved everything about it: the choreography, their choices to use hip hop and Prince, their unison and skating skills are first class... It's like they didn't take any time off at all. :love: So glad they are back.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I can't get over the SD of Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc. Not only are the music and it cuts so catchy to my ears, but also Jean-Luc's intense movements are so captivating, therefore, I've watched the program over and over. This program is probably my most favorite program with lyrics so far. Dubreuil and Lauzon's delicate and nuanced choreography are popular these days, but I find this choreography by Camerlengo so enticing and sensual. I feel funny myself how my assessment on Jean-Luc can be so easily changed because of this one program. I'd always thought his beard was distracting and didn't go well with his youthful face and short height. However, with the program, he stole my attention during the performance, and I started thinking his beard looked hot.....so attractive. How capricious could I be. :laugh2: Though I hope Kaitlyn gives herself to the rhythm more and enjoys her routine because her presence was shadowed by Jean-Luc.

keasus

On the Ice
Thanks Crossover. I thought I was the only one mesmerized by Jean-Luc. I've always liked this team, but Jean-Luc was :eeking: Is it my imagination, or does he have the deepest, most flowing edges? I couldn't take my eyes off of him. What a charismatic performer. I also agree with you about the choreo.

sarama

Medalist
Jean-Luc is hands down one of the absolutely best male ice dancers currently competing (he is in the same category as Guillaume and Scott), unfortunately his height is a big obstacle. Hawayek is a good ice dancer but I feel she is constantly afraid to screw up because he is much better then her. If she overcame that their scores would definitely improve. Their coaching team also leaves me a bit perplexed... she is super thin (even more then when they ere juniors) and I don't think that helps her in every way, and for lifts I'm sure Jean-Luc would manage anyway if they were well conceived.
I hope they'll figure it out, this is a step in the right direction but they need to improve even more if they don't want to be just a second-tier US dance team