2016 JGP Tallinn Cup Ladies FS | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Tallinn Cup Ladies FS

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Tsurskaya, Kihira, Sakamoto, and Zagitova are in.

Honda is on the bubble with a very good chance (if one of Gubanova or Konstantinova falters enough in Germany).

Nugumanova is technically on the bubble, but requires both Gubanova and Konstantinova to falter significantly in Germany.

Gubanova is most likely in. Konstantinova is likely in a score battle with Honda, with the advantage to Honda.

Further numbers/possibilities analysis in the Who Will Qualify thread.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Congrats to Polina for being the first lady with two gold's, with only one event remaining!

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Yes she was! Nice surprise to see her nearly on-par with Polina! :agree:

Such small margins keeping her out of more likely contention to the JGPF too - she was 3rd to Konstantinova's 2nd in Saransk by a mere 2.07 points.

Russian Junior Nationals are going to be a battle as always.

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Polina Tsurskaya gained 194.02 points, which was close to her world record from last year, and she is clearly on the mend despite some minor flaws in today's performance. Elizabeta Nugumanova's total score was 188.43 and she skated her short and free programs flawlessly. With that high overall score close to 190, Nugumanova has joined the top junior skaters such as Honda and Tsurskaya and she did way much better than I expected from her young age.

1. Polina Tsurskaya 194.02
2. Elizabeta Nugumanova 188.43
3. Mako Yamashita 184.06

Last edited:

hugo

On the Ice
Very happy for Liza and Polina. Zagitik is also very happy :) Ńow, I hope for first place for Stasia and second for Nastia.

MsLiinaLii

Final Flight
My thoughts about top 3, seeing it at the arena

Tsurskaya - my main impression - jumps. They are so high and easy. Was better artistically than I expected but really focused in the first half. She did rush into the jump where she made mistake. Otherwise, solid programm with great potential. I believe it will only become better as season goes on.
Nugumanova - she was the best from my point of view, I would even put her above Tsurskaya if the score would be purely based on the impression from the point of view of a spectator. I was really sad that she was out of the JGPF cause watching live the girl has it all. Her URs didn't seem that bad.
Yamashita - good jumps, honestly did not care much about her programm. After Polina and Liza it felt a bit boring to me.

Good job to all top 3 girls!

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Polina's improvement is to be expected but not Liza. She did everything she could do today, and she definitely had a strong competitive nerve.

Mako is the typical Japanese junior lady: good SS and jumps. But her spins are not good, and her movements are not polished.

I love Tessa with her calmness and fighter spirit. She has a mature style, and seems to have a nerve of steel on par with many Russian juniors.
The height of her jumps is the biggest issue so far. If she does not jump higher, she may have more troubles in the future.

chloepoco

Medalist
Polina's improvement is to be expected but not Liza. She did everything she could do today, and she definitely had a strong competitive nerve.

Mako is the typical Japanese junior lady: good SS and jumps. But her spins are not good, and her movements are not polished.

I love Tessa with her calmness and fighter spirit. She has a mature style, and seems to have a nerve of steel on par with many Russian juniors.
The height of her jumps is the biggest issue so far. If she does not jump higher, she may have more troubles in the future.

I thought Mako did really well, especially considering that she had to perform after two beautiful performances! At her young age, it's great that she did not let her nerves get a hold of her.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
That and she has osgood schlatter and broke her ankle last year. She's definately grown, but having osgood would make it very difficult to improve her jumping technique. It's really sad. When she was 10, her layback was like a Pearl Spin and so fast. Now she can't even manage a biellmann or hold the position in the hair cutter. Not to mention she may an over bearing mother. Maybe she's not that bad, but she didn't come across well on her interview.

Tessa is a wonderful skater but like all of her fellow US junior competitors this year, they all have a lot of work ahead of them (no need to mention her mother, very unnecessary and shame on you). No one to this point has stood out and not one of them could compete against the Russians, Japanese or Koreans. All of the top 10 junior girls domestically (in my opinion) have shined at 1 point or another, but no one catches my eye like some of the Japanese or Korean skaters who can not only jump but can also skate beautifully and perform at a high level (and they are 13/14 y.o. too). Oh well, another competition in the books but at least this time the US only placed behind Russia/Japan (since Korea was not represented, lol).