2016 Autumn Classic Men's Free Skate | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016 Autumn Classic Men's Free Skate

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
That's an interesting looking pigeon, haha, but the feathers are cool. It's the white of the costume that really made me think he was trying to go for a planet Earth colored costume with clouds, land, and sea. The costume is really pretty in person, I'm just not sure about the white on the top part of it.

Believe it or not it's the closest living relative of the extinct Dodo (and unfortunately, on the list of 'near threatened' species because humans just can't help themselves)
It has white on it's tail
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9724b18f54c4ab179d071b3753e8c670/tumblr_ocrlfiM4CO1qa53wno5_540.jpg
so gorgeous.

But I do think you might be right and the white might be the sky, as I think he talked of fusion of several things, as part of nature. I hate the white pants for the short so I'll take this white :laugh:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
that bird is gorgeous... yuzu's costume is also nicer in person as the colours are much stronger than on camera of course.

i called it mermaid-like because of the extra fabric and the jewels ;)

kiches

Final Flight
I think it's the Nicobar pigeon, the colours, someone mentioned it earlier in the Yuzu thread.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe.../Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg/1024px-Nicobar_Pigeon.jpg

I am all right with the similarity because I had feathers after that in my head so this is just fine. Plus I really do actually like it.

Believe it or not it's the closest living relative of the extinct Dodo (and unfortunately, on the list of 'near threatened' species because humans just can't help themselves)
It has white on it's tail
https://66.media.tumblr.com/9724b18f54c4ab179d071b3753e8c670/tumblr_ocrlfiM4CO1qa53wno5_540.jpg
so gorgeous.

But I do think you might be right and the white might be the sky, as I think he talked of fusion of several things, as part of nature. I hate the white pants for the short so I'll take this white :laugh:
That bird is lovely (this is coming from a person who hates birds)! Thinking about the actual costume again this morning, I wonder if it might look better on video if the color order was in reverse so that the white was on bottom for his top. I finally got around to watching the free again on video and couldn't help thinking it made Yuzu look less slim.

Since this is probably the first time these costumes have been unveiled I wouldn't be surprised if we see changes for Skate Canada at the end of this month. Even his Ballade costume the first season went through several color/intensity changes after he debuted it at an ice show, same with Seimei.

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
that bird is gorgeous... yuzu's costume is also nicer in person as the colours are much stronger than on camera of course.

i called it mermaid-like because of the extra fabric and the jewels ;)

I love the colors (and don't mind the white), but would prefer it less mermaid-like and more merman-like. I say drop the ruffles and tight lacy sleeves and add a shirt with collar.

TGee

Record Breaker
That bird is lovely (this is coming from a person who hates birds)! Thinking about the actual costume again this morning, I wonder if it might look better on video if the color order was in reverse so that the white was on bottom for his top. I finally got around to watching the free again on video and couldn't help thinking it made Yuzu look less slim.

Since this is probably the first time these costumes have been unveiled I wouldn't be surprised if we see changes for Skate Canada at the end of his month. Even his Ballade costume the first season went through several color/intensity changes after he debuted it at an ice show, same with Seimei.

I really hope he'll keep the concept, but evolve it. ;)

My input for changes would be on the pants....As I commented above, my first reaction was that I'd seen the top in another colour, but then it really worked with the music, so stay with what's working on top for now.....

But when I looked at the replay and the medal ceremony, the pants began to irk me on two points:

[1] Black for the whole bottom seems a bit off-palette and harsh. The ombre should end in a deep, deep blue IMO. Now that I've seen the bird photo, I'm all the more convinced that midnight navy blue would blend better and keep the sea theme better.

[2] Saggy, looseness about the ankles seemed to not work with the line of the top, and made him seem bottom heavy. And standing between Misha and Max on the podium, my thought was along the lines of why wasn't he wearing what they were on the bottom. We've talked on other threads about men's costuming rules. I would love to see Yuzu take the risk and go for a finish that's tight to the top of the leg.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
to me, just dropping the extra flowy fabric would already make it better... the colours are so so so nice ;)
I love the colors (and don't mind the white), but would prefer it less mermaid-like and more merman-like. I say drop the ruffles and tight lacy sleeves and add a shirt with collar.

kiches

Final Flight
I really hope he'll keep the concept, but evolve it. ;)

My input for changes would be on the pants....As I commented above, my first reaction was that I'd seen the top in another colour, but then it really worked with the music, so stay with what's working on top for now.....

But when I looked at the replay and the medal ceremony, the pants began to irk me on two points:

[1] Black for the whole bottom seems a bit off-palette and harsh. The ombre should end in a deep, deep blue IMO. Now that I've seen the bird photo, I'm all the more convinced that midnight navy blue would blend better and keep the sea theme better.

[2] Saggy, looseness about the ankles seemed to not work with the line of the top, and made him seem bottom heavy. And standing between Misha and Max on the podium, my thought was along the lines of why wasn't he wearing what they were on the bottom. We've talked on other threads about men's costuming rules. I would love to see Yuzu take the risk and go for a finish that's tight to the top of the leg.

Interesting comment on the pants, in his Etude costume which is very similar to this new one I think the blue does extend diagonally down one side of his leg, almost like a cascade of water.

As for the saggy looseness, I agree. One of the reasons I love attending practices is I get to see Yuzuru skate in his Under Armor training gear which is nice and snug. I remember last year seeing the videos of him practicing Seimei for the first time at Autumn Classic in 2015 in his training gear and loving the simple cross rolls he did, but when he put on the baggy top of his costume I could no longer see the way he curved his back which I thought really added to the performance. I was talking to some others about his costumes while we were waiting for the free skate and how I wanted something a bit more form fitting for him this season, last season he had two baggy and loose type costumes. So at least I got my wish this season for the top.

I'd also drop the extra flowy fabric on the shoulder as 4everchan mentioned, I don't think it's needed, although it might look better in motion than in stills.

LeeJiHye19

Final Flight
I don't like his FS costume and my reasons are:

1) I feel that I've seen him wear that in Etude without the green color. And
2) It's too "girly" (imo) with the extra fabric on his shoulder. Yes! the idea he has for his FS costume is good but I would rather see him wear something like his Seimei or Ballade costume. With that, I actually like his SP costume more, Too white though! And I surprisingly like his white pants too. I think that's his way of showing us the Prince era. And the white pants is very unique.

Last edited: