2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP

Barb

Record Breaker
Patrick Chan's SS are to die for. He has both speed, precision, and fluidity.

I'm going to disagree with you on Asada. People need to stop trying to make up excuses for her lack of speed by saying she has "control and edge and whatever". Her SS is very intricate, but she's so slow through it. Her speed actually decelerates during her SS, probably a trade-off in maintaining that quality.

Actually she always is fast at step seq considering the quality of steps. When I see a fast skater, at least in women they are slow at SS when it is a difficult one and they are fast just when they are doing an easy and usually wild unrefined step seq.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Patrick Chan's SS are to die for. He has both speed, precision, and fluidity.

I'm going to disagree with you on Asada. People need to stop trying to make up excuses for her lack of speed by saying she has "control and edge and whatever". Her SS is very intricate, but she's so slow through it. Her speed actually decelerates during her SS, probably a trade-off in maintaining that quality.

Patrick has superior edges and a greater impression of "power" but Hanyu arguably gains as much if not more speed through fewer difficult steps and turns with little to no visible effort...

There is nothing about "speed" in the criteria. Just "power/energy and acceleration." Even so, that is only one aspect (and in the entire scope of the component, a minor thing). She is the only person currently who can execute intricate steps and turns (as seen in the step sequences) with that level of flow, effortlessness, continuity, posture, and overall whole-body quality. Even in the choreographic sequence of her last free skate. Can any lady even do a change-of-edge spiral (not the leg was a bit bouncy but the edge control as spot on) anymore? No, she doesn't skate as fast, but in terms of the other lades, their speed should not make up for their lack of quality skating and acceleration through difficult steps and turns coupled with her level of aplomb and finished, purposeful, deliberate body movement. Don't be ridiculous...

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
May or may not be able to join later on.

So, all the best to those that I will definitely miss while eating, and all the best to those that I may miss after tea.

Especially Queen Mao, Kaetlyn, Sima, Pogo and Liza, of course!

CaroLiza_fan

Unfortunately, I didn't manage to get back. :disapp:

But, it is good to see that (for the most part) my girls filled the top positions!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

To mis-quote Meatloaf, "four out of five ain't bad"! :agree:

And if I slip off topic to the FS, it was five out of five!!! :bow:

:cheer: WELL DONE GIRLS!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

Meoima

Match Penalty
Mao is annoying me so much. I can't get over how she doesn't try a Triple-Triple. IT MAKES NO SENSE. One of the most talented skaters ever and she just throws points away for NO reason. Truly one of the most baffling things ever in the history of a skater. She was doing 3Flip+3Toe consistently in the 2007-2008 season and then suddenly...never again. Not a single attempt. IT MAKES NO SENSE.
But after that she got too many UR calls you know. Now she is quite too old to train 3F3T again I am afraid.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Mao is annoying me so much. I can't get over how she doesn't try a Triple-Triple. IT MAKES NO SENSE. One of the most talented skaters ever and she just throws points away for NO reason. Truly one of the most baffling things ever in the history of a skater. She was doing 3Flip+3Toe consistently in the 2007-2008 season and then suddenly...never again. Not a single attempt. IT MAKES NO SENSE.

don't you think that there may be a reason indeed? seriously... one of the best skaters ever knows what she can do and not do... she is a bit older, she wants to pace herself so she can make it to the olympics...

it's a bit like Patrick... he is not going to go crazy learning 10293 new jumps and getting an injury.

I actually have respect for competitors of a high level like these guys who know what they can handle and despite knowing they may not win, they stick to their plan instead of rushing through things. Mao almost won this competition in the end, with only 4 triples... that's probably going to boost her confidence, and whenever (IF) she is ready to upgrade, either with a 3-3 or a 3A for the SP, she will become very competitive again.

I dislike these types of comments because they imply that skaters don't know what they are doing... Mao is the only one who knows how training feels on her body and what she can achieve at this point.

mary01

Final Flight
don't you think that there may be a reason indeed? seriously... one of the best skaters ever knows what she can do and not do... she is a bit older, she wants to pace herself so she can make it to the olympics...

it's a bit like Patrick... he is not going to go crazy learning 10293 new jumps and getting an injury.

I actually have respect for competitors of a high level like these guys who know what they can handle and despite knowing they may not win, they stick to their plan instead of rushing through things. Mao almost won this competition in the end, with only 4 triples... that's probably going to boost her confidence, and whenever (IF) she is ready to upgrade, either with a 3-3 or a 3A for the SP, she will become very competitive again.

I dislike these types of comments because they imply that skaters don't know what they are doing... Mao is the only one who knows how training feels on her body and what she can achieve at this point.

No need to mention an easy 3-3 combo we all know Mao prefers 3f-3lo or 3f-3t which are far more difficult combo's and which she is used to practicing from young age, she is probably going to upgrade her technical content later in the season, there is really no reason for her to go full force from the beginning of the season, she also said in a recent interview she is going to take it Mao pace, meaning when she feels it's needed and in top form she will begin to upgrade!

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
No need to mention an easy 3-3 combo we all know Mao prefers 3f-3lo or 3f-3t which are far more difficult combo's and which she is used to practicing from young age, she is probably going to upgrade her technical content later in the season, there is really no reason for her to go full force from the beginning of the season, she also said in a recent interview she is going to take it Mao pace, meaning when she feels it's needed and in top form she will begin to upgrade!
But please... 3F3Lo is easy to get dinged. I'd say Mao should have ditched 3F3Lo and gone for 3F3T years ago.

mary01

Final Flight
But please... 3F3Lo is easy to get dinged. I'd say Mao should have ditched 3F3Lo and gone for 3F3T years ago.

yes i know, and I agree I wish she brings back the 3f-3t she had a huge and flawless one back in 2008 (the one at 2008 Worlds was a thing of beauty), I never understood why she suddenly stopped doing it! but then again if she didn't stop doing it back then and replaced it with a second 3A in the fs we wouldn't have her break the record with two 3A's :love: But regardless i hope and would love to see Mao bring back the 3f-3t, it was a thing of beauty!

Warwick360

Medalist
yes i know, and I agree I wish she brings back the 3f-3t she had a huge and flawless one back in 2008 (the one at 2008 Worlds was a thing of beauty), I never understood why she suddenly stopped doing it! but then again if she didn't stop doing it back then and replaced it with a second 3A in the fs we wouldn't have her break the record with two 3A's :love: But regardless i hope and would love to see Mao bring back the 3f-3t, it was a thing of beauty!

Maybe she has problem with triple toe in a second half of a combo. If she could, I'm guessing she probably would. One thing I do hope is that she does not push her luck with Lutz in the Short. Kept giving her lower marks than she could have got with anything else. :/

mary01

Final Flight
Maybe she has problem with triple toe in a second half of a combo. If she could, I'm guessing she probably would. One thing I do hope is that she does not push her luck with Lutz in the Short. Kept giving her lower marks than she could have got with anything else. :/

Well she usually does flawless 2a-3t combo's that sometimes get quite huge, I think she just seems to have a special love and obsession with 3-3lo combo's, it's just seems like the combo's she is most comfortable with, besides 3lo always seemed like the type of jumps she preferred and could do in sleep, and i can just imagine that she would rather put a combo she is usually most comfortable with to do under pressure then a combo she is uncomfortable with, which could add more pressure. But really i don't know, she used to do both 3-3 combo's in the same program, and despite having 2 3-3 combo's it was rock solid thoughout the season, we can only hope she brings it back eventually!