2016 JGP Germany Ladies FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 JGP Germany Ladies FS

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I have to catch up the event, so just am checking on the final resut;

2nd Yuna Shiraiwa

4th Stanislava Konstantinova

Contrary results to the one at Saransk in Russia where Yuna S. in 4th, Stanislava in 2nd. :dev3:

Yuna S. might've felt relieved a bit with the result although she didn't win (even if so, her chance for JGPF would've been slim) as the Japanese field gets deeper and she seems to have struggled with injuries and puberty spurts. Good job, Shiraiwa!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Sincerely I'd like to say "Thank You" to those panel judges at this event who had to sit at the venue watching 37 little girls skating with undivided attention and a cool head, which is really a very very hard job! Very well done, guys! :thumbsup:

kimganos

On the Ice
While I like many of the JPG ladies this year, this one just leaves me shaking my head and saying, "..and she is only 13!" Let us hope she remains uninjured and adapts to her " yet to arrive" new body unscathed. In five years, many of these young ladies could provide one of the most exciting Olys ever....

:agree: The talent level of the JPG ladies is phenomenal! I hope puberty is kind to all these young ladies. Anastasiia's arm movement is exquisite. It is too bad only 6 of the girls can qualify for the final. Eunsoo Lim is special. Her charisma reaches to the top seat in the arena.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
While I like many of the JPG ladies this year, this one just leaves me shaking my head and saying, "..and she is only 13!" Let us hope she remains uninjured and adapts to her " yet to arrive" new body unscathed. In five years, many of these young ladies could provide one of the most exciting Olys ever....

Yap,

the critical years will come, that's why each one of them should enjoy the Moment. ;)

And why Fans and Media should be Kind to the ladies and take their doubts away from them.

topaz emerald

Match Penalty
Gubanova is amazing but can anyone fix her jumps? I hope she will improve her technique. Right now her jumps are scary and her landings mwke me feel uncomfortable because her upper body is too forward. It's like she jumps up and drops down too quickly.

her torso is too stiff, so when she skates it just looks awkward. I find her more stiff than Gracie Gold.

scratch that....Gracie's torso isn't stiff, just her arms in the past, but she has improved her arms in her latest lp.

Last edited:

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
I don't want to be mean, but I think she isn't going to have a lot of success with this change. She didn't look promising at all, so or she is currently incapable of doing better or she underestimated the level of her competitors or she doesn't care much about skating anymore (which is totally allowed of course!). Seriously, if she can't medal at Italian Nationals (where the level isn't that high and the best juniors still have to compete as juniors), I don't believe her prospects are any good

I agree and for this simple reason, I can never understand why some skaters change countries, at least from the US to another country. Competition is competition and to win a JGP/GP/Four Continents/etc, you still have to beat the best. So what if you're "the best" from a weaker country, if you still can't beat the best around the world, you are right back to where you started - unless I'm missing something, I just can't get my head around this strategy.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I agree and for this simple reason, I can never understand why some skaters change countries, at least from the US to another country. Competition is competition and to win a JGP/GP/Four Continents/etc, you still have to beat the best. So what if you're "the best" from a weaker country, if you still can't beat the best around the world, you are right back to where you started - unless I'm missing something, I just can't get my head around this strategy.

Well, it gives you chance to compete at international competitions regardless of how you place there, there are many talented skaters burried in the standinds and not able to compete internationally

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Most skaters know that they aren't going to win or even medal at every competition. But that isn't the only reason to compete. You try to improve yourself, you skate for new audiences, you get to travel and see other countries. By your logic only the tiny handful of skaters who can expect to medal should ever bother competing anywhere.

And switching countries has worked well for many skaters...Daniel Samohin, Alexei Krasnozhon, Alexei Bychenko. Elizabet Tursynbaeva started out competing for Russia, I believe. I'm sure there are many more examples.

edit - and one more point; if you can't make the team in a country like the US or Russia, you probably get zero outside financial support. While smaller feds may give very limited financial support to even their top skaters, it may be better than nothing at all.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker

As an athlete your first goal is to compete. Beating your own personal bests, showing the audience your programs, this is as important, maybe even more important than a victory. I think, in the USA someone who competes has to win, but in many other nations, competing is the ultimate goal. Going to an Olympics, 4CC or just a JGP is a big story, a big achievement for an athlete.

FS is unlike tennis, everyone can go to a Grand Slam if he or she enters the top 100, but in Figure Skating you could be the top 15 and yet miss out on Worlds each year.

Look at Finland a few years ago. Susanna, Kiira and Laura, all world class, but only one or two could go. This is a pity and why some skaters decide to switch. It´s also about the come together with others, there are skater parties, new cities to discover and so on. It´s really not all about the gold.

skatelikewind1966

On the Ice
As an athlete your first goal is to compete. Beating your own personal bests, showing the audience your programs, this is as important, maybe even more important than a victory. I think, in the USA someone who competes has to win, but in many other nations, competing is the ultimate goal. Going to an Olympics, 4CC or just a JGP is a big story, a big achievement for an athlete.

FS is unlike tennis, everyone can go to a Grand Slam if he or she enters the top 100, but in Figure Skating you could be the top 15 and yet miss out on Worlds each year.

Look at Finland a few years ago. Susanna, Kiira and Laura, all world class, but only one or two could go. This is a pity and why some skaters decide to switch. It´s also about the come together with others, there are skater parties, new cities to discover and so on. It´s really not all about the gold.

Thanks for all of your insight (silverfoxes, matmuh, AlexD), I value your thoughts and perspectives regarding this issue. This board is so helpful and the sharing of thoughts/opinions/ facts is much appreciated!