2016 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016 Finlandia Trophy Free Dance

auser

Record Breaker
Well that tango was certainly very busy, but I'm not sure how much of a connection between themselves was there. It was like they are still in the "we're getting all these steps down" to work on the connection yet. A tango without tension.

On the plus side, they're really put in a lot of work in the off season. I see a new commitment from them. They're really gunning for Russia #1 and it is already paying off for them. Beating H/D here is a HUGE deal.
While I admire their ability, some of their elements seem more akin to pair skating than ice dance.

Marta25

Medalist
Wow, losing with 7 points to S/B, when H/D were beating them with 13 points at Worlds. Really curious now how Skate America is going to look like.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
After watching Ice Dance this weekend I'm glad Sara Hurtado/Kiril Khaliavin are not training in Montreal like new partnership of Adria Diaz. Montreal has not enough ideas for all teams they are coaching....
Still I'm majorly afraid what Zhulin's gonna do with them ))))))))

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
Wow, losing with 7 points to S/B, when H/D were beating them with 13 points at Worlds. Really curious now how Skate America is going to look like.
hopefully IZ is gonna beat HD too

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Makes you wonder, why isn't ice coverage a criteria for twizzles? I think top couples do it anyways but it would be interesting to see if that was made mandatory.

A couple of seasons ago there was GOE criteria 'Speed and flow', but now it got cut out of the list. I think ISU did that for that exact reason: for skaters to try different DIFFICULT positions during twizzles, which don't have great ice coverage but still they are much more difficult than others. Stepanova/Bukin's first set of twizzles is the most difficult from all the teams, and that's why it rewarded despite poor ice coverage.

Last edited:

Marta25

Medalist
hopefully IZ is gonna beat HD too

I hope so, too. H/D Short Dance feels like I/Z`s Queen SD from last year. Interesting idea but it`s not really hitting the judges`taste. The FD is just the usual Montreal style. This season is going to be interesting.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
According to Anastasia Skoptcova`s ask (she is skating in Kustarova`s group), they are back in full training.

That will be really interesting SA: Bobrova/Soloviev (who won their Challenger) vs the Shibs (we didn't even see them yet) vs Ilinykh/Zhiganshin (under Igot Shpilband now) vs Hubbel/Donohue (at home).

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I don't think it very likely, S/B won and with those huge GOE from their amazing twizzles alone.
We haven't seen them yet so for now I decided to be positive IZ have better skills than SB & the music is very encouraging

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
That will be really interesting SA: Bobrova/Soloviev (who won their Challenger) vs the Shibs (we didn't even see them yet) vs Ilinykh/Zhiganshin (under Igot Shpilband now) vs Hubbel/Donohue (at home).

It's more that it will be interesting in terms of a competition. As far as the dances go, not so much. So far most of the programs are a snoozefest.There hasn't been one senior FD I'm really excited about so far, except perhaps for Hawayek and Baker.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

most of recent Ice Dance results makes me wonder how the whole season is going to look like...It could be a scoring love/hate rollercoaster like last season pretty much,but with worse programs I'm afraid (watching so far this season) - for me so far most of FDs are eiher 1) some kind of copy of Papadakis/Cizeron;s style or 2) basically the same like last season (yes, Anna and Luca) or 3) too mismatch-y/experimental/with more of pairs elements than Ice Dance flow...:slink:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm far from an ice dance expert, but Stepanova and Bukin have always seemed rather "clunky" to me. Today was no exception. :slink:

I prefer H/D to them.

As an aside, where are WeaPo? Are they not doing any senior Bs this fall?

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
most of recent Ice Dance results makes me wonder how the whole season is going to look like...It could be a scoring love/hate rollercoaster like last season pretty much,but with worse programs I'm afraid (watching so far this season) - for me so far most of FDs are eiher 1) some kind of copy of Papadakis/Cizeron;s style or 2) basically the same like last season (yes, Anna and Luca) or 3) too mismatch-y/experimental/with more of pairs elements than Ice Dance flow...:slink:

Well give your Poles credit. The two halves of the dances aren't seamless, but at least it's FUN. I won't be bored watching them.

Marta25

Medalist

I think that anything can happen, tbh. What is becoming apparent to me is that the judges are going away from the determined results and rankings, instead we see more and more that teams are judged based on the performance of the day.

This season it also seems like it`s very important to hit the levels in the SD. Last year, teams could compensate a lower level with good GOE, but this is not working this year. I expect that a team will need around 70 points to reach the top 10 at Worlds and probably a score close to 80 to be in contention for a medal.