Skate Detroit, July 21-24 | Golden Skate

Skate Detroit, July 21-24

Thanks for the reminder, Sylvia.

Joe, to see the list of skaters I think you have to go club by club. Use the drop-down menu where it says "Sked by Club."

Wow, this is a huge event. There seem to be a hundred skaters or more, in skill-level groups.

You can also pre-order a video of your favorite skater.

Mathman:)

Sylvia

Record Breaker
For a list of skaters in each level by group, click on the link for each day in "Daily Schedules Wed Thu Fri Sat" at http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=2170

Note: This is the list of registered skaters -- there are usually always scratches due to injury or other reasons. For example, I know that among the senior ladies, Erica Archambault (2003 junior champ) has withdrawn due to injury and Alex Patterson is returning from an injury and may only compete in the short program.

Senior men looks to be an exciting event, with Ryan Jahnke, Jordan Brauninger, Rohene Ward, Parker Pennington plus Fedor Andreev and Chris Mabee from Canada!

--Sylvia

This has to be the most convoluted web page for figure skating' All I am looking for is the senior men and ladies entries and I haven't got a clue which club they come from.

Sylvia whereever you got that list of men and could list some of the ladies?

Predictions

Although I am against predicting without any reason, I will predict Jordan Brauniger because he did so well in Jrs. last year. Maybe he will be the 2010
Oly Champ.

If Kimmie Meissner is listed I will also predict her because I've seen her skate last year and the news of her 8 triples is impressive. She will definitely be the one we speak a lot of at the end of Nats.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Senior Ladies SP (Friday) - link to list of registered skaters: http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/cdb/sked_kid_event.asp?EventWanted=37&cdb=c04sk8dtw&compID=1

Senior Ladies FS (Saturday): http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/cdb/sked_kid_event.asp?EventWanted=42&cdb=c04sk8dtw&compID=1

Skaters that have previously qualified for US Nationals include: Erica Archambault (withdrawn due to injury), Alissa Czisny, Amber Czisny, Suzy McDonald, Natalie Mecher, Alexandra Patterson (recovering from an injury--not sure if she's competing). There are also international competitors -- Finland's Alisa Drei, Holland's Martine Zuiderwyk, and a couple of Canadian ladies.

Senior Pairs SP (Thursday):
Totmianina/Marinin
Hinzmann/Parchem
Roth/Hartsell
Castile/Okolski (senior debut)
I've heard that Canada's Putnam/Wirtz may have scratched from SP and FS.

--Sylvia

But evidently the judges did, LOL.

Senior Pairs results (4 entries)

1. Totmianina/Marinin
2. Hizmann/Parchem
3. Castle/Okolski
4. Roth/Hartsell

Senior men (10 entries):

1. Jordan Brauninger
2, Ryan Jahnke
3. Rohene Ward
4. Parker Pennington
5. Christopher Maybe

Senior Ladies (17 -- Alsia Drei withdrew)

1. Alissa Czisny
2. Amber Czisny

Charlie White won the Junior Men and William Brewster won the Novice Men.

Complete results:

http://www.sk8stuff.com/utility/lister_event_detail.asp?id=2170

Click on "Result Summary" for PDF, click on "Results by Event" for easier to read HTML.

This was a huge event. For instance, in Novice there were 16 boys and 80 girls!

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Ryan came in second?!?! Awesome!! Good for him!! :love:

Thanx for posting the results Mathman. :D

Mathman said:
Senior Pairs results (4 entries)

1. Jordan Brauninger
2, Ryan Jahnke
3. Rohene Ward
4. Parker Pennington
5. Christopher Maybe

This was a huge event. For instance, in Novice there were 16 boys and 80 girls!

Hey, Mathman, I predicted one. This guy you will be following in the next few years. Is he eligible for US Seniors this coming Nats?

With all those entries you mentioned, it is heartwarming to see there is no shortage of skaters coming into the fold. But, aside from family and friends is the public getting back some interest?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
This guy you will be following in the next few years. Is he eligible for US Seniors this coming Nats?

Jordan Brauninger made his senior debut at Nationals last year in Atlanta and placed 10th. He had some problems landing his triple axel during Nationals, but the improvement on this jump was *very* evident at Skate Detroit. Brauninger's new techno/dance SP is a real crowd pleaser (he plans to debut his new "Pirates of the Caribbean" FS (junior length version) at his JGP event in France next month), while Ryan Jahnke debuted two *gorgeously* choreographed new programs by Tom Dickson. Rohene Ward skated quite well overall, landing the best triple axel (with regard to height, distance & flow out, IMO) in both the SP and FS and wowed the crowd with his flexibility moves and spins. It was a high quality senior men's field!

SkateWeb has senior men's reports, among a few others, up at:
http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/reports/2004-skate-detroit.shtml

Last edited:
Sylvia - That Men's event must have been a humdinger. I remember Rohene in Atlanta but not Brauniger. I must not have thought much of Brauniger then but I did with Rohene. I think if Rohene connects, he will be a force in the Men's Nats as will Brauniger.

Ryan was so good in the QR in DC Worlds but he hasn't done as well since. He's on my "let's see" list.

Joe

Joe, about fan interest, I don't know the attendance figure for all of the events. But the venue is fairly small (maybe 2000 capacity?), so by the time all of the relatives for several hundred skaters show up, it doesn't take much more public interest to get a full house.

The Winter cheesefest, by comparison, featuring some of the top skaters in the world, is held at the Palace. Its capacity is about 20,000, and Michelle et. al. typically draw around 10,000-12,000, I think

The Skate Detroit event was hardly publicized at all. The only reason I even knew about it was because of GS (Northernlite and then Sylvia posted about it). It wasn't mentioned in the sports pages, nor was there a write-up of the event afterwards.

I am going to write a blistering letter to our Detroit Free Press skating and Olympic sports columnist, JoAnn Barnas, about it. :laugh: The other Detroit paper, the News, does not cover figure skating at all, not even Nationals and Worlds. I have to go to the bookstore and buy the Toronto papers to find out anything.

Sylvia, thanks for the link to the reports. This sentence caught my eye:

"I was told that the parallel CoP judging panel had the results reversed in both the short and the long: Jordan would have won the short and Ryan would have won the long."

Very interesting!

Mathman

Last edited:

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Mathman said:
"I was told that the parallel CoP judging panel had the results reversed in both the short and the long: Jordan would have won the short and Ryan would have won the long."

Very interesting!

Mathman

I did not see the short, so can't comment on that, but I can see that in the long. I was actually wondering who would win - because Jordan had the better program traditionally technically (ie less falls), but Ryan's had innovative spins, difficult and unusual jump entires, and flair. So did Rohene's. I do think that Jordan can be a force to be reckoned with - he's talented, but if he's going to skate against the big boys under CoP he's going to need more innovation. I understand that the LP he skated was last years, tho...

pipsqueak

Rinkside
What do you mean abt T & M?

To "...dragon" and "...thing called love"---

Hey guys--what about T&M and how they would/would not put the judges to sleep? What do you mean? For instance, no offense to anyone who thinks otherwise, but Scott and Dulebohn put me to sleep. I'd have rather watched others who had more "fire" and "connection" splat all over the place than watch them skate "clean", which they never did anyway. So, compared to them as a benchmark for me, what do you mean that T & M would put me to sleep....or conversely, what did the judges see?

euterpe

Medalist
I can understand why some people think T/M aren't exciting. They are almost entirely devoid of expression when they skate--like androids or robots. Everything they do is technically excellent, but there is something missing, and that is affect. It doesn't seem to matter what the music is.

I never could understand how they could skate to "West Side Story" and look so blank-faced. But they were also blank-faced for "Cotton Club" which was probably the worst program they ever did. They never 'get into' their music but are completely apart from it. They don't 'sell' their program, and that's why Shen/Zhao get much higher Skating Components marks than T/M.

shine

Record Breaker
I lurrrvs Cotton Club. The choreography is so complex and orginal. Sometimes body language works better than facial pretense :love:

lulu

Final Flight
euterpe said:
I .

I never could understand how they could skate to "West Side Story" and look so blank-faced. But they were also blank-faced for "Cotton Club" which was probably the worst program they ever did. They never 'get into' their music but are completely apart from it. They don't 'sell' their program, and that's why Shen/Zhao get much higher Skating Components marks than T/M.

I agree that sometimes T&M don't "get into" their music as much as they should. But what does "selling" the program have to do with Skating Components? I thought Skating Components were the in-betweens etc?