Concerned for my Mother's Health | Golden Skate

Concerned for my Mother's Health

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My mom is 86 years of age and was just recently diagnosed with angina. She recently moved and the day of her move had to be rushed to the hospital where the diagnosis was made. I just found out today, that she had to go to the hospital again to emergency. She keeps telling me everyday she is not feeling well. I am sick with worry.

:cry:

Glacierskater

On the Ice
My heart goes out to you. My grandparents are the same age as your mom, and I worry everyday too. I cannot imagine how hard this must be.

What is angina, and can it be treated?

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Angina is a weakened condition of the heart. No, at her age there is no real treatment except rest and medication. She has been very active all her life, so it's difficult seeing her slowing down.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
i am so sorry Lad that your Mom has been ill. Angina is chest pain caused by insufficient blood flow/oxygen to the heart muscle. On some people it occurs only on exertion and other folks have attacks with out any apparent reason. Nitroglycerin is used to treat it. Did your Mom overexert on moving day? Folks live with angina for years. On the bright side, now that your Mom has been diagnosed with heart disease she will be watched more closely. "Silent" heart attacks are a big killer of women who usually have no idea they have heart disease. Good luck. I will keep both of you in my prayers.

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Piel:

Thanks. No, but she was emotionally upset. The move has been quite a strain on her. She was complaining about being out of breath awhile back, but the day of the move was too much for her. Thanks for the info.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lad, my mom is 84 and I too worry about her everyday. Her spirit is young, but the body isn't. She's active and it's hard keeping her home and for that I am grateful but I know how hard it is to see her slowing down.

You're in my thoughts and prayers and so is your mom.

Dee

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Lad: Angina can EASILY be exacerbated by emotional stress (I work at a cardiovascular/pulmonary specialty center). PLEASE make sure your mother keeps her doctors' appointments--go with her if possible and ask questions and make sure they are answered. Angina can be controllable with rigorous and attentive medical therapy and proper followup and testing. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

Dr. Yaz

Vash01

Medalist
Lad,

Sorry to hear about your mom. It must be so hard for you to see her ill with a heart condition! On the bright side she seems to be getting good care. Good luck to her.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lad, so sorry to hear about your mom......I've been out of town for a couple of days and so out of the loop........keep us posted. Does she live near you? My mom is 81 and lives about 40 minutes away. I try to visit every other week to see is she needs anything. Something always happens when I'm not near, however. Keep us updated.........42

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Lad, I've been out of the loop a bit and missed your post. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's health.

When my grandmother was ill with bladder cancer, we were told that they would not do the usual surgery, only radiation. When the cancer recurred, they did operate, because by then, surgeons had reevaluated whether age was that pertinent in whether a patient should see surgery. So these days there are less restrictions on surgery for older people. My brother's father in law had a pacemaker put in at 95 and lived an additional 3 years.

I hope your mother will have treatment that helps her return to her active life.

Doris

Last edited: