The best technician in the world | Golden Skate

The best technician in the world

HanDomi

Record Breaker
So, I was always wondering about this.
Who is the best technical skater in the world. What is definition of it.

Is it Nathan Chen because he can land 4 diffrent quads, do ok spins, nice steps
Is it Boyang Jin because he can do huge quad lutz, so so spins, so so steps
Is it Hanyu because he can do 3 diffrent quads, but make them big, airy and easy from spread eagles, also perfect technique on 3A's etc, with great spins and steps.

Marina Zoueva wants us to believe it's Nathan Chen :biggrin: but what's your opinion on this definition

Current TES record holder is Hanyu with TES of 120 in LP I think with Fernandez coming 2nd with 116 and Jin with 110

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I'd give it to Yuzu (surpriiiiise!!:laugh: )

He's the most balanced regarding jumps, spins and steps and also regarding quantity vs quality (although his new 4 quad LP is, well... Too new to say, but I'd definitely say so about last years LP)

I'm also horribly biased towards my favorite jump, the 3A (my one true biggest skating bias, actually :biggrin: ). So the best technician needs to have a gorgeous 3A - sorry Nathan, but Yuzu's 3A it is!:love:

Last edited:

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I'd give to Yuzuru. He is best edge jumper for now, his 3A 4S and 4lo are out of this world quality, as well as his toe jumps are almost equally wonderful. His 4T sometimes is even better than his 4S .None of top men uses steps and transitions of Hanyu's difficulty in and out of jumps. Also his spins steps and overall quality is way superior than any other.
Nathan has jumps but their quality and execution is far, far away now , also his axel is very bad.
Boyang is great, amazing toe jumper but his quad sal and axel is weak.Also he doesn't jump loop at all.
Fernandez 4T and 3A are good but not Hanyu quality.

So for me its
1.Hanyu
2. Fernandez (quality wise)
3 Jin

Last edited:

Lys

Match Penalty
He's the most balanced regarding jumps, spins and steps and also regarding quantity vs quality (although his new 4 quad LP is, well... Too new to say, but I'd definitely say so about least years LP)

He's also the best balanced among them between toe vs edge jumps. Nathan's edge jumps (especially axel and loop but salchow is not much better) are far from perfect. Boayng is relatively weak on edge jumps as well (although his axel is much better than Nathan's, imo). Yuzuru prefers for sure edge jumps, but his toe ones are still high standard (even the flip which has been his weak one for ages).

And if I have to pick among them which is the "best" at any given jump right now:
4lz -> Boyang
4f -> Nathan
4lo -> Yuzu
4s -> Yuzu
4t -> Yuzu
3a -> Yuzu

Last edited:

mcq

Record Breaker
The definition of a technical skater : Best technician or Best Jumper?

Because I always assume good technique does not revolve only around jumps.
Having good quality edge, good speed, good flow in your skating means good technique too.
Having good speed, with centered position on spin means good technique too.

In my opinion good technician =/ good jumper. But skaters who on average has good technique in different aspect of skating. :biggrin:

For this reason, among current active male skaters, I would nominate Patrick and Yuzuru. :)

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
4lz - Boyang
4F - Nathan
4Lo - Yuzuru
4S - Yuzuru > Javi (because Yuzuru can do spread eagle quad Sal spread eagle)
4T - Yuzuru/Patrick > Javi
3A - Yuzuru > the rest of the field with Javi > Patrick a bit in 3A

Between Patrick and Javi, I choose Patrick because he has much better 3F and 3Lz and less pre rotation than Javi. Patrick has really good 4T3T.

Last edited:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The definition of a technical skater : Best technician or Best Jumper?

Because I always assume good technique does not revolve only around jumps.

And the OP didn't only make it about jumps ;) I personally thought about who is the best at all the technical elements - jumps, spins and steps.
Of course you are free to look at other aspects. But if we bring in skating skills, than IMO transitions should also count :)

mcq

Record Breaker
And the OP didn't only make it about jumps ;) I personally thought about who is the best at all the technical elements - jumps, spins and steps.
Of course you are free to look at other aspects. But if we bring in skating skills, than IMO transitions should also count :)

Oh sure, I know she did not. Since s/he is asking about whats your opinion on this definition in the OP, so I explain mine, that's all. :)

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I'm more drooling over jumps with a huge distance AND height than dense transitions to relatively small or medium-sized jumps. If a jump itself has great qualities, so wows me, I don't mind it has almost no transition at all although preceding steps are required though. ;) My favorite 3A so far in the current men's field is Han Yan's because his 3A has explosive power, fluidity and masculinity with a huuuuuuuuuge distance and height. :love: Nicolas Nadeau and Alexei Krasnozhon also have my type of 3A but they are still juniors.

My favorite jumpers in the current field.

4L: Boyang Jin
4F: Nathan Chen
4L: Yuzuru Hanyu (no choice really though until Krasnozhon lands it "cleanly" or others attempt)
4S: Javier Fernandez
4T: Patrick Chan
3A: Han Yan
3Lz: Adam Rippon (famous Rippon Lutz!) or Han Yan
3F: Yan Han
3L: Javier Fernandez
3S: Javier Fernandez

stsq and general SS: Patrick Chan
spins: Adam Rippon

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Jason Brown's spins >>>>>>>>>> Adam

And please when you have quads why do you count triples for those jumps :laugh2:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Jason Brown's spins >>>>>>>>>> Adam

And please when you have quads why do you count triples for those jumps :laugh2:

Why not? :confused2:
I prefer Adam's spins to Jason's. Jason is a great spinner but his style doesn't work for me. I felt inclined to include Adam's gorgeous Rippon 3Lutz!!!, so for all fairness, I included all triples. Some skaters tend to make silly mistakes a lot on triples like falling or popping after executing clean quads. :laugh:

mcq

Record Breaker
Since people list out MVP on jumps I feel like joining in and list mine :biggrin:
Note than I also consider consistency of landing this in competition as a consideration, not just how the quality is like when landed.

4Lz : Boyang (for now his is better than Nathan's, quality and consistency-wise too)
4F : Nathan (for now picking him over Shoma)
4Lo : Yuzuru (since yet to see anyone else lands it in competition, and even for 4Lo attempts in gala/practice, it is still not as good as Yuzuru's)
4S : Javier or Yuzuru (ease in landing, good flow out, good height/distance, and ofc in terms of current consistency)
4T : Patrick (would put Yuzuru but it seems like last season his 4T is not as it was in the 13/14 to 14/15 season. Patrick is perhaps one of the most consistent 4T-jumper, career-wise)
3A : Yuzuru hands down (It is not only a matter of height, distance or transition in/out of his 3As. But also his consistency on this jump is insane. His overall success rate for 3A in competition is >90%, higher than any other men competing)

I rarely pay attention enough to other (double/triple) jumps to compare who I like most and I think is the best.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why not? :confused2:
I prefer Adam's spins to Jason's. Jason is a great spinner but his style doesn't work for me. I felt inclined to include Adam's gorgeous Rippon 3Lutz!!!, so for all fairness, I included all triples. Some skaters tend to make silly mistakes a lot on triples like falling or popping after executing clean quads. :laugh:
Whether you like Jason or not he is still a great spinner, might be the best male spinner currently and his spins are really stable over most competition. Choosing something over your preferences doesn't mean it's true.
Adam couldn't do 4lz cleanly and even his 3lz isn't that stable.
And men fall on triples later in their programs with their quads landed cleanly doesn't mean they're bad at triples. Javi might fall at 1lo3S in the latter half of the program because he's tired and running out of gas. Then it's not their technical issue but more like stamina and concentration issue.

Last edited:

Lys

Match Penalty
No thanks. I hope you find your peace with YOUR list. :devil:

I was trying only to help since you clearly forgot to go down all the list!
I'll wait for you to complete your list with your actual best 3T and 2A then!

But since you asked, after reading yours and getting what's the logic behind it all, here my overall list:

4lz Adam,
4f Dai,
4lo Alexei (or Max once he will put it out),
4s Miki,
4t Jason
3a Chiddy

sorry, I'm not that good to go down all triples list.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Whether you like Jason or not he is still a great spinner, might be the best male spinner currently and his spins are really stable over most competition. Choosing something over your preferences doesn't mean it's true.
Adam couldn't do 4lz cleanly and even his 3lz isn't that stable.
And men fall on triples later in their programs with their quads landed cleanly doesn't mean they're bad at triples. Javi might fall at 1lo3S in the latter half of the program because he's tired and running out of gas. Then it's not their technical issue but more like stamina and concentration issue.

How isn't it untrue? Adam's spins get good GOEs and I've found Jason's flexible spins and spirals are really not my type. Opinion and preference can differ. Have I ever say Adam's 4Lz great? Please don't make a story that I haven't. His Rippon lutz looks to me very eye-pleasing, so I said so. Even if you feel otherwise, why should I care? :cool:

andromache

Record Breaker
Not saying he is the best technician (got to give it to Yuzu for all around quality of EVERYTHING, not only jumps) but I'm super impressed that Nathan has a 4Lz AND 4F, when a lot of male skaters tend to get a ! on one of their triple versions and/or simply avoid one of those (usually the 3F) because they have a bit of a lip. Sure, there are guys who have perfectly clean 3Lzes and 3Fs, but I imagine attempting quads of those jumps could lead to edge issues depending on which they favor.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the answer is Plushenko.

Because the jumps never fail him.

Seriously, how many times in his career did he ever fall in competition? You could probably count them on two hands and have fingers left over. Even at the end when he started deteriorating he still stayed on his feet, still rotated his jumps. There was never a doubt about rotation. The only question over technique was a ! flip but he's hardly the first man to have one, or last one.

His quad toe has remained stable and solid right through to the end, and everything else was also reliable. And for that reason I think he is the best.