Who is your favorite skater who is not alive | Golden Skate

Who is your favorite skater who is not alive

takura

On the Ice
Who is your favorite skater who is dead(not to be harsh).I don't really have one but I wan't to know yours. :laugh:

Figureskates

On the Ice
Easy.

Laurance Owen. I had the pleasure of seeing her skate when I was a kid when I visited my Grandmother in Boston during February vacation.

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Another vote for Laurence, although I've only seen bits of her skating on tape. She was essentially Janet Lynn before Janet Lynn--just the little bits I've managed to see brought me to tears. Laurence just lit up the ice and her edges and technique were purity defined. Her death was a tragic, tragic loss.

Ophir

Rinkside
Brian Pockar. A gorgeous young man with immense talent and style on the ice. It was a great loss when he passed.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Ophir said:
Brian Pockar. A gorgeous young man with immense talent and style on the ice. It was a great loss when he passed.

Yes, Brian was an inspiration. As well, Rob McCall (Tracy Wilson's ice dance partner). Rob was a great skater and very creative. Tracy always said Rob was the creative one and she the technician.

Vash01

Medalist
Sergei Grinkov. He was the only one I 'knew'. Other great skaters were before my time. Other notables are Brian Pockar and Rob McCall (Tracy Wilson's ice dance partner), but Sergei was my most favorite. His death was the end of G&G- one of my most favorite pairs ever, and I miss him.

KatyaFan

Rinkside
Сергей Гриньков - Грация и Красивый!!!!

Sergei Grinkov - Graceful and Beautiful!!!

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
Skatepixie

Skatepixie, do you mean Katia Gordeeva? She's still alive, dear. If that is not the Katia you mean then I apologize for my mistake.

At any rate, my choice would be Sergei Grinkov. The man was smooth and there would never be another like him.

Olenska

Rinkside
I'd have to say Rob McCall. He and Tracy were so entertaining to watch. And he showed such promise as a choreographer. :cry:

skatepixie

On the Ice
No...I know who Katia is. Sashasbeau mentioned Kira Ivanova...and I didnt know who that was, so I asked...

Vash01

Medalist
Kira Ivanova was the 1984 Olympic bronze medalist, but she went downhill from there and finished quite low in the 1988 Olympics (I don't remember her final palcement). A few years ago (may have been last year, actually) she was found murdered.