Who is your favorite skater who is not alive | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who is your favorite skater who is not alive

skatepixie

On the Ice
Vash01 said:
Kira Ivanova was the 1984 Olympic bronze medalist, but she went downhill from there and finished quite low in the 1988 Olympics (I don't remember her final palcement). A few years ago (may have been last year, actually) she was found murdered.

Eeek! Scary! :(

thisthingcalledlove

Final Flight
Vash01 said:
Kira Ivanova was the 1984 Olympic bronze medalist, but she went downhill from there and finished quite low in the 1988 Olympics (I don't remember her final palcement). A few years ago (may have been last year, actually) she was found murdered.

She finished 7th in the 88 Olympics. SHe was 1st after the figures, finished 7th (i think) in the SP to be 4th overall, then 9th in the FS

Hi Mrs. Redboots. Thanks for joining Golden Skate, and welcome to the Forum. We have several active posters from Great Britain, and we really want to make GS an international forum!

Mathman:)

linda vanwormer

Rinkside
I'm fascinated by Madge Syers, first olympic gold medalist. She and her husband Edgar really got everything going for women figure skaters. I would love to see some footage. I imagine it would be almost laughable today, but at the time she was unstoppable.

Wow, this originally is an old thread I'd never noticed since I joined.....

Beings that I haven't been into skating but for just over a decade, I'd have to say Sergei Grinkov.

millie

Medalist
linda vanwormer said:
I'm fascinated by Madge Syers, first olympic gold medalist. She and her husband Edgar really got everything going for women figure skaters. I would love to see some footage. I imagine it would be almost laughable today, but at the time she was unstoppable.

I was also thinking of Madge Syers. The first World Championship for men was held in 1896. In 1902a woman, Madge Syers, enteres the men's competition and came in second. The ISU banned women from competing against men, but established a separate competition for "ladies" in 1906. She was the first lady to win a Gold medal evev at the Olympics (1908)

Lois

Rinkside
John Curry, Rob McCall, and Canadian Dennis Coi, who, sadly, I only saw on video after his death. He had the best layback spin I've ever seen a man do. Also, although I only saw one solo number from him, in (I think) a PBS skating special from Baltimore around '89 with one of the Curry offshoot companies, the late Shaun McGill did a fantastic number to "Street Music" that made me want to see more of his skating.

Lois

S

SkateFan4Life

Without being morbid, my favorite deceased skaters are:

John Curry - the brilliant 1976 Olympic men's champion. Unparalled artistry, flow, elegance, and great jumps. The world lost one of its best skaters when John passed away from Aids in 1991.

Sergei Grinkov - Katia Gordeeva's wonderful pairs partner. I always loved to watch them skate, as they were the essence of pairs skating - "the two shall skate as one", as Dick Button said. Sergei was such a wonderful husband and father. The world lost another one of its best skaters when Sergei passed away from a heart attack in November 1995.

Hana Maskova, the leggy, lovely Czechoslovakian figure skater who won the World bronze medal in 1967-1968, and won the Olympic bronze medal in 1968 behind Peggy Fleming and Gaby Seyfert. Hana's programs were full of high, powerful jumps, and she was absolutely gorgeous to watch. The world lost yet another one of its best skaters when Hana was killed in an automobile accident in 1970.

Other wonderful deceased skaters include Brian Pocker, the wonderful Canadian singles skater, and Rob McCall, the Canadian ice dance skater, who with partner Tracy Wilson, won the World bronze medal in 1986 - 1988 and the Olympic bronze medal in 1988. The world lost two more wonderful skaters when Brian and Bob died from Aids.

Eeyora

Final Flight
John Curry- He was before my time but I saw a video clip of his Olympic performance. It amazed me.

Sergei Grinkov-What more can I say about him aqn Katia. Perhaps the best pair of all time. They had everything.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I forgot to mention that I also really enjoyed Russian ice dancer Ludmilla Pakhamova, who died of cancer. She and her partner/husband, Alexander Gorskov won the first Olympic Ice Dancing gold medal in Innsbruck, 1976 and 5 World Championships.

LarasB

Rinkside
Sergei Grinkov - It'll be 10 years this November since Sergei died and I still miss not seeing him and Katia skating. He was a wonderful skater and a loving husband and father.