Practice reports? | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Practice reports?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I didn't read after music choice of Shibitunis being risky :laugh: Oh yeah. :laugh:

The music isn't risky but trying to interpret a program to it is. It runs the risk of falling flat if they do not perform up to it. If anything this is, IMO, a purity of technique program.

Actually it's similar to Jason Brown's FS in that regard. His music/free skate got the same criticisms -- boring, one-note, etc. etc. But when people saw him perform it live they had a different reaction.

elif

Medalist
The music isn't risky but trying to interpret a program to it is. It runs the risk of falling flat if they do not perform up to it. If anything this is, IMO, a purity of technique program.

What If they fell flat? Please... I have seen countless junior or senior team copying this style, this season it is Shibs. If you don't interpret there is no punishment, you are not going to lose your place, you still going to win medals. But If you fell flat on program like Chock/Bates oh yeah, this is risky. Shibs style is most safe, most lazy style of ice dance.

Excuse of this style is always technical purity, you would think it is so hard to skate. :drama: If you watch a junior grand prix you will see half of it skate same style. Because it is easier to skate this ''pure''. If juniors skate anything other than that, you have to see how they mess up.:laugh: You are watching a junior skating ''pure'' style, you think they are ready for more and next year they are skating other than safe style, offff you had to watch it. :laugh: I think ISU should write a rule, every junior teams should copy this safe style. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
What If they fell flat? Please... I have seen countless junior or senior team copying this style, this season it is Shibs. If you don't interpret there is no punishment, you are not going to lose your place, you still going to win medals. But If you fell flat on program like Chock/Bates oh yeah, this is risky. Shibs style is most safe, most lazy style of ice dance.

Excuse of this style is always technical purity, you would think it is so hard to skate. :drama: If you watch a junior grand prix you will see half of it skate same style. Because it is easier to skate this ''pure''. If juniors skate anything other than that, you have to see how they mess up.:laugh: You are watching a junior skating ''pure'' style, you think they are ready for more and next year they are skating other than safe style, offff you had to watch it. :laugh: I think ISU should write a rule, every junior teams should copy this safe style. :biggrin:

De gustibus.

I'd also argue that the junior teams that do this same style of dance don't have the technical ability of the Shibs either. You keep throwing that they "skate small" as if that should invalidate the skills they DO have. And even in that regard, I think it's clear they're working on improving on that too.

When you have The Skating Lesson praising them, which hasn't been the case in the past, there's something at play in that arena we're not seeing in video.

We'll see how the judges respond.

Last edited:

elif

Medalist
De gustibus.

I'd also argue that the junior teams that do this same style of dance don't have the technical ability of the Shibs either. You keep throwing that they "skate small" as if that should invalidate the skills they DO have. And even in that regard, I think it's clear they're working on improving on that too.

When you have The Skating Lesson praising them, which hasn't been the case in the past, there's something at play in that arena we're not seeing in video.

We'll see how the judges respond.

Skating small invalidate skills they have because it means less speed. Less speed is easier to control. Trying to skate bigger curvers will mess up control, timing and it is not going to look tidy. If twizzles covers the ice, it is harder to secure. Skating ''small'' is easy. From the look of it they are content with that. :slink:

With enough motivation everyone can praise everything. It is in America, America's top team is there. What can I say?:laugh: Every year I listened how good Belbin/Agosto are, how good Chock/Bates are.... This time how good Shibs are...

Barb

Record Breaker
About Shibs program, what is Spiegel, is a song, a group?, why everybody seems so familiar with it?

edit. I found it. is a musical piece, but it is not so popular, first time in my life I hear it, I don´t understand why people says is easy to skate, easy Phantom of the opera, easy/not risky a bollywood program :p (joke)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS0FPVOU5e0

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Skating small invalidate skills they have because it means less speed. Less speed is easier to control. Trying to skate bigger curvers will mess up control, timing and it is not going to look tidy. If twizzles covers the ice, it is harder to secure. Skating ''small'' is easy. From the look of it they are content with that. :slink:

With enough motivation everyone can praise everything. It is in America, America's top team is there. What can I say?:laugh: Every year I listened how good Belbin/Agosto are, how good Chock/Bates are.... This time how good Shibs are...

Ah. Got it.

Well as a counter as Carol Lane said, coach of a team who would benefit from any devaluing of the Shibs, the Shibs are two of the best technicians in the world. Despite their historically lack of power when they were younger, many experts have noted their on-ice skill even before their improvements. Yes, that's an appeal to authority, but those folks seem to know what they're talking about.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Guess we'll agree to disagree. Lots of non-Americans have praised their blade control and have not once mentioned that it's because they skate small to make easier.

jcmerman

Rinkside
ummmm, the thread title is "Practice Reports". I really don't wanna hear people's opinion on programs. Stick to the topic. It would be nice to hear about "Practice Reports". Carry on!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ummmm, the thread title is "Practice Reports". I really don't wanna hear people's opinion on programs. Stick to the topic. It would be nice to hear about "Practice Reports". Carry on!

Practices have ended! We're 15 minutes from the Men's SP!

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
If I didn't know better, I would always mistake Charlie Bilodeau as Maxim Kovtun :laugh:. They look just alike except Charlie is more expressive/artistic/musical.
now that u've mentioned it I can see that!!:laugh:

thx everyone for the reports:bow:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@ last day of practice! Looks like mostly Japanese fans here...

I wont blame American fans after last night's lady's FS and medal ceremony.
Unfortunate, lady's is still the only thing people cares in US, if they care about figure skating at all.