2016 Skate America Pairs SP | Page 17 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate America Pairs SP

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not really sure how their [Seguin/Bilodeau] PCS score is so much lower than T/M.[Tarasova/Morozov].. I'd have it higher.

I was in the arena last night---I have to say that after S.B. skated, they got the second most tepid applause of the evening (Astakhova/Rogonov, who skated last, got the most tepid). S/B's music, Skokian was probably familiar to many in the crowd, as it was a song popular in the 1950's, and ice events are attended by many from that generation. They may have wondered why such a young couple would have chosen that piece of dre--uh--music to skate to. Julianne's costume was horrible---the green of the bodice was at odds with the fuschia strips of material hanging from it. And she is too short to wear such an outfit: it made her look thick in the middle, which she certainly isn't. So it's no wonder they lost PCS points to both the French and Russian couples, who appeared far more elegant in contrast, and had better music.

Lota

Record Breaker
Same reaction here. That really made my night. After the shock that I won't see him at Rostelecom, this was the sweetest surprise. Not that I understand anything, but listening to his voice...:luv17:

It was quite nice listening to him :) Althogh he wasn't always sure when or what to say, he did come prepared. He and Grishin laughed that, though it was uncharacteristic for him, he did prepare for this commenting job by watching the pairs' previous outings in competitions this season. It was nice hearing his input and professional opinion :yes:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I didn't care for her costume either. I think the line in the middle bisects her torso making her look less tall. I liked the music though.

Some people didn't like the 50 shades music of J/C but I think they have the connection to pull off that kind of routine.

skatemouse

On the Ice
:slink:

I'd put Klimov, Knierim and Morozov all in the lowest tier with regards to expression and interpretation.

Maybe last year but even then I keep seeing improvements from our top International USA team especially him with reach, expression, line. Just watch the Ex from Nats last year I was so impressed!! I have not seen the first two this year and I know Knierim has a lot to build on so will be really interesting to see their new programs. With them out but having a new choreographer who focuses on expression it will be exciting to see them! Really really missed them here!! It is nice when the USA can place with a team that has power and can stand toe to toe with the Russians and China in pair power elements, look, line, and speed. It was missing here from USA.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I put Denny and Frazier as my top USA Team (though I was a few spots off for now). While they don't have the power elements of Scimeca/Kneirm -- they do get the levels and get decent +GOE on the elements. This is a team that is always under the radar and then surprises, which is fun to see.

And in any case to be in this position after being off for an entire season is quite the statement. I'm not sure if they'll stay on the podium after the FS --I feel the free skate will be a bigger test for her -- but I think if they come up as the top US team at this competition, that will still be noteworthy.

LadyB

Record Breaker
It was quite nice listening to him :) Althogh he wasn't always sure when or what to say, he did come prepared. He and Grishin laughed that, though it was uncharacteristic for him, he did prepare for this commenting job by watching the pairs' previous outings in competitions this season. It was nice hearing his input and professional opinion :yes:

Thanks so much for that! :) I think Fedor's a more quiet guy who wants to do a job right. He has all the knowledge, but is not necessarily the type to venture his opinion on everything all the time. He did well.
If he keeps commenting, keep us posted with summaries of anything important/interesting he said, please! :cheer:

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I put Denny and Frazier as my top USA Team (though I was a few spots off for now). While they don't have the power elements of Scimeca/Kneirm -- they do get the levels and get decent +GOE on the elements. This is a team that is always under the radar and then surprises, which is fun to see.

And in any case to be in this position after being off for an entire season is quite the statement. I'm not sure if they'll stay on the podium after the FS --I feel the free skate will be a bigger test for her -- but I think if they come up as the top US team at this competition, that will still be noteworthy.

ITA. And personally I like seeing people I admire, like, and respect do well. I will try and have good thoughts about her getting her knee through the season and healing it up after the season in time for the Oly year. Then sit back and watch the shootout for the Oly team in San Jose! :popcorn: May all three teams have THAT season injury free....

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really enjoyed Denney/Frazier and unlike many on this thread, I like their music. I think if they skate it clean at Nationals, when the music swells and she hits that beautiful position in the last lift, the crowd is going to go nuts. I got chills last night just picturing it. What a personal triumph last night was for her and the smile on her face was a true Kodak moment.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Just because one is openly expressive and in you're face about it doesn't make one a great artist/interpreter and just because one doesn't do any of that doesn't mean they aren't. The rest of the body counts too and in many ways even more. Expression is far more then just the face. Sometimes over the top expressions blinds people to the fact that below the neck everything else is less then OMG amazing. T/M aren't the best with facial expressions, and need to work on that and other things (I blame their team for packaging them poorly), but they were far superior to everybody else below the neck and deserve the PCS marks they got.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
im sad to say but I found this duet of commentators pretty boring especially in comparison to TAT/Grishin & Max T/Grishin or Serg Voronov :hopelessness:

whatif

Medalist
Not sure if this is already discussed but I am looking at the protocols and notice that the Chinese judges' scores have been nullified? Was she not there?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not sure if this is already discussed but I am looking at the protocols and notice that the Chinese judges' scores have been nullified? Was she not there?

@LynnRutherford
#SkateAmerica Judge 6, Tianyi Zhang of China, wasn't on pairs' panel last night. Due to miscommunication, she didn't make it to the arena.
10:47 AM - 22 Oct 2016
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/789885927049072640

Super happy for Denney/Frazier :hap85:. Good luck to Haven and Brandon in the free skate :yay:.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I didn't watch this one this live, just now caught up...how did James/Cipres score 10 points behind the Russians here? That's just crazy. They had a weak ending to the program being a bit off in the spin and abruptly ending, but otherwise they were great. I'm not seeing such a large differential.