"Heartbreak" Ice Moments | Page 3 | Golden Skate

"Heartbreak" Ice Moments

S

SkateFan4Life

Russian figure skater Maria Butrasyaka had a number of heartbreaking skating moments during her competitive career. Although she won the 1999 World title, and was a very deserving winner, Maria was plagued with bad technique, an unfortunate case of nerves, and stiff legs, all of which hindered her as she competed.

At the 1998 Winter Olympics, Maria had drawn to skate first in the short program, which was pretty much the kiss of death, since the judges have to hold back on the marks for the first few skaters. Maria skated a strong short program and was in third place heading into the long program. Had she skated a clean program, she might well have won the bronze medal behind Tara Lipinski and Michelle Kwan. Alas for Maria, she missed several jumps and finished out of the medals. She left the kiss 'n cry area before all of her marks were announced.

It was even worse at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Maria had skated poorly in the short program and was in sixth place heading into the long program. A medal wasn't a realistic thought, but I'm sure she just wanted to skate a strong long program. More mistakes, more missed jumps. When she finished her program, commentator Sandra Bezic said, "Maria is thinking - I worked four years for this?" How sad. :cry:

mariana

On the Ice
euterpe said:
"Fields of Gold" was written by Sting. Eva Cassidy's version, which Michelle used for her exhibition, is especially poignant because the song is a wistful memory of past moments shared, and Eva had died of melanoma at age 33.

Here's a link to the words of the song:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]&rnum=4

True. But if you don't know the context in which FOG was written, or if you don't understang much english, that program can be interpreted as a little presumptive. Back in 2002 I didn't knew much english and I thought that her choise of Ex Program was not the best one.
I'm shure she didn't choose it for that reason but that's how I felt it.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Yazmeen said:
I don't know why she chose a gold dress, but to say she picked the song because she thought she was a shoo-in for the OGM is just plain wrong...

When I first saw the dress, I thought it was presumptive. Then I thought about it and realized, well, it's not called "Fields of Purple!"

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Fields of Purple......you are too funny, LOL :laugh:

And it could have been Fields of Fuschia. Boy, THAT dress sure would have gotten some serious attention, LOL :p :laugh: :D :eek:

euterpe

Medalist
mariana: "...[SIZE=-1]if you don't know the context in which FOG was written, or if you don't understang much english, that program can be interpreted as a little presumptive. Back in 2002 I didn't knew much english and I thought that her choise of Ex Program was not the best one.
I'm shure she didn't choose it for that reason but that's how I felt it[/SIZE]
."

Kwan had used "Fields of Gold" as an exhibition piece well before the 2002 Olympics. It had already become something of a signature piece for her. So FS fans who had seen her skate in other venues knew she hadn't chosen the piece (or the dress) specifically for SLC, or with any presumption of winning there. Kwan had skated so well at Nagano and didn't win gold, so she certainly knew how elusive the OGM is.

Her performance of FOG in the SLC exhibition was one of the most emotional of her life, and many of her fans were in tears with her.

Last edited:
But to go along with what Mariana, Realtorgal, Skatefan, and Nuggetr said, I remember that even Dick and Peggy -- who certainly knew the whole story of the program -- mentioned on the air, months before the Olympics, that Michelle was "sending a message" about her determination to conquer the Olys.

Maybe Dick and Peggy were just filling dead air time, but anyway, so what? Why shouldn't we like our gals a little bit uppity!

Mathman:)

mariana

On the Ice
euterpe said:
mariana: "...[SIZE=-1]if you don't know the context in which FOG was written, or if you don't understang much english, that program can be interpreted as a little presumptive. Back in 2002 I didn't knew much english and I thought that her choise of Ex Program was not the best one.
I'm shure she didn't choose it for that reason but that's how I felt it[/SIZE]
."

Kwan had used "Fields of Gold" as an exhibition piece well before the 2002 Olympics. It had already become something of a signature piece for her. So FS fans who had seen her skate in other venues knew she hadn't chosen the piece (or the dress) specifically for SLC, or with any presumption of winning there. Kwan had skated so well at Nagano and didn't win gold, so she certainly knew how elusive the OGM is.

Her performance of FOG in the SLC exhibition was one of the most emotional of her life, and many of her fans were in tears with her.

The problem is that in most of the non-english countries (with maybe the exception of some european countries) the only competitions that are broadcast are Worlds and Olys, so the people of those countries possibly didn't knew that FOG was Michelle's exhibition program a long time before the 2002 Olys. I know that my parents didn't knew and neither did I.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I don't think the color of the dress matters nor how many times the program was skated before or after SLC. I think many saw it as tacky simply because she chose a song about "gold" (fields of it LOL) for the Olympic season. I don't see anything wrong with it and I think this is another of those pointless discussions where people try to mind read and find excuses to bash a skater, but then again, I like Michael Weiss LOL

Heatbreaking moments:

- Alexei Yagudin's farewell skate in Canada. I don't cry much when I watch skating but here it was impossible not to. Worlds in Vancouver was also painful and the 2001 GWG is only good to watch if youre sadistic.
- Maria Butyrskaya, too many times to count. Last one was the QR in Nagano in 2002.
- Emanuel Sandhu, too many times to count as well
- Sarah Abitbol/ Stephane Bernadis in DC, when she was skating injured. It was painful to watch.
- Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold in SLC

Germanice

On the Ice
RIskatingfan said:
Heatbreaking moments:

- Alexei Yagudin's farewell skate in Canada. I don't cry much when I watch skating but here it was impossible not to. Worlds in Vancouver was also painful and the 2001 GWG is only good to watch if youre sadistic. ...
Alexei's farewell skate in Canada! How could I forget it! :cry:

Another "heartbreaking" moment, though the reason was more joyful: Seeing Alexei crying like a baby at the Grand Prix Final in December 2001, after his win against Plushenko for the first time since 15 months (I think).

I've never seen all of Alexei's performances at the GWG 2001, just small parts of "Winter" and the whole "Overcome"-program, which he did at the gala. Thanx God! ;) But I saw some pics, they're saying more than 1000 words. :(

Anke

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
That was a great moment when Alexei beat Plushenko at the 2002 GPF. It was such a close decision (4/3 split I think) and I was thrilled for him. He hadn't had the best year of skating in his life and Plushenko had been so dominant. He deserved the win and to see his reaction really reflected how truly important that victory was for him heading to SLC.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
The 2001 GPF was more like "take that!", his reaction backstage was just :laugh: He was jumping around screaming "yes!" and then started crying :laugh: The highlight for me was Gladiator. I couldn't believe it could actually be so close after he had the mistakes in the beginning, but he made up for it and it was a 4/3 split panel too. What a fantastic competition that was, I miss the good old days between those two...

Anke, if you want to watch the GWG, both SP and LP, be sure you have the Olympic programs or something like that to watch right after to ensure you will not get very depressed LOL But ITA, that version of Overcome is among the very best he ever did :)

floskate

On the Ice
I did cry during his speech - it was so emotional to see him choked and Tarasova crying too. The skating however didn't move me.

Other heartbreak moments:

All the returning pro's bar G&G facing their disappointments, especially in the SP and T&D's free - watching them on the podium and Chris asks Jayne if she's ok and she nods even though she clearly just wants to bawl - Good ole British stiff upper lip all the way!

Katia skating Mahler just did me in, I was a complete wreck.

Michelle's FOG regardless of the costume blah blah blah........

Olenska

Rinkside
I have a very fuzzy memory of MK's FOG exhibition program, but that whole discussion about whether it was "presumptive" or not reminds me of Debi Thomas in 1988. Her exhibition costume in Calgary was... gold. And she was shown on the cover of Time or Newsweek magazine's Olympic edition wearing that very dress. I guess it's a similar situation: a skater who's a clear favorite (come on, even if Kat Witt was probably a shoo-in, it was still very possible that Thomas could win: Katarina could have had a total breakdown :rolleye: ) wears a gold dress to skate an exhibition number. I don't think it's presumptive as much as it is wishful thinking ...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
And why has noone ever commented about the fact that Nancy K wore gold for her long program the last time she performed at the Olympics?

soogar

Record Breaker
Given Nancy's history of skating like crap, I don't think anyone would have thought that she presumed to win gold. Plus her costume was nude/gold colored, inspired by a dress Vera made for Sharon Stone. Also she really wasn't expected to win a gold medal the way MK was.

ladybug

On the Ice
Wasn't that program done for the tribute to the skaters who died in the plane crash. Referring to the skaters walking through fields of gold. I thought it was a beautiful program expecially the way it was performed at SLC. So bitter sweet.

I saw Michelle do FOG at COI in person and it was almost as emotional. She wore her heart on her sleeve. She skated with so power and feeling, I guess that is why she has so many fans. She isn't afraid to be human.

Ladybug

Linny

Final Flight
Fog

FOG was written by Sting, but the version Michelle used was performed by Eva Cassidy - a fairly obscure artist who died quite young. Knowing that back story made FOG just that much more bittersweet.

Is it a heartbreak moment to see a very, very young girl slam her head into the ice at Nationals, get up dazed and continue her program? Guys remember NNN?

Linny

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
Definitely Tai and Randy; Michelle at the 2002 Olympics with tears streaming down her face, and Naomi and Peter at 2004 Nationals were heartbreaking moments.

ice_magick

Rinkside
Hearbreaking moments

Naomi and Peter withdrawing from 2004 Nationals
Angela Nikodinov slamming her head into a locker and bawling after 2002 Nationals when some SOB cameraman poked his head in
Every single wrenching moment of NNN's 2000 Nationals LP. What a mess.
The second stepout of a jump in Todd's 2002 Olympics SP. *covers eyes* I almost started to sob.