2016 Skate Canada Pairs SP | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Pairs SP

yqs100

On the Ice
I still cant believe the Chinese skating fed did that, and forced the skaters to split up, poor Xiaoyu... :( she looks miserable..

If the fed pays everything of course you have to obey what the fed decides. And the result tells it was good for all atheletes.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I am watching some of the SPs. Thoughts:

1. Meagan and Eric's elements were great, but I was bored.
2. Yu/Zhang were somewhat lifeless but I think the program has potential.
3. Lubov and Dylan are a ray of sunshine and I love that they always look like they enjoy performing, even though I don't understand Lubov's costume.
4. Kavaguti/Smirnov's costumes, collectively, make me want to poke my eyes out.
5. I seriously do not know where Haven and Brandon found their music and it probably needs to go back where it came from, but I love their investment in the program (especially Haven's) and their throw was :love:!

yqs100

On the Ice
The skaters mostly attributed the move to their coach, 2010 Olympic pairs champion Hongbo Zhao, although Zhang also said he and Jin had a good relationship prior to pairing up.
"I believe our coach could see our body lines matched each other and that we may have potential to improve Chinese pair skating," Yu said through an interpreter, later adding, "The two of us met with the coach and analyzed (the situation) and decided to do this."

I don't want to say anything but those who are still angry about the switch can stop now. Your negative attitude won't change anything. Thank you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
couple thoughts... yay to D/R for a PB and landing (not perfectly but still ok) their new throw 3A

I really loved the element from the new Yu/Zhang pair... I think,and go ahead, whip me for saying it, that the Chinese federation did well here... Their potential is already higher than Peng/Zhang had... and while Peng and her new partner develop, Yu/Zhang will already have a shot a top 5 at WC IMHO. I am sure it wasn't easy for anyone but it is a smart competitive move from the Chinese fed, if not the most human one...

Love Lubov and Dylan... after you are done whipping me for loving the new Chinese pair ;) lend it to me... i will do some light whipping until they land their SBS jumps :)

I wasn't too impressed with the rest... and I hope that Yuko and Sasha can do better in the LP.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yu/Zhang were very slow during the step sequence which could have hurt them. Their twist and throw jumps are fabulous however, huge and airy.

Dylan and Lubov were rays of sunshine, Lubov is obviously the star and Dylan is a bit cheesy but I really enjoyed them. The lift was amazing. I met them after their skate, before the evening competitions and they were so thankful for all the people approaching them. I got them to sign their page in the program (along with Eric Radford but Meagan was busy, boo! jk I'm respectful). Lubov and Dylan are just the sweetest, Dylan actually remembered me from a meet and greet I attended in 2014. Awesome people.

bestolen

Rinkside
It was indeed Hongbo's decision after thinking about it for 1/2 year. It was strategic to maximize the Olympic chances in Beijing. Yu was reluctant at first but has decided to give it her best effort and it seems to work out well despite all the drama makers' indulging in old sad legends of forcibly broken romances. Peng and Jin are working out very well. The Chinese fed had very high hope for Peng but she felt too much pressure partnering with Zhang. Both girls are very consistent now. I love Yu/Zhang's LP from the practice and am looking forward to seeing tomorrow.

BTW, Zhang the creepy old man is younger than Trankov.
The Chinese Fed changed Zhang's age.
He is 34 already.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
PCS difference between Duhamel/Radford and Yu/Zhang is a joke. Either Canadians should have a little lower or Yu/Zhang should have higher. The couples has skated one after another, so it was easy to compare and commentators where astonished about the difference too (I watched on Polish Eurosport, so there was no country bias). I also can't understand why D/R didn't get lower GOE for Th3A. Meagan has rotated it yes, but the preparation was super long, jump wasn't particulary far or high and she grazed the ice with her free leg, which was very clear when they did replays after their program. And two judges gave them +1 on that, and two other 0. It's a JOKE. That's seriously making up scores. I hate when judges do that. Any other couple would have got all -1 or -2 for that mistake on throw for sure. :disapp:

I kind of agree with other scores and places. I fell sorry for K/S, that wasn't the comeback they wanted. And I'm sad Lubov landed only double Toe, I/M have so much potential as a team! And I still can't stand D/F music. Thank heavens the FP one is better.

Last edited:

skatemouse

On the Ice
You really seem to not like them very much..

I actually am harder on teams I admire. Super amazed at haven for coming back from that injury. Super worried she is pushing it and landing on a straight leg with low throws that cover a lot of ice and not much bend can be very dangerous. So I am guarded. The fact that it is affecting her jumps is expected. They were doing the dbl axel combo and the sal. I think their coach changed it last minute and put the double toe on the end to help them NOT chronically cheat the jump. It sometimes helps but now they are both cheating it and popping the toe after and also she is now popping the axel when she was doing the dbl axel combo just not landing well on the second jump. This is a first time coaching mistake, their coach seems to put some pressure not good in this situation. Grasping at straws when she just needs more time is all so give her time. They could be a more innovative pair if given the chance without pressures. It is frustrating and worrisome but just my opinion.