Apt. like Sahara Desert Tonight | Golden Skate

Apt. like Sahara Desert Tonight

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't need to cross the Sahara Desert to experience what it might be like because my apt. is like a desert tonight. It was so hot when I got home, everything I touched was hot!!!! Even my telephone!

It has to be over 100 degrees in here. I face the south and the sun beats in here all afternoon. My car also was extremely hot on the way home. I had to stop at a mall to get some heat relief.

I wish it would rain.

Dying from heat stroke.

Vash01

Medalist
That sounds terrible. I empathize with you. Can you use a fan to cool the place down? I think you said in another thread that you are in British Columbia and that the normal temp. there is 70 deg. so the buildings don't have AC...?

Longhornliz

Final Flight
I have black and grey interior in my car, so even though its a white vehicle everything plastic inside is like molten lava hot when I first get in. One time I took my moms garden thermometer and put it in my car for half an hour and it was above 120. I'm not sure how acurate that is... but it freaked me out. Perhaps when I get a place of my own I will have a garage or carport to keep it a little cooler.

Kara Bear

Final Flight
LAD, I've been experiementing with keeping the blinds shut during the day. I keep a little patch of the window open and place a fan in front of it. Around 4 when the sun isn't shining it, I open the curtains again. It seems to be helping here.

Slightly related: All last week I was looking forward to the weekend. I wanted to spend a whole day at the beach. Well wasn't it cold and rainy all weekend....grrrrr!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
No, our places don't normally come equiped with A/C. We have to supply our own! This is unusually hot weather for our region. We can usually count on rain to come along and cool things down, but it's not happening!!

On Sat. it was over 100 degrees in my apt. so, I turned on the cold water in the shower in my bathroom and put a fan in there with the lights out. I pretended to be at a waterfall or lake. It worked! Kept me cool most of the day.

It's a little cooler right now, but another heat wave is coming soon!!! Help!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Totally understand, Lad. I live in one of the hottest areas in the state (except for Palm Springs).....it's been in the 100's here, yesterday topping off at 108.....you pretty much stay indoors after lunch, unless you head for a water park or a swimming pool. Thank goodness for indoor malls and movie theaters! 42

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Does anyone live in a hot area and have a fish tank? We have2 tanks and our poor fishies are roasting. We turned the tank heater completelly off but the temperature keeps on rising. I had a mortality in my tank last night. Poor little buggers. Anyone have any suggestions?

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Try ice cubes..........no kidding. They keep the tank cooler longer then if you added just cool water..........42

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Poor fish! One would think they would be cool swimming around in their tanks. The heat is hard on pets too. They have been warning people - on the news - not to leave their pets in the car. We had an incident at work where someone did (in the 90 degree heat!) and the security guy managed to give the dog some water. He informed the owner that next time he would notify the SPCA. Some people just don't think!!!!!

:rolleye:

Kara Bear

Final Flight
Today is another hot one!

Its hard on my Kitty too. Shes flopped on the floor and just looks pooped out.

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Ladskater said:
We had an incident at work where someone did (in the 90 degree heat!) and the security guy managed to give the dog some water. He informed the owner that next time he would notify the SPCA. Some people just don't think!!!!!

:rolleye:

That person doesn't deserve to be a pet owner. :mad: That absolutely infuriates me! :mad:

Speaking of pets, my business partner and I "rescued" a goldfish a couple of weeks ago. We were chatting with a potential client in his home and noticed a fish swimming around in the TINIEST of fish carriers. Apparently, the poor little thing had been stuck in there for a year. They really didn't want him, so we asked if we could take him to another potential client's house because they had a lovely koi pond and we thought he'd be happier there. To make a long story a bit shorter, "Lucky" is now swimming happily in this koi poind and, as we have been told, flirting with all the girl fish! :) I know it's just a fish but we felt so sorry for him and were SO happy to find him a nice environment. :love: