More on hoaxes and urban legends.... | Golden Skate

More on hoaxes and urban legends....

JOHIO2

Medalist
Once and awhile, we discuss the latest email or other rumors in this forum. Well, the news people have reminded us that many of these rumors are hoaxes or urban legends, with little or no grounding in fact. I found it useful to be reminded to check sources before panic sets in or I spread one of these rumors. I especially liked being reminded of websites that address these rumors.

So, you too can check out this article:

Cleveland Plain Dealer article on hoaxes

In the past I've been bombarded by people who just wouldn't get the hint to check out the different chain mails and what not...no matter how many times I told them to check the facts before alarming people or wasting their time and inbox space on "crap", they couldn't take the hint.....
I use http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blhoax.htm

I had a friend who nearly gave up her computer she got so upset by the "Slavemaster" e-mail.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Has anyone seen that TV show where a couple of guys evaluate all these urban legends?

There was one I particularly enjoyed where they showed that most of the huge list of Coke Will Do This stuff was disproved. The one use that they found for Coke that was really good was to clean your chrome bumper.

They had a steak and some teeth that did not dissolve in Coke, etc.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
DORISPULASKI said:
Has anyone seen that TV show where a couple of guys evaluate all these urban legends?

There was one I particularly enjoyed where they showed that most of the huge list of Coke Will Do This stuff was disproved. The one use that they found for Coke that was really good was to clean your chrome bumper.

They had a steak and some teeth that did not dissolve in Coke, etc.

Doris,

It is called MYTHBUSTERS, I think. I was just thinking of that before I read your post. It is a good show. I learned just last night that the daddy long legs is not the most venomous spider in the world, a 737 can blow a car off the road, and that Jimmy Hoffa is not buried in the stadium at the Meadowlands :)

JOHIO2

Medalist
Glacierskater,

I am a hopeless fan of Mythbusters! Those two guys are hysterical and willing to do some of the most outrageous things.

To all, some of those sites are mentioned in the article I linked. I have bookmarked some of these sites, because there are so many of these legends and rumors. Heck, our inboxes are probably full of them as we speak!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I think that they have the right amount of insanity and technical know-how to keep me hooked. I will leave the testing of the unban myths up to them while I safely peer on :)