On-site & practice reports | Page 14 | Golden Skate

On-site & practice reports

Krunchii

Record Breaker
At the gala practice right now

Daniel Samohin and Evgenia were playing around, Evgenia did a tano 3Lo while Daniel tried a 3Lo but had a hand down. Evgenia was laughing at him,theyre playing around and its cute

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Evgenia just did 3Lz-3T-3T and Daniel said something to her, she said "you wanna try it?" and he just laughed and she booped him on the back of his head, stop I'm dying of cuteness he's still following her around

edit: Evgenia just did 3F-1Lo-3F-3T

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Evgenia is doing 3-3-3-3s and Yuzuru did a 4-3-3-3A to compete with her.

Also Yuzuru has been attempting 4Ss, Is there something wrong with his wrist? He keeps holding it and stretching it with his fingers. Most of the 4S was landed very low but the last one was a perfect 4S-3T

Last edited:

kiches

Final Flight
Cross-posting this from my post in Yuzuru's fan fest.I recorded a bit of the gala practice (sorry, it's almost all Yuzuru centric in case you're not a fan) but I just uploaded his run through of his new exhibition program here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4zvqyf

You'll notice that there were a few other skaters on the ice with him, but at some point everyone moved to the sides and it was just Yuzuru skating by himself on the ice. While the gala performance of this piece was beautiful, this particular practice performance had a different feel to it that may not come across in my video. Maybe it was because there were fewer people in the audience, but it definitely felt like Yuzuru was in his own little world here. Also, his triple axel really is huge.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wanted to capture some thoughts about attending SC this year, while it's still fresh in my mind.

This was my first grand prix competition after attending Worlds this past March in Boston. While I have to say I enjoyed Worlds more, b/c it was in the city, a much bigger event with more skaters, and multiple opportunities for GS meetups, this was definitely an experience to remember. Special shout out to Sabrina, who was willing to meetup so we could say hello in person. I had hoped to connect with more GSers during the event, but it was not to be. Hopefully, I will have more opportunities to meetup at future competitions.

The venue: In the middle of nowhere, with no shops or restaurants within a reasonable walking distance. However, its smaller size of about 5,000 people made the event feel intimate.

The fans: A combo of many 50+ white women, Japanese women, a few men and a few kids (I even spotted an infant). All struck me as enthusiastic and dedicated fans.

The food: the less said the better. Brought in most of my meals and snacks save for 2 hot dogs and bottled water.

The practices: Awesome! Due the schedule, I mostly saw men and ice dance with some pairs thrown in. Loved the men's practice and seeing Patrick landing all of those 4T/3T Combos. Yuzu was reeling off jump after jump. It's always fun to see who comes in costume and who comes in workout gear and who does a full run through and who just does choreo and marks their jumps, or vice versa. Interesting to see if the skaters interact or ignore each other, or just chat with their coaches. Most of them are in their own world, although Misha was Instagramming during practice. I mentioned this earlier, but Mura took a bad fall at one point and Miner patted him on the back when he got up, some nice camaraderie there.

The competitions: A mixed bag as usual. Some highlights were Misha's FS, V/M SD, D/R SP, Osmond's SP, Chan's SP, Hanyu's FS. Also was surprised that I really liked C/B's free dance over V/M. Could be that I'm a fan of the song (Under Pressure) but they looked very into the performance (I could see Madi singing along). A low point for me was Mirai, since she was the only US woman there and I'm a fan of hers. Hopefully she will do better later this season.

Music: Speaking of music with lyrics, appreciated the Prince tributes, the use of Bjork by the Finnish team, but did not like J/R use of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Under the Bridge" - do you really want to skate to a song about heroin addiction? Also, Daniel Samohin's SP music (Tom Jones' "Delilah") is about a guy murdering his girlfriend! If you want to skate to Tom Jones, how about "It's not Unusual" or even his cover of "Kiss"? I get that most classical pieces/operas are about suicide or murder (Madame Butterfly, Carmen, etc.) but those are usually without lyrics or in a different language so it's not so distracting. I also posted my thoughts about Evgenia's 9/11 piece and not liking the sound effects being a New Yorker who lives 5 blocks from where the old WTC stood.

The skater sightings: Meagan and Bruno at Whole Foods! In the arena hallway, I saw Kirsten Moore-Towers, Alissa Czisny (I think she was repping the John Wilson blades table), Mirai (also at the JW table), Joshi Helgesson, Eric and Dylan with fans after the pairs FS and Grant Hochstein talking to Japanese fans after the men's.

The Exhibition: did not attend to catch my flight back to NY. Will watch the videos, though to catch up.

All in all, I enjoyed it and would recommend to anyone if they have the means to come to a live competition. The perspective is so much different than watching a video on Youtube. I'm lucky that Mississauga is just about an hour's flight from NYC, and the exchange rate made the trip very reasonable for me :)

Last edited: