2016 Skate Canada Free Dance | Page 28 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Free Dance

viennaskater

Medalist
Program of the night for me goes to Piper and Paul's formidable tango. That's the only one I actually want to watch again really badly.

Sublime as that tango is, I don't think this type of program really suits them. It's too 'safe'. I like them better when they are pushing the boundaries and doing something with a darker, more dramatic theme. They are so good at it!

Alba

Record Breaker
Yes, he is a good strong skater, but I just wish he hadn't taken such a short skater, as he'd have looked fabulous with a taller girl, as he did with Samuelson :(

I liked Samuelson too. Although Madison is beautiful, I thought there was more chemistry between him and Emanuelson. Still, about the height, those lifts certainly benefits from the height difference. In this FD in particular they are quite impressive.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I actually like the height difference between Madi & Evan. Their amazing lifts were what drew me to them in the first place, and I also agree his larger size presents a solid frame against Madison's extraordinary flexibility. To be honest, Samuelson & Bates never made any impression on me one way or the other.

Alba

Record Breaker
Let's just say that for me Chock&Bates are glamour, while Samuelson&Bates were kinda champagne. ;)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Let's just say that for me Chock&Bates are glamour, while Samuelson&Bates were kinda champagne. ;)

I admired S/B on a technical level--they were wonderfully precise skaters with terrific matching lines. Not even Marlie could touch them on those components. But my goodness I found them dull as day old dishwater. Together they were the epitome of "nice but eminently forgettable."

Now C/B. Well, I said this several years ago and I think it still holds true. It's like what Katharine Hepburn said about Astaire and Rogers: he gave her class and she made him look sexier. I don't quite understand the absolute animosity they seem to arouse in some people here. I mean, de gustibus non est disputandum, but still...it borders on de horibulus. What did they ever do to you? Kick your puppies? Steal your Halloween candy?

;)

viennaskater

Medalist
I admire Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN 's technical skills, but this FD makes me wonder if they wish to be pairs skaters minus the throws.

I really liked their program - they might even be my favourite Russian ice dance couple at the moment.