2016 Skate Canada Exhibition Gala | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Canada Exhibition Gala

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
True, he wouldn't ask, that would look to demanding for him... argh. Online petition? If there ever was a time for one, it is now!

Oh god yes, she would :laugh: okay, one of us comes in a Yuzu costume an the other as Winnie the Pooh!

Yes, he wouldn't, it's not just him but the whole cultural aspect ... I think ideally someone would ask her, directly and make her think about it. Like when Beverly got to talk to Moskvina, well if it were Tarasova ... dreams, I know. Sigh. The most we can hope for is I think for her to actually be frustrated with this EX of his. It's "her" music but if she envisioned it differently, she might want to "correct" it.

That would probably work and she'd figure it out, roll her eyes at us and tsk tsk tsk right away! I am also up for bribing Beverly or Jackie into asking. Entering the life of crime for skating :laugh:

lyndichee

Medalist
I loved Yuzuru's exhibition music and program; even though he popped a jump, he never let the mood leave his performance. I think what I love about him is that his demeanor and skating defines the music, never the music defines him. His exhibition was the best of performance of the weekend for me :luv17:

I think Patrick needs someone to give him better exhibitions, Sunday Morning and Blackbird all give a casual feel and don't feel that different. Bring back something intense like Escualo for him please.

I think my favourite of the night was Satoko Miyahara, she popped all of her jumps but she is so underrated for her skating skills and flow across ice. She fills the rink and I almost teared up watching her skating. She really is so lovely and ethereal on ice.

sydney

On the Ice
I loved Yuzuru's exhibition music and program; even though he popped a jump, he never let the mood leave his performance. I think what I love about him is that his demeanor and skating defines the music, never the music defines him. His exhibition was the best of performance of the weekend for me :luv17:

I don't think he popped his first axel , during the gala practice he did the same one ,for me he is doing an intentional delayed single axel , it's been a long time since I have seen a skater doing it ^_^

Last edited:

Raomina

On the Ice
I've rewatched Yuzuru's exhibition so many times now and it's still so mesmerizing. It's amazing that he can still surprise us with what he can do and that he is still trying to stretch himself artistically and constantly improving himself. For all the warhorses that he has skated to, I would never have thought that he could skate to something so slow and balletic. It's a great vehicle for him to improve and work on his lines and extension and it really showed off his great skating skills.

I love the ina bauer right off the bat and the series of spread eagles in the middle of the program. The moves between 1:46 and 1:58 here (https://youtu.be/VxqwgCQpGCk) were also so nicely choreographed to the music.

I love the delayed single axel as well (he did some huge ones in practices), and it's just too bad most people would think that it was a pop, because it's 3A Hanyu. It doesn't help that the 3A is choreographed right after since he has popped exhibition jumps and then tried doing 3A on the fly before.

-------

There were actually a lot of fun exhibitions this time round so I'm not sure why quite a few people found this gala boring.

I loved Misha Ge's exhibition. He is so fun and charismatic on the ice and I think he's improved a lot artistically this year as well as I wasn't so impressed with him at Boston. He was very confident and it was very exciting and enjoyable to watch.

I think Daniel Samohin is another very charismatic skater. His jumps didn't work but he is very expressive and confident, like he knows that he is 'THE man'. That showed in his competition programs too and I think he will go very far once he gets his jumps consistent.

Anna and Luca always have fun exhibitions and they are so good at storytelling and portraying a theme. You can always tell what they are trying to do and they really sell it. They are such expert comedic mimers, which is so difficult to pull off convincingly without coming off as cheesy or cringy.

Tallorder

On the Ice
Anna and Luca are, and will be, wondrous show skaters. Charm to the max. Suitable for any all ages, all corners of the globe.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I love the delayed single axel as well (he did some huge ones in practices), and it's just too bad most people would think that it was a pop, because it's 3A Hanyu. It doesn't help that the 3A is choreographed right after since he has popped exhibition jumps and then tried doing 3A on the fly

I'm so surprised so many people think it was a popped 3A... maybe if you're there and don't have a good view, and it all happens so fast... but in the video? Usually with a pop skaters pull their arms in and go into the straight position first and then open up to stop the rotation... not the other way around.
And I've read people say they think he needs to change it... NO :dbana: if some people don't like it or don't get it, that's fine, but I love love love it, and it needs to stay exactly as it is! It's such an unusual, unexpected element, and there is little enough unexpected happening in most FS programs. The fact that Yuzu can still pull out stuff that surprises me... :luv17:

Lys

Match Penalty
I'm so surprised so many people think it was a popped 3A... maybe if you're there and don't have a good view, and it all happens so fast... but in the video? Usually with a pop skaters pull their arms in and go into the straight position first and then open up to stop the rotation... not the other way around.
And I've read people say they think he needs to change it... NO :dbana: if some people don't like it or don't get it, that's fine, but I love love love it, and it needs to stay exactly as it is! It's such an unusual, unexpected element, and there is little enough unexpected happening in most FS programs. The fact that Yuzu can still pull out stuff that surprises me... :luv17:

+10000000000000000000000

I'm still quite shocked at how many people thought it was a pop :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

I get being confused by it, since it's such an uncommon move in skating programs, but he goes into it with such an open stance to quickly close the rotation at the end, a pop would be last thing I thought about :shocked:

Anyway, I really hope it stays, it's beautiful and the whole transition from that delayed 1A to the final 3A is magnificient as it is.

Ginask8s

On the Ice
My favorite ex was Chock and Bates. So fun and engaging. Katelyn is a vision and so fast! Speed is always attractive! Never comfortable when she does those toe jumps. Evgenia is a machine. The next Michelle? How long can a girl be perfect? I could watch Patrick skate all day... What a great competition and exhibition!