Sunday NBC Coverage | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Sunday NBC Coverage

And just to think that Tara and Johnny got all dolled up for this :rolleye: Such a waste :drama:

Half empty or half full. The TV network doesn't have to show anything.

I do have to take issue with the men's "coverage" however. One hit and one missed jump for each of Hanyu and Chan. At least the men cn be glad they are not pairs. :)

Edited to add: Chartrand did well. :yes:

nguyhm

On the Ice
Half empty or half full. The TV network doesn't have to show anything.
Very true! I just wish it was a little longer. A 2 hour broadcast would be much more satisfying. I was having such high hope of seeing more showings like at least the whole program of the winner of each discipline. If it hadn't been for GS forum I would not know who won pairs (still don't know yet because I haven't checked it out) or the top 3 dance pairs (still don't know who placed 3rd). TV broadcast should at least gave us that or did I miss something....:palmf:

Last edited:
Did NBC show Virtue/Moir's FD in entirety?
And Chock/Bates'?

Yes, as Sam said above, both. That was all the ice dancing they showed. I had to agree that C&B deserved to win the free dance, with V&M winning overall.

Worth mentioning that Terry, Tara, and Johnny did not seem to be troubled or offended by the music/audio of Evgenia's FS.
(As a resident of NYC on 9/11 and to this day, I do not object to the FS. The theme makes me sad, but I am not offended.)

I didn't mind the theme either,nor did I think that the music in the footwork section was too jarring. Johnny went out of his way to stress that the theme was uncertainty and loss in general, not just in connection with the 9/11 tragedy.

By the way, Johnny was really good overall, IMHO, and Tara wasn't bad.

Last edited:

Skatingcat

Final Flight
I feel like the NBC coverage is more about Tara and Johnny than it is about the skating. And the hour was like a quick recap. I was not impressed.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
Oh my dear lord....Madi and Scott didn't fix their music!!!!! It's unbearably overedited and how am I supposed to focus on their overdramatic facial expressions. Oh the horror.

Did USFSA pulled a Chinese fed overnight? :scratch2:

ITA with the music though. :p

NaVi

Medalist
I'm personally satisfied with what NBC showed. I would have edited Tukt out and put in another ice dance or maybe Medvedeva's SP(since that wouldn't make enough room for both Hanyu and Chan). Another half hour would have made room for 3 or 4 of the men but I'm not sure it would have been a good bet for the networks.

Now there will be no coverage until the weekend after Thanksgiving when they show 1 hour highlights of Rostelcom and Trophee de France and then 2 hours of NHK. Skate America next year will also be the weekend after Thanksgiving. I like this because Skate America usually collides with both baseball playoffs and regular season footballl and frankly October seems a bit early in most people's minds for figure skating. I also think it's a good idea to tie figure skating more closely to holiday periods.

ABC has a really annoying habit of counter-programming grand prix events with some figure skating special.... which has made me wonder if this is on purpose so that one day ABC/ESPN could have an easier shot of picking up the rights.

There were some people on twitter slagging on NBC for switching to figure skating... but 300k more people watched figure skating(use google cache if link doesn't work) last week than F1 racing.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I don't understand why Madison and Evan's music had so many edits... :scratch2: the original Under Pressure is 4:03! Perfect length for a feee dance! Or is it way too unconventional to skate to an original song in its entirety?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NBC's coverage of the GP is pathetic.

It sure was, I blinked and it was over with. I got a whole hour of coverage. Good thing I am able to get Universal, but the competitions were on early in the morning, 12:00 am until 2:00 am.

Mississauga brought back memories, it was the first time I went to Skate Canada. I got a bonus, it was when Alexei announced his retirement so he was there. :yahoo: