2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2016 Rostelecom Cup - Ladies SP

phoenix01

Rinkside
It's amazing how much people can read into a brief moment of a masked face.

I saw her with the mask. I believe they were laughing because the camera found her in the audience and she slipped it off partially and smiled at the camera. She also wore a mask at Skate Canada when she was sitting high up in the arena watching Yuzuru's long program. She is a huge fan girl of Yuzu. She posted about Yuzu's SP and LP on her Instagram..There are so many funny pictures of them. Misha had Instagrams of himself with Yuzu and Evgena at the dinner that were hilarious.:laugh: There were also some funny videos of Yuzu and Evgena in fancams pre and post Gala. :laugh::yahoo::)

Last edited:

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
I saw her with the mask. I believe they were laughing because the camera found her in the audience and she slipped in partially off and smiled at the camera. She also wore a mask at Skate Canada when she was sitting high up in the arena watching Yuzuru's long program. She is a huge fan girl of Yuzu. There are so many funny pictures of them. Misha had instagrams of himself with Yuzu and Evgena. There were also some funny videos of Yuzu and Evgena in fancams pre and post Gala.

Actually, people are not referring to when she smiled at the camera at the end of Elena's performance, but this moment: https://youtu.be/-RIMw1iFMUw?t=5m5s

(I personally agree it's absolutely ridiculous to conjecture they were laughing at Elena. They could have been joking and having a laugh about anything. Anything.)

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
If Anna does not skate well in the LP, it is probably pressure.
If Yulia makes multiple mistakes in her jumps, it is probably not pressure; same can be said to Elena.
I don't think Japanese lady or Courtney will be on the podium. Elizavert has a better chance to be on the podium.

Now the big question in my opinion after seeing the short is will Pogo and Julia continue skating well or will they crash and burn leaving the door open for ET or a Japanese lady or will Courtney pull a Bell performance here?

randomfan

Record Breaker
Finally found some time and finally found some working videos. Overall I say that this Ladies SP was really good.

1. Anna Pogorilaya: I would've loved this program if it wasn't for the terrible music editing during the step sequence. I don't have any problem with the beats there, but the way it mutes the music drives me nuts. Anyway, she rocked this performance and I'm excited to see how she does tomorrow.
2. Elena Radionova: I have to say, this program has really improved from the test skates. I was hesitant about it there, but now I can see that Shae-Lynn Bourne did a great job of it. However, I found her score a bit too high, because that certainly wasn't a PB SP for her. Still, nice to see that Lena is still around selling these programs!
3. Yulia Lipnitskaya: I don't know why, but I really really like this program. It matches Yulia's style and the whole feel of it is nice. Right now, my opinion of Yulia is pretty much the same as my opinion of Mirai - both have great SPs, but if they just gave more face and depth to the movements, they'd be even better. Anyways, the real test for Yulia is the FS, as she hasn't gotten through a clean one recently. I'm wishing all the best for her! :cheer2:
4. Elizabet Tursynbaeva: Poor girl, that 2A fall looked painful. Kudos to her for at least getting the full level on the layback after it though. Oddly enough, I wasn't really into this program last season, but I really like it this season. It's great to see that Elizabet improved in many areas of her skating.
5. Zijun Li: So happy to see her do well! She was always one of my favourites but inconsistency set her back (it seems that I'm a fan of A LOT of inconsistent skaters :biggrin:). The program is good and the elements look good as well. I hope that she can settle her coaching situation soon because not doing that may affect her future.
6. Courtney Hicks: Loving the fierceness throughout the program! Courtney always does these kinds of music well. I remember her Code of Vivaldi SP two seasons ago and I loved it. I hope Courtney continues to grow in her skating.
7. Yura Matsuda: First time watching her, and I think she has good potential. She has crazy good content and other nice qualities. Unfortunatley, I think she still needs to give the programs more oomph and sell them more, but hopefully that will improve over time.
8. Nicole Rajicova: Lovely skater and I've been cheering for her ever since Skate America last year, though she wasn't really successful. I hope Nicole can finally show a breakthrough because her skating shows lots of potential.

Kittosuni

Medalist
Am I the only one who didnt find Elena's hip shaking choreo sluty or awkward because usually i cringe when someone do it.

Osmiumnitrate

Rinkside
Looking at how far the top three ladies are compared to the rest of the field in terms of scores, the top 3 ladies pretty much have a lock on the podium UNLESS they screw up big time. Particularly Anna who still have a history of being a head case even with her SP performance and 2016 Worlds Bronze. And Yulia who typically doesn't do as well in the free skate. And then theres Elena who is known for her more consistent FS programs than the two ladies.

Both Elena and Anna have a good shot at winning the competition, with the edge given to Elena due to PCS assuming clean skates (plus Elena is historically much more consistent). Yulia may have a shot for silver if Elena or Anna breaks down but she could easily lose her third place to Elizabet Tursynbaeva if she breaks down. However, if both Elena and Anna breaks down, this would make room for a surprising win for Yulia which would even make her a probable contender for GPF even in the absence of one GP event?!

For other skaters (Zijun, Hicks, Yura...), not expecting a podium placement for them, to be honest. They're only contenders if ALL the big names (namely the top 4 in the SP) breaks down completely. (Which is unlikely) Otherwise their low PCS scores will continue to push them down whereas minor mistakes by the big names are still cushioned by high PCS.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Yulia - as mostly the sp was no problem for her technically. Just wishing that she had chosen the one and only Yves Montand version of the song... I did not get the impression that she really felt the music, it seemed a bit automatic skating. It remains to be seen what happens to her in the freeskate: a mistake and she falls apart or she has learned to ignore a mistake?

Elena - I liked her program but hope that she will change the costume to something with a V-neck...

Anna - she was just wonderful!!!

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
My-my-my.... i was getting my big knives and forks ready to tuck in. To poke, to prod to - to take apart this expected Russian inflation ginormous home cooking meal in waiting (as it has traditionally been the past), but the lack of tackiness, outrageous propping, simply stunned and confused me. What?!! It is the same as ALL other GP and not that much worse?!! (Or rather, they caught up.)

Instead, the abundance of sugar and spice and everything nice actually made me reach for the silver spoon instead! Yummy ~~~ Delish...

What a pleasant surprise. All 3 lovely Russian ladies all at their bests... well done and congrats! :love: The scoring is as expected - in the distance from the rest of the field, but the distance from each other is also a key. I expect Julia's mark with go up very quickly if she deliver in the LP.

I wonder if Julia must have developed some sort of bad rap with her own federation or judges, as this is her best SP by far even the score tells another story. She seems more confident and at peace with herself and even shines with moments of grace. I think programs with hints of melancholy is her natural style, and she seems to have finally realised it... her PCS gap from others was surprising consider the OGM, she is also looking so much thinner than I remembered and lost some of that power in her skating but seems to have compensated with poise instead. The girl has grown up into a lady, this is the program to have finally shown it.

Elena, how physically different she looks this season. She has always been a little bit gawky/quirky skater, but she really matured this season. She is so seasoned now, somehow made all the seductive whole body movement full flaunting work. She has not looked better, as now she has physically grown to suit this type of 'performance'. The lack of voice over is really distracting and makes me question if this a genuine authentic Radionova piece, but really she finally looks comfortable and did pretty good. I'd switch her placement with Julia based on the mistake (unclean jumps, shaky landing, off center spins) and actually thought actually all top 3 are pretty close with Anna nudge slightly ahead based on athleticism (speed, power, huge jumps) as this is a sport.

Oh, Anna. I am so chuffed for you. You have proven you are the best Russia lady in waiting. It has all come together. Power, passion, hunger, ambition, rawness, brilliant vehicle to show 2 different sides of you (rather Rise of the phoenix). Sexy, sassy, vivacious, femininity, seductivity, woman skating. Gorgeous 3lz3t (one of my fav of the current ladies) Something so primal and instinctual, in the moment in your skating... not a wall flower for sure. Even if I am not a fan of the 2nd half, but it wouldn't be a genuine Russian program without the weird techno beat/edit out of nowhere - to allow 'Russian dramatics' moments to come out to knock over the old European judges shouting 'THIS IS INTERPRETING!!! I AM NOT DOING SOMETHING BORING. LOOK AT ME ....RAWWWWRRrr. GIVE ME PCS NOW!!!!' straight out of Sotnikova dramatic school of judge bagging. And of course it works... we are in Russia ;)

Zijun... goodness me, I haven't been following your career for a while, and almost give up out of the hopelessness judges seems perpetually peck you down with low PCS 2nd tier skater, then I saw this. What a marvelous brilliant surprise. I am soo soooo~ very proud of you, you have never seems so confident, at ease, (don't appear as trying), pretty, graceful, elegant and mature as you do now. I also question my sanity, what?!! Lori did a good program for Zijun 2 years in a row?! Surely a fluke!... Let's make it 3 shall we? Then I may need to grudgingly sign up for a Lori Nichols fan membership (I will bring my own music collections, though.) Oh Junjun, I see so many shades of my fav skater in you, so tough it up, don't give up, work hard, be consistent, PCS will come. Underscored for sure but totally expected. Hope this can be a good beginning to generate momentum going forward. Well done! Take control. Be good and stay true to yourself. I am excited by the news you 'may' get to train with Mishin... training with Liza and a skater of her caliber will be such an amazing opportunity!!!

Who can ask for anything more indeed... What a firepower ball of energy from the 16 years old Elizabet. Bipop whizzy blitzy step sequence only the young and the restless will go for (or Mao Asada), no caffeine needed. Time flew by, speed and the momentum sustained throughout despite the mistakes were impressive. For all those criticised her stone face expressions in the past, this is a perfect antidote, and love how she is facing her challenges with such bravado. it is something I hope all skaters do, not the same of the old safe thing, but go for something beyond the self, the comfort zone. It is the only way to improve and grow. A great vehicle for her, vocals totally work in this case. Ouch on the 2axel but good for her not to let it affect the rest of the program. She did receive a little bit of a Russian bonus with Kaz being a Russia-friendly country. Nice to see her happy at KnC. I'd switch her placement with Zijun in this case based on the error, and both of them closer to the top 3, but hey that is 'figure' skating for you! (COP is figuring numbers skating, not the figure on ice) The marks do not always equal the skating ON THE DAY but everything else!

Murakami went for something very 'high brow' to showcase her musicality, unfortunately it went over most of the people's head who are there to see a Bieber concert.

As for people picked on Zhenya's camshot during Elena's performance as if she is ridiculing her. Honestly... :noshake: See that corner? Go stand there! :devil:

Last edited:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
That was pretty high level in the SP.

Anna is rightly in the lead, it was a great performance. I was overly keen on the music change but she sold it well. I hope she delivers a great FS, she is in the lead and everyone is chasing her down. Lena gave a decent performance if slightly over marked, there is no doubt she sells her programmes but the jumps were a bit scratchy. My favourite performance was JLip, I thought the judges hosed her a bit on PCS, I fully expected a score of 70+. This SP is a fantastic fit for her sadly I can't say the same about the FS. Tursynbaeva has really improved her performance quality greatly over the summer, bar the fall it was a very impressive performance, I wouldn't rule her out making the podium.

Biellmann

Match Penalty
My-my-my.... i was getting my big knives and forks ready to tuck in. To poke, to prod to - to take apart this expected Russian inflation ginormous home cooking meal in waiting (as it has traditionally been the past), but the lack of tackiness, outrageous propping, simply stunned and confused me. What?!! It is the same as ALL other GP and not that much worse?!! (Or rather, they caught up.)

Instead, the abundance of sugar and spice and everything nice actually made me reach for the silver spoon instead! Yummy ~~~ Delish...

What a pleasant surprise. All 3 lovely Russian ladies all at their bests... well done and congrats! :love: The scoring is as expected - in the distance from the rest of the field, but the distance from each other is also a key. I expect Julia's mark with go up very quickly if she deliver in the LP.

I wonder if Julia must have developed some sort of bad rap with her own federation or judges, as this is her best SP by far even the score tells another story. She seems more confident and at peace with herself and even shines with moments of grace. I think programs with hints of melancholy is her natural style, and she seems to have finally realised it... her PCS gap from others was surprising consider the OGM, she is also looking so much thinner than I remembered and lost some of that power in her skating but seems to have compensated with poise instead. The girl has grown up into a lady, this is the program to have finally shown it.

Elena, how physically different she looks this season. She has always been a little bit gawky/quirky skater, but she really matured this season. She is so seasoned now, somehow made all the seductive whole body movement full flaunting work. She has not looked better, as now she has physically grown to suit this type of 'performance'. The lack of voice over is really distracting and makes me question if this a genuine authentic Radionova piece, but really she finally looks comfortable and did pretty good. I'd switch her placement with Julia based on the mistake (unclean jumps, shaky landing, off center spins) and actually thought actually all top 3 are pretty close with Anna nudge slightly ahead based on athleticism (speed, power, huge jumps) as this is a sport.

Oh, Anna. I am so chuffed for you. You have proven you are the best Russia lady in waiting. It has all come together. Power, passion, hunger, ambition, rawness, brilliant vehicle to show 2 different sides of you (rather Rise of the phoenix). Sexy, sassy, vivacious, femininity, seductivity, woman skating. Gorgeous 3lz3t (one of my fav of the current ladies) Something so primal and instinctual, in the moment in your skating... not a wall flower for sure. Even if I am not a fan of the 2nd half, but it wouldn't be a genuine Russian program without the weird techno beat/edit out of nowhere - to allow 'Russian dramatics' moments to come out to knock over the old European judges shouting 'THIS IS INTERPRETING!!! I AM NOT DOING SOMETHING BORING. LOOK AT ME ....RAWWWWRRrr. GIVE ME PCS NOW!!!!' straight out of Sotnikova dramatic school of judge bagging. And of course it works... we are in Russia ;)

Zijun... goodness me, I haven't been following your career for a while, and almost give up out of the hopelessness judges seems perpetually peck you down with low PCS 2nd tier skater, then I saw this. What a marvelous brilliant surprise. I am soo soooo~ very proud of you, you have never seems so confident, at ease, (don't appear as trying), pretty, graceful, elegant and mature as you do now. I also question my sanity, what?!! Lori did a good program for Zijun 2 years in a row?! Surely a fluke!... Let's make it 3 shall we? Then I may need to grudgingly sign up for a Lori Nichols fan membership (I will bring my own music collections, though.) Oh Junjun, I see so many shades of my fav skater in you, so tough it up, don't give up, work hard, be consistent, PCS will come. Underscored for sure but totally expected. Hope this can be a good beginning to generate momentum going forward. Well done! Take control. Be good and stay true to yourself. I am excited by the news you 'may' get to train with Mishin... training with Liza and a skater of her caliber will be such an amazing opportunity!!!

Who can ask for anything more indeed... What a firepower ball of energy from the 16 years old Elizabet. Bipop whizzy blitzy step sequence only the young and the restless will go for (or Mao Asada), no caffeine needed. Time flew by, speed and the momentum sustained throughout despite the mistakes were impressive. For all those criticised her stone face expressions in the past, this is a perfect antidote, and love how she is facing her challenges with such bravado. it is something I hope all skaters do, not the same of the old safe thing, but go for something beyond the self, the comfort zone. It is the only way to improve and grow. A great vehicle for her, vocals totally work in this case. Ouch on the 2axel but good for her not to let it affect the rest of the program. She did receive a little bit of a Russian bonus with Kaz being a Russia-friendly country. Nice to see her happy at KnC. I'd switch her placement with Zijun in this case based on the error, and both of them closer to the top 3, but hey that is 'figure' skating for you! (COP is figuring numbers skating, not the figure on ice) The marks do not always equal the skating ON THE DAY but everything else!

Murakami went for something very 'high brow' to showcase her musicality, unfortunately it went over most of the people's head who are there to see a Bieber concert.

As for people picked on Zhenya's camshot during Elena's performance as if she is ridiculing her. Honestly... :noshake: See that corner? Go stand there! :devil:

We don't know why Medvedeva behaved like she did, and how can you be sure she didn't made fun of Radionova? You don't know it :shrug:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
To be fair, given how all the events of this season have been scored, that might actually happen. Even though I do think Miss Miyahara was scored well given her UR issue.

Sure ... but I think that peddling conspiration theories does more harm than favour to this forum. Only creates additional animosities.