Sprained ankle, when to get back? | Golden Skate

Sprained ankle, when to get back?

Ailany

Spectator
I'm currently in the basic skills program so I'm not doing anything that's going to really put pressure on my ankle, but I sprained it a week ago and though it hurts a little to move I can definitely move it a lot more than before without pain and I am able to stand on just the injured foot without falling over. I have lessons on Wednesdays and already missed a class, when is the best time for me to go back?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
While you are still having pain, I would not go back. It's no good to rush back and then hurt yourself more.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Karne is right. I sprained my ankle a month ago and was just able to go back on the ice today (with specific limitations). It's better to be safe than sorry. If there is still pain and swelling I would caution against going back too soon. How stable are you going to feel on skates if you are still having problems off ice?

loopy

Final Flight
It depends on the severity of the sprain, but if it hurts you should wait. Are you in PT in the meanwhile?

TGee

Record Breaker
If you haven't been assessed by a physio therapist, that should be your next step.

Often family physician's tend to be dismissive of sprains in my experience and won't refer you to a physio unless you specifically say that:

1. You are an athlete in a sport where ankle stability is crucial

2. You are seeking an assessment and guidance on when it is safe to return to training, as well as an exercise plan for rehabilitation if needed..

MiraiFan

Final Flight
If you haven't been assessed by a physio therapist, that should be your next step.

Often family physician's tend to be dismissive of sprains in my experience and won't refer you to a physio unless you specifically say that:

1. You are an athlete in a sport where ankle stability is crucial

2. You are seeking an assessment and guidance on when it is safe to return to training, as well as an exercise plan for rehabilitation if needed..

Agree totally. Go to a good PT and do your exercises religiously. I worked a lot of edges when I got back--it was good for range of motion. Didn't jump for a while but ended up with stronger basics. Hang in there!

Ailany

Spectator
Thank you! I will take your advice. Even though my ankle is feeling a ton better now and im able to walk with only the slightest bit of pain (rarely) I can see myself recovering quickly due to it being fairly minor. Hopefully I'll be back on the ice soon!