2017 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Canada Challenge

TGee

Record Breaker
Took a peek over at Novice Men on Rink 1 ...

Alec Guinzberg of Ft. Henry SC in EO is in 2nd with 45.04... He did better in the SP than the FS at sectionals, but this is close to a 6 point improvement from sectionals. Go Alec...

Dawson Nodewell of AB/NWT/NT is in the lead with an SP of 46.61...

Will want to catch their FS....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
A few of the novice men underperformed. Circelli and Denk for sure.

TGee

Record Breaker
Need to be somewhere else, I regret....

Look forward to checking in tomorrow, and seeing the Novice Pattern Dance results later.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Natalie & Bruce proving they're good ice dancers with the lead currently in novice pattern dance (Blues).

Hana Watanabe in the lead after 42 pre-novice ladies have skated.

Emily Bulawka in the lead in novice ladies. I recall now that she won the 2016 Skate BC/YK Super Series Victoria Day event. Will have to see how she fares in the FS.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Vienna had a fall on her 3S and some 2A trouble but good PCS regardless.

TGee

Record Breaker
I'm sorry to have missed Noémie Célestin-Plante's Pre-Novice SP. I'd found her an engaging skater and had been quite positively impressed at Minto Summer Skate, but she didn't skate clean there.

Looks as though she's been improving as the season progresses. Good to see her in 3rd after the SP with 36.83.

Last edited:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I'm sorry to have missed Noémie Célestin-Plante's Pre-Novice SP. I'd found her an engaging skater and had been quite positively impressed at Minto Summer Skate, but she didn't skate clean there.

Looks as though she's been improving as the season progresses. Good to see her in 3rd after the SP with 36.83.

Noémie is good friends with Justine Brasseur so I think both will be happy ladies tonight. :)

Today is so jam packed. I won't be able to watch most of it. We'll get the videos sorted out from Challenge. But I want to give Skate Canada some time to upload individual clips. They appear to be doing that with some skaters up. I'd prefer to keep everything in this thread, but if anyone wants to start another for videos you are quite welcome to. And bonne chance with sorting those videos. :biggrin:

TGee

Record Breaker
Noémie is good friends with Justine Brasseur so I think both will be happy ladies tonight. :)

Today is so jam packed. I won't be able to watch most of it. We'll get the videos sorted out from Challenge. But I want to give Skate Canada some time to upload individual clips. They appear to be doing that with some skaters up. I'd prefer to keep everything in this thread, but if anyone wants to start another for videos you are quite welcome to. And bonne chance with sorting those videos. :biggrin:

I'm going to try to see the top 3-5 in each category. Not sure if I will watch more than a few of the pairs. While all the sections are being encouraged to develop pairs programs, EO has none at present.

I was thinking of starting an adjacent thread just for video and results for the top placements.... That way it will be easier to come back and refer to them at nationals, rather than having to sort through the discussion thread...

I think that the top ranked skaters are intended to go into individual clips, as they aren't included with their warm up groups, but yes patience is needed. Sometimes I can find them by searching on the skater's name...

And I'm thinking that the folks who come to the State of Canadian Figure Skating would appreciate a few teasers, that is a few videos from interesting and promising skaters....but important not to overdo. If they want more, they could sample through the video and results thread....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
went to the thread... you two rock! I have no time this week.. ugh... will be looking at the event after it'd done and hopefully watch podium skates...

TGee

Record Breaker
Correction....:eek::

EO does have 2 junior pairs: Evelyn Walsh / Trent Michaud of London SC / Prince Edward SC. their SP for sectionals scored 54.77 which is in the range of some of our senior pairs. No FS score posted....Hannah Dawson /Christian Reekie don't have sectional scores posted so it seems they had a bye...

The Junior pairs look to be an interesting group to follow...looking at the ISU JPG standings:

Matte/Ferland of QC are 9th

Walsh/Michaud of EO are 12th

Brasseur/Ostiguy of QC are 14th

Dawson/Reekie of EO are 24th

Knoblauch/Wong of WO are 27th

Junior pairs has just 7 entries in two flights starting at 9:10 pm EST

TGee

Record Breaker
Novice Women.....

Wow...seeing promise for future. We still have 22 skaters to go in the FS and the total scores (SP +FS) have already broken 100....

Really hope Skate Canada or the provincial bodies can see their way to funding some of these to attend ISU Advanced Novice competitions to begin their international experience.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Catherine Carle set the Canadian novice women's record today. 90.39 points for the FS, 131.22 points total. Olivia Gran set the record previously at 2016 Challenge with 130.23. Catherine was better today than yesterday. Well done.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
So the novice women's podium is

1. Catherine Carle - CO 131.22 (NR)
2. Emma Bulawka - BC/YK 118.13
3. Rosalie Vincent - QC 115.36

All three sections have strong ladies. :)

TGee

Record Breaker
Catherine Carle set the Canadian novice women's record today. 90.39 points for the FS, 131.22 points total. Olivia Gran set the record previously at 2016 Challenge with 130.23. Catherine was better today than yesterday. Well done.

And Catherine Carle was more than 20 points ahead of Emma Bulawka of BC in second place with 118.13. Rosalie Vincent of QC third with 115.76.

Note that all three exceed Skate Canada's 2015-16 JPG minimum of 115....,

TGee

Record Breaker
So the novice women's podium is

1. Catherine Carle - CO 131.22 (NR)
2. Emma Bulawka - BC/YK 118.13
3. Rosalie Vincent - QC 115.36

All three sections have strong ladies. :)

But I still feel that I would like to see stronger SS and other program components from CO and BC skaters. QC competitors had generally better presentation, more one foot skating, transitions, less posing and reliance on moves in the field to fill the space between elements.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Seeing the live scoring and pre-nov Alyson Thibault tried a 3Lz. Wow.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
But I still feel that I would like to see stronger SS and other program components from CO and BC skaters. QC competitors had generally better presentation, more one foot skating, transitions, less posing and reliance on moves in the field to fill the space between elements.

You know it's interesting. I was thinking about this. The girls from QC remind me of Veronik Mallet. Really nice skating, but the technical skills could use help. Whereas other provinces are pushing the technical but not focusing as much on the PCS. Because you get a bonus for trying various triples, right? So why not go for them? I know we've already discussed McLeod and her skaters (Vasilisa's performance here was further proof of that) but I'm not sure about the rest of CO outside of Catherine. Natalie and Aurora aren't bad skaters...not sure about the rest as I haven't seriously followed the pre-nov and novice ladies here (kind of hard to without video streaming).

nadster

Final Flight

Agree here. I also feel that the Quebec skaters also struggle the most in conquering the nerves of competition. I never see the Quebec section send promising novices to international advanced novice competitions ( you see that sometimes from CO and BC ). Often the best skaters in Quebec never face off against each other until sectionals.

Ontario has a strength vs strength competition at Octoberfest ( based on summer results ). BC is a smaller section so there are never more than 2 pre-novice or novice groups in their local comps. ( Compare that to a section like Quebec that could have 8 or more pre-novice groups in a summer competition. Besides BC takes their Victoria day competition quite seriously.

IOW, the Quebec ladies have the least experience in strength vs strength competition

TGee

Record Breaker
Seeing the live scoring and pre-nov Alyson Thibault tried a 3Lz. Wow.

And I'm seeing fairly tough tech panels. Edge calls on lutzes and flips are being made for both he novice Women and men....

Novice Women.....

Wow...seeing promise for future. We still have 22 skaters to go in the FS and the total scores (SP +FS) have already broken 100....

Really hope Skate Canada or the provincial bodies can see their way to funding some of these to attend ISU Advanced Novice competitions to begin their international experience.

Last year SO sent a bunch of Novices to Luxemburg, with the amalgamation of the Ontario Sections, rumour has it that it won't be repeated this year.