2017 Skate Canada Challenge | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2017 Skate Canada Challenge

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i just got here.. i guess i missed everything???

S/B with the short from last year??? why??? and how did everyone rank???? Mango where are you? LOL

TGee

Record Breaker
i just got here.. i guess i missed everything???

S/B with the short from last year??? why??? and how did everyone rank???? Mango where are you? LOL

Been waiting for the results sheets to get posted...

Senior pairs

https://skatecanada.ca/results/2017challenge/2017CHALLSeniorPairCR.pdf

Séguin /Bilodeau. 72.50
Moore/Towers/Marinaro 71.22
Jones/Regan. 60.48
Ruest/Wolfe. 53.82
Ekaterinina/Arcieri. 46.20

MT/M are looking solid.

Jones/Regan much improved. Ruest/Wolfe not the best version of this year's SP we've seen. Could be a tough fight at nationals between these two teams for the 5th national team slot...

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i guess i am a mess... just went to streaming... it's men's now or is it finished??? anyways... i saw a bit of Celestino... i bumped into him in a line up for nasty greasy food at ACI and i thought he was very bubbly and cute (LOL.. he's way too young to be called handsome) in any case... i was glad to see the way he seems to really glide on the ice... nice skating... too bad about his lutz today... looking forward to seeing more of him. then they put an advert in the middle of replay so i decided to give up... no idea how to follow this event... kudos to the 3 of you who have so far ;)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
yeah... i guess i got there just when they posted them.... wow on MTM 2.0 i mean above 70 is a good pair score internationally and as we know, it's not like these would go down tremendously internationally... PCS are reasonable. GOEs as well...just good execution I guess..
Been waiting for the results sheets to get posted...

Senior pairs

https://skatecanada.ca/results/2017challenge/2017CHALLSeniorPairCR.pdf

Séguin /Bilodeau. 72.50
Moore/Towers/Marinaro 71.22
Jones/Regan. 60.48
Ruest/Wolfe. 53.82
Ekaterinina/Arcieri. 46.20

MT/M are looking solid.

Jones/Regan much improved. Ruest/Wolfe not the best version of this year's SP we've seen. Could be a tough fight at nationals between these two teams for the 5th national team slot...

TGee

Record Breaker
Junior Pairs....so many good qualities. Future of Canadian pairs looks bright...

Walsh/Michaud EO 56.04
Matte/Fernand QC. 55.04
Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy CO 50.34
Brasseur/Ostiguy. QC 47.30
Jones/den Boer BC/YK. 43.78
Dawson/Reekie EO 42.94
Knoblauch/Wong WO 41.78

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nice top 2 scores... I am guessing you meant to type Ostiguy for pair #4.

What kind of SP scores do pairs get at the Junior international level ?

(does it show i never follow juniors??? maybe i should start)
Junior Pairs....so many good qualities. Future of Canadian pairs looks bright...

Walsh/Michaud EO 56.04
Matte/Fernand QC. 55.04
Boys-Eddy/Boys-Eddy CO 50.34
Brasseur/Ostiguay. QC 47.30
Jones/den Boer BC/YK. 43.78
Dawson/Reekie EO 42.94
Knoblauch/Wong WO 41.78

TGee

Record Breaker
just went to streaming....

then they put an advert in the middle of replay so i decided to give up... no idea how to follow this event... kudos to the 3 of you who have so far ;)

Practice....learned the hard way and missed seeing some of the kids from our club skate last year.

Chrome ad block helps on the replays, but sometimes it just gives you a black page with sound and you have to allow ads.

..but even at that you will still find me whining about missing skates in earlier posts in this thread....

And if Mango, Nadster, syl20c, and I and the other 34 folks who were tracking the novice and pre-novice women yesterday and today can't make it work, perhaps Skate Canada might realize that its wild Ferrari version of a multitab Challenge page is not a plus...

A hello to Skate Canada's new CEO Debra Armstrong: you are paying a great deal for a service that is extraordinarily difficult to use. Please consult your BC/YK Executive Director Ted Barton. He gets how to make skating available to skaters, coaches and fans alike. He is beloved world wide by skating fans for his contribution to expanding ISU coverage. Please listen....

Last edited:

TGee

Record Breaker
Drat on Ostiguy....

Predictive spelling is not a plus on names. Especially when it keeps on changing Marinaro into Marinara....:shocked:

SC's overall score minimum requirement for selection the JPG in 2015-16 was 130 for pairs.

The top ranked pair in this year's JGP series Mishina/Mirosoev of Russia has a PB of 68.93. They will age out of juniors after next year.

Would need to check ages but my sense is that most of the Canadian teams are on the younger side.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Drat on Ostiguy....

Predictive spelling is not a plus on names. Especially when it keeps on changing Marinaro into Marinara....:shocked:

SC's overall score minimum requirement for selection the JPG in 2015-16 was 130 for pairs.

The top ranked pair in this year's JGP series Mishina/Mirosoev of Russia has a PB of 68.93. They will age out of juniors after next year.

Would need to check ages but my sense is that most of the Canadian teams are on the younger side.

mmmmmarinara ;) i am hungry now...

ok... thanks for the scores... so we are still a bit behind from JPG worlds ;)

TGee

Record Breaker
mmmmmarinara ;) i am hungry now...

ok... thanks for the scores... so we are still a bit behind from JPG worlds ;)

The good news is that our juniors have time to get out of Canada and grow before they need to compete against our seniors. :)

Depth is great, but it can discourage juniors from hanging in.....Consider how many junior ice dance teams split and retired this year...

ChiquitaBanana

Rinkside
Agree here. I also feel that the Quebec skaters also struggle the most in conquering the nerves of competition. I never see the Quebec section send promising novices to international advanced novice competitions ( you see that sometimes from CO and BC ). Often the best skaters in Quebec never face off against each other until sectionals.

IOW, the Quebec ladies have the least experience in strength vs strength competition

I am not sure you are well informed about competitions in Quebec... Within the section, there are QC summer skate in August, then Georges-Éthier in September before sectionals. With SC summer series, skaters had to two summer competitions, so many did QSS and Minto or Thornhill. You can add Quebec Games/jeux de la participation every spring.

QSS also has the "international level" events with skaters being judges by ISU judges.

Quebec sends skaters to Skate Detroit. Some go on their own to Liberty Skate.

Every club in Quebec is supposed to have a talent ID program. Then each of the 18 regions have one too. On a provincial level, there are A, B, C and D teams with many seminars and events happening. http://www.patinage.qc.ca/pages.asp?id=622

I do agree QC skaters, the older ones, are well packaged but lack athletism. Skating "nice" is a motto. I think it is more of a mentality problem then a competitive one. But I see the novice skaters, at least the girls, pushing the technical aspect. It takes a generation to see a change in philosophy...

nadster

Final Flight
I am not sure you are well informed about competitions in Quebec... Within the section, there are QC summer skate in August, then Georges-Éthier in September before sectionals. With SC summer series, skaters had to two summer competitions, so many did QSS and Minto or Thornhill. You can add Quebec Games/jeux de la participation every spring.

QSS also has the "international level" events with skaters being judges by ISU judges.

Quebec sends skaters to Skate Detroit. Some go on their own to Liberty Skate.

The Georges-Ethier competition is essentially a subsectional for the pre-novice , novice and junior ladies. Only the junior ladies compete in 1 group there. The pre-novice and novice ladies are separated into several groups and the top 96 pre-novice, top 40 novice and top 24 junior go on to sectionals. The pre-novice and novice qualify on their TES.

As far as US competitions go , Quebec sends lots of juniors and seniors to US competitions. Not so much for pre-novice ( intermediate in US ) / novice competitions since the US rules are very different from the Canadian ones. There are some Quebec pre-novs and novice there but far less than the juniors and seniors.

The US intermediate programs ( both SP and FS ) are shorter in length ( 2:00 SP and 2:30 LP for the US vs 2:30SP and 3:00LP in Canada ) than the Canadian pre-novice ones. As well while one can have 2 double axels in the SP in Canada , you can't do that in the US. The step sequence is levelled in Canada ( up to level 3 ) but is only a choreographic step in the US. Also US intermediates can only do 2 spins in the FS but Canadian pre-novice can do 3 spins.

In the US intermediate and novice competition, a 3 jump-combo is allowed in the FS. That is not allowed in Canada.

The US novices only get 6 jump passes while the Canadian ones get 7 ( provided one pass is 2A or highter ).

Sending novices to US in singles is somewhat doable. The differences between pre-novice in Canada and the intermediate equivalent in the US are too great.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Guys I'm sorry real life got in the way. A person has to cook to eat. No starving fans here. :)

Can I just start by saying WOW @ Natalie & Bruce? I kinda wish they'd just do ice dance full time, they are so good. They're skating to Monde Inversé from Kurios and another song (I forget the name) for their FD and it's such a good fit. Absolutely love the CuLi at the end. They were 2nd in the FD, but I quite enjoyed them. As well as the team who were first, Mizuki/Volskis.

Actually, all this talk of having more competition experience reminded me that at BC/YK sectionals Mizuki/Volskis were the only novice pair. So they didn't even get the chance to change their costume from doing pattern dance 1 to pattern dance 2. Didn't get any break. Just went back out, did another warm up, and competed again. And they were great in the FD last night.

Kasatkin/Circelli also did well. With the rep it has for high level singles skaters you wouldn't know it but Cricket Club is doing alright with its ice dance teams (Natalie & Bruce are there too).

Also Strachan/Zhu playing patty-cake in the kiss and cry :laugh: Love kids who can have fun. Reminds me of Tessa & Scott's anecdote that they would just be dying to get some ice cream. :)

I really wish Skate Canada could send these kids out to an advanced novice ice dance event. Like seriously, they could use the experience and get some ISU exposure. I know the rules in Canada are different, but it's not going to be helpful to make them wait for a limited JGP spot.

Junior pairs...

Walsh/Michaud look a bit better than we last saw them in Dresden. The twist is still crashy and those death spirals still need work, but everything else looks more coherent. I think they've slightly changed the music. Matte/Ferland are firmly in the top 2 right now. I can seem these two teams being sent to Junior Worlds. The Boys-Eddy siblings look alright. Got a level 4 on the triple twist. I wish they would start doing triple throws and triple SBS jumps. I hope they're working on it.

For me, I was disappointed for Brasseur/Ostiguy. They keep doing the throw 3Lz and I don't think they've landed it even once this season. They lose a lot of points in doing that. The dismount from the lift was iffy as well. They messed up this lift in sectionals if I recall correctly. They'll likely move up to 3rd tomorrow. But I'm not quite understanding what Bruno and Richard are doing with them. They need a triple twist. They need a triple throw they can land. They should ideally be working on SBS triple jumps for the SP. They do a 3T+2T+2T in the FS so I'll just be quiet and look forward to that. :shock2:

None of the novice men came close to the NR and actually the novice woman who won got a higher winning score so yeah. We'll leave it at that.

Senior men :noshake: Everyone was not feeling it tonight.

Senior pairs was the highlight of my night. Julianne & Charlie are back to a trusted, well liked SP. And good thinking to bring it back here rather than GPF. Kirsten and Michael appear to have made some strides, looking more comfortable together. Jones & Reagan looked good too. Not sure what's up with Ruest/Wolfe. Did not look themselves. Hope to see some good FS.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
omg at Bennet :( he was go gorgeous to watch at ACI... I hope he climbs back up where he deserves to be here... I thought he'd be 1st or 2nd.... sigh....

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
omg at Bennet :( he was go gorgeous to watch at ACI... I hope he climbs back up where he deserves to be here... I thought he'd be 1st or 2nd.... sigh....

Agreed! Not sure what happened and why he was stepping out on every jump.

Did you watch anyone/anything else?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
a bit of phan quad attempt and celestino :love: (puppy love LOL) i just love his gliding on the ice... i know nothing about strokes but it looks nice... maybe it's not great... enlighten me... :)
Agreed! Not sure what happened and why he was stepping out on every jump.

Did you watch anyone/anything else?

oh and i refuse to watch Liam... just saw the score and that's too heart breaking to watch... I am sorry Liam.. you hurt me too many times

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
a bit of phan quad attempt and celestino :love: (puppy love LOL) i just love his gliding on the ice... i know nothing about strokes but it looks nice... maybe it's not great... enlighten me... :)

oh and i refuse to watch Liam... just saw the score and that's too heart breaking to watch... I am sorry Liam.. you hurt me too many times

His 3A is just killing him. From the protocol it looks like he popped it into a single. I was a bit preoccupied with junior pairs and novice ice dance and seeing some of the men do so poorly I didn't stick around to watch.

Do you know if Phan has a 3A?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i don't know... well at least we have a few good men going to zagreb....
His 3A is just killing him. From the protocol it looks like he popped it into a single. I was a bit preoccupied with junior pairs and novice ice dance and seeing some of the men do so poorly I didn't stick around to watch.

Do you know if Phan has a 3A?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
watched senior pairs... yup... MTM2.0 did a good job..

i am really liking Ruest-Wolfe more and more... and more... they could be the fuure of pairs in Canada.. (with S/B)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Trennt Michaud will also be in the mix. He's got 1.5 seasons of junior eligibility left.

What's up with pairs programs in other provinces? I'm seeing a lot of entries from Quebec, some from Ontario, one from BC/YK, and two from AB/NWT/NT (one WD). Are we having a pairs shortage in Canada?