Country
United-States
18 - 20 Nov 2016

Beijing China
Free Dance
Saturday, November 19, 2016
14:30 UTC +8

Times in other time zones
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...179&p5=248&p6=240&p7=224&p8=286&p9=261&p10=18

Skate order

Entries​

No.NameNation
1Alexandra PAUL / Mitchell ISLAM
SD "Big Spender" from the Sweet Charity soundtrack and "Sing Sing Sing!;" choreo. by Romain Haguenauer
FD Liebestraum No. 3 in A flat by Franz Liszt, Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C sharp minor by Franz Liszt, Concerto Paraphrase on "Rigoletto" by Franz Liszt; choreo. by Romain Haguenauer
CAN
2Kaitlyn WEAVER / Andrew POJE
SD Blues: The Way You Make Me Feel by Judith Hill, Hip Hop: Dangerous by Michael Jackson,cHip Hop: Jam by Michael Jackson; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
FD Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo; choreo by Nikolai Morozov
CAN
3Hong CHEN / Yan ZHAO
SD Mon mec a moi performed by Patricia Kaas, Pigalle performed by Patricia Kaas; choreo by Alexander Zhulin, Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
FD Un peu plus haut performed by Lisa Angel, Thunder and Lightening performed by Ezio Bosso, Charms (W.E. soundtrack) by Abel Korzeniowski; choreo by Alexander Zhulin, Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali
CHN
4Linshu SONG / Zhuoming SUN
SD Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It) by Beyoncé; choreo by Anjelika Krylova
FD Skyfall (James Bond soundtrack) performed by Adele; choreo by Anjelika Krylova
CHN
5Shiyue WANG / Xinyu LIU
SD Blues by Gary Moore, Swing; choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
FD "New York, New York" by Ralph Burns; choreo by Anjelika Krylova, Pasquale Camerlengo
CHN
6Natalia KALISZEK / Maksym SPODYRIEV
SD Blues: Back to the Dirty Town by Blues Mystery, Hip Hop: Sax by Fleur East; choreo by Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka
FD Dirty Dancing (soundtrack); choreo by Sylwia Nowak-Trebacka
POL
7Victoria SINITSINA / Nikita KATSALAPOV
SD Blues: "Creole Love Call" by Duke Ellington; Swing: "It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)", performed by Lady Gaga and Tony Bennet
FD Tango by Astor Piazzolla
RUS
8Alexandra STEPANOVA / Ivan BUKIN
SD Blues: "At Last" , Hip-hop: "I Got Bills," by LunchMoney Lewis; choreo by Irina Zhuk, Aliona Samarskaia
FD Tango medley: Libertango by Astor Piazzolla, arranged by E. Runge, J. Ammon, Verano Porteno by Astor Piazzolla, Primavera Portena by Astor Piazzolla, Libertango by Astor Piazzolla; choreo by Irina Zhuk, Aliona Samarskaia
RUS
9Anastasia CANNUSCIO / Colin MCMANUS
SD "Harlem Nocturne" performed by Duke Ellington and "Puttin' On The Ritz (feat. Lari Hall)"; choreo by Karen Ludington, A. Cannuscio, C. McManus
FD "Time" by Billy Porter, "Beyond The Sky" by Karl Hugo, "Time" by Billy Porter; choreo by Karen Ludington, A. Cannuscio, C. McManus
USA
10Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
SD That's Life, performed by Frank Sinatra and Jay-Z; choreo by Hokuto Konishi, Aye Hasegawa, Serge Onik, Marina Zoueva, Massimo Scali
FD Evolution by various artists; choreo by Peter Tchernyshev
USA

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
hmm SB have a very good chance for 3rd...

at least its not tango back to back :laugh:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Need to wake up tomorrow at 7 am to watch :yawn: But someone need to cheer for these ID teams :hap10:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw thanks. Well I hope you'll indulge me with some thoughts before the FD starts... you pointed out in the SD thread regarding the Shibs:

This really is spot on. I ADORE their FD this year, because it plays to all of their strengths. But restraint and precision and exactitude aren't SHOWY, so they're usually overlooked . I always think if ID couples are like painters, then WePo are more VanGogh-esque, a bit messy but colorful and passionate. The Shibs are like Vermeer--whose genius creeps in on you until you are totally enmeshed in the world he has created. It's not a style that is au courant (whereas the Cold Play was tres au courant), but it is not going to date. This year's FD will be gorgeous fifty years from now.

No kidding about sneaking up! The first time I saw it -- both the practice video and then the actual dance -- I was like "this has potential" but I was a bit worried that it didn't have the same driving vehicle that Fix You did.

But then as the weeks passed by, I found myself going back to it. I've probably watched it several times since then. I know some people talked about what they mean by "Evolution" and I think WeakAnkles, you actually hit the nail on the head -- maybe not the same exact words. If Fix You was a dance about struggling and rising above -- then maybe this Evolution FD is about simple acceptance and embrace of their style of ice dance. I feel like that it took them a while to get there.

For some reason, I think about Missing 2.0 Polka. While I admire the effort to do something different (and I feel that way in hindsight about the Olympic MJ) -- neither dance really was them. They are not the Duchaneys nor are they a bombastic team to do MJ (at least where they were at the time)

I know people aren't sold on either of their programs this year -- especially compared to last year -- but I feel what's different this season -- is they have the confidence to keep working on it and selling it. This is their own creative vision on the line---which I feel wasn't the case just a few seasons ago.

My favorite part is the end, where they face each other. It's this sense of contentment at the world, as you said WA, they have created.

What do you think WeakAnkles?

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Not able to watch but sending my well wishes to the top 5

Go WP & SK :ghug:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Aw thanks. Well I hope you'll indulge me with some thoughts before the FD starts... you pointed out in the SD thread regarding the Shibs:

No kidding about sneaking up! The first time I saw it -- both the practice video and then the actual dance -- I was like "this has potential" but I was a bit worried that it didn't have the same driving vehicle that Fix You did.

But then as the weeks passed by, I found myself going back to it. I've probably watched it several times since then. I know some people talked about what they mean by "Evolution" and I think WeakAnkles, you actually hit the nail on the head -- maybe not the same exact words. If Fix You was a dance about struggling and rising above -- then maybe this Evolution FD is about simple acceptance and embrace of their style of ice dance. I feel like that it took them a while to get there.

For some reason, I think about Missing 2.0 Polka. While I admire the effort to do something different (and I feel that way in hindsight about the Olympic MJ) -- neither dance really was them. They are not the Duchaneys nor are they a bombastic team to do MJ (at least where they were at the time)

I know people aren't sold on either of their programs this year -- especially compared to last year -- but I feel what's different this season -- is they have the confidence to keep working on it and selling it. This is their own creative vision on the line---which I feel wasn't the case just a few seasons ago.

My favorite part is the end, where they face each other. It's this sense of contentment at the world, as you said WA, they have created.

What do you think WeakAnkles?

Awww. Thank you for this.

I don't really have much to add to your excellent post. Subtlety is usually a hard sell in ice skating as a whole, let alone dance. It's considered "boring." Same with minimalist music. It doesn't WOW you the way a big rock song like "Fix You" does. But there is just something about this FD that has really stuck with me longer and deeper than any other FD I've seen so far. And the previous dance it reminds me of the most is the Shibs' Memoirs of a Geisha, which was similarly derides as "boring."

Well you know, de gustibus and all that jazz. And I loves me the big and brassy and ballsy a heap. But there is something equally beautiful and entertaining in just how precise and exact that kind of small canvas can be. The hardest poems to write, after all, aren't the big epics. It's the small lyric. Because each word, each line break, each pause, each sound has so much more weight to carry.

Someone once said to me, that if you really want to be heard in a nosy crowd--and given how tight the competition has become in ID this year, it is its own kind of noisy crowd--you should whisper UNDER the noise rather than try to scream ABOVE it. I've been thinking about that a lot when I've rewatched the SA performance.

But you know, YMMV and all that. And this is just my two coppers.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Time for me to thank auser for being AWESOME with all those lovely working links. Thank you so much!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Awww. Thank you for this.

I don't really have much to add to your excellent post. Subtlety is usually a hard sell in ice skating as a whole, let alone dance. It's considered "boring." Same with minimalist music. It doesn't WOW you the way a big rock song like "Fix You" does. But there is just something about this FD that has really stuck with me longer and deeper than any other FD I've seen so far. And the previous dance it reminds me of the most is the Shibs' Memoirs of a Geisha, which was similarly derides as "boring."

Well you know, de gustibus and all that jazz. And I loves me the big and brassy and ballsy a heap. But there is something equally beautiful and entertaining in just how precise and exact that kind of small canvas can be. The hardest poems to write, after all, aren't the big epics. It's the small lyric. Because each word, each line break, each pause, each sound has so much more weight to carry.

Someone once said to me, that if you really want to be heard in a nosy crowd--and given how tight the competition has become in ID this year, it is its own kind of noisy crowd--you should whisper UNDER the noise rather than try to scream ABOVE it. I've been thinking about that a lot when I've rewatched the SA performance.

But you know, YMMV and all that. And this is just my two coppers.

Yep, YMMV here-- and I expect that few people share my (your) opinion. And yeah, de gustibus.

I feel like your last point about "whispering" has defined the Shibs' entire career. Based on press interviews --it's clear they have hear loud-and-clear the naysayers, the gloom and doom....not to mention the judges relative disfavor toward them after winning bronze in 2011. Instead of "shouting" "We're not ready to move yet." They have decided to do it in the most subtle matter.

Anyway, that's it for me -- back to the general discussion of the FD, which starts in 4 minutes!!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Level 4 Twizzles for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing 4 FDs I've yet to see. The 2 Chinese teams other than the one that competed at SC(who I thought were quite lovely) and the polish and young american teams.

Go shibs, go leggy russians S/B and S/K and go Weaver/Poje.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I'm currently awake and not doing anything other than trying to figure out why iMovie won't put a montage of Aliya Mustafina I made on YouTube, so I guess I should watch this...let's see how long I last before I need to sleep :laugh:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Why has ice dance never really been taken seriously in China?

I really liked Song and Sun's Beyoncé program yesterday. I think they have potential.