2016 Cup of China Pairs SP | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Pairs SP

QuadThrow

Medalist
Yu/Zhang really impressed me. Great twist and very consistent at the indiviual jumps. They can add the 4Tw next year and they will be able to be on the podium in 2018. I can already see the top draw in poeng chang: D/R, S/M, S/K, S/H and Y/Z.

There are so many pairs with a big twist this year. T/M. Y/Z and S/M. To be honest. Aljona's twist still is level 2 and this is quite crazy.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm impressed to see multiple level 3 and 4 twist calls! It appears the tech controller here didn't get the memo to be a twist nazi that all the tech controllers seemed to get at the other GPs.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Yuko and Alex make me sad. They seem to be in a similar position to Mao Asada this season - unable to achieve the technical elements they used to, let alone keep up with the rest of the field. They aren't even hitting their levels on spins, steps, and the death spiral. Breaking my heart.

I got EXACTLY the same vibe. They're totally the Asada of the pairs field. Great skating but technically they've just hit an impasse with injuries and the like. It is heartbreaking because I feel they've constantly been overshadowed even though they've proven people wrong. And they've also tried to push for harder difficulty with the throw quads which is so respectable especially at their career stage/age.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'm impressed to see multiple level 3 and 4 twist calls! It appears the tech controller here didn't get the memo to be a twist nazi that all the tech controllers seemed to get at the other GPs.

Sometimes it's hard to call twist levels, especially if there's a discernible hesitation or break before the actual twist (where preceding steps adds a level).

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
I always root for K/S and I hate to see them struggle. I hope they can perform well and stay injury free! :cheer:

Despite the success of the Chinese Pairs, I can't feel completely satisfied with the way the pair swap came about. I'm glad to see Cheng Peng enjoying herself more though; she seems to have captured a brighter persona. I don't think I can ever enjoy them as much as I should though, since I feel so bad for Xiaoyu :(

qwertyskates

Medalist
As for the Chinese pairs, I really don't think we should be too sentimental about the pairing switch - they're all athletes performing to win. Peng is a much more manageable sized partner than Yu for Jin, and she's nailing her triples now...yay! They are looking very comfortable in terms of size and compatibility. If this strategy helps them all to have a better go at the podium then it is right for them as it is after all their career goals. Of course they should keep up the friendship/relationship off ice, hope they develop deeper ties off ice and better performances while on, and live happily ever after. :laugh:

I also love Wang/Wang, such a dazzling pair.:love:

The only issue is to get a shot at the podium they all need more magnificent programs. Right now, these are quite run-of-the-mill, they should start planning something special soon, the way Alyona and Bruno choreographed theirs.

I won't worry at all about retiring partners - Alyona found hers almost immediately and she's back in no time throwing herself at the podium!:biggrin:

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I've only got around to watching Yu/Zhang's SP, they barely have any chemistry but that mirrored stsq was :luv17:

Ilvskating

Final Flight
I'm just thrilled for all the Chinese pairs, never look better! These new pairs work wonders! I'm especially happy for Cheng Peng and I believe this new pair has unique charisma and chemistry right off the bat. They could be a force in no time. Xiaoyu is actually happy then ever before and it's a good match after all. Y/Z look quite good together to my surprise. I was completely in awe when watching them live in Skate Canada and they just repeated it. Such mesmerizing performance and huge elements. Xiaoyu's lines and postures are to die for. When they add the big element in next season they can seriously challenge the world podium. Now I think China has legitimate hope to get three berths back for the Olympics with 3+ decent pairs. I loved W/W from the very beginning when they first skated in COC and got a podium finish. They are so lovely and I just hope she can nail her jumps in the LP and that would be a dream come true.

Glad to see Lubov finally land a clean triple! Such a pity he messed it up. I would put them a bit more behind Y/Z, and they should be a toss up with P/J for that performance, if not behind. So sad for Yuko. She's such a fighter but sometimes I guess enough is enough. Wait when you're healthy and have all the element back. This is heartbreaking. I really loved their Manfred program for the first performance at SA of the first season.

All in all, good competitions and wish everybody good luck in the FS!

Last edited:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Culture Question. The stands werent exactly packed, but the fans shown on the feed were not exactly enthusiastic even for the Chineese Pairs. Some didnt even clap. The fans that did were polite but not "rowdy" Cultural thing? I would have stood for the winners....:scratch2:

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Disappointing to see K/S down in 6th but the placement is fair. Yuko seems to have lost confidence on the jumps. Also they didn't get the levels. The DS only got a two and the spins and steps were 3. They were ranked 3rd on the PCS, which kinda shows that the judges will go with them if things are done cleanly.

A deserved lead for Y/Z. I really like this couple, I didn't think I would but I do. The one thing I noticed this time was the long build up to the 3T but apart from that everything was top quality. A great skate for I/M to be second, I'm glad she landed her 3T but shocked to see he didn't. They really seemed to have pushed on this season, they have a good chance of making the GPF. A great debut for P/J, immediately she showed tonnes of personality. She definitely looks happier in this partnership. I thought they would have been second but their PCS is a little lower. So far the pair switch looks to have worked for China. I also enjoyed DM/G, they are a couple that shows by working hard you can improve.

Looking forward to the free.