Country
United-States
18 - 20 Nov 2016

Beijing China
Men's Short Program
Friday, November 18, 2016
19:45 UTC +8

Times in other time zones
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclo...179&p5=248&p6=240&p7=224&p8=286&p9=261&p10=18

RESULTS

Pl. NameNationTSS
=
TES
+
PCS
+
SSTRPECOINDed.
-
StN.
1Boyang JINCHN96.1757.02 39.157.797.468.117.937.860.00#7
2Daniel SAMOHINISR83.4746.47 38.007.757.327.617.647.681.00#5
3Patrick CHANCAN83.4138.92 44.499.078.898.578.899.070.00#1
4Sergei VORONOVRUS82.9344.36 38.577.897.397.797.687.820.00#3
5Max AARONUSA81.6743.90 37.777.647.327.717.467.640.00#9
6Ross MINERUSA76.7338.74 37.997.717.467.617.647.570.00#2
7Michal BREZINACZE75.8636.53 39.337.867.687.897.868.040.00#10
8Han YANCHN75.0435.87 39.178.077.647.687.827.960.00#6
9Alexander PETROVRUS74.2137.35 36.867.397.117.437.507.430.00#8
10Maxim KOVTUNRUS70.1032.73 37.377.617.437.257.547.540.00#4

:bm: Geek on Ice's Score analysis

Start Order

StN.NameNation
Warm-Up Group 1
1Patrick CHAN
CAN
2Ross MINER
USA
3Sergei VORONOV
RUS
4Maxim KOVTUN
RUS
5Daniel SAMOHIN
ISR
Warm-Up Group 2
6Han YAN
CHN
7Boyang JIN
CHN
8Alexander PETROV
RUS
9Max AARON
USA
10Michal BREZINA
CZE

Entries​

No.NameNation
1Patrick CHAN
SP "Dear Prudence" by The Beatles, "Blackbird" by The Beatles; choreo by Pasquale Camerlengo
LP “A Journey," composed by Eric Radford; choreo by David Wilson
CAN
2Boyang JIN
SP "Spiderman Theme (Junkie XL Remix)" performed by Michael Buble;"choreo by Lori Nichol
LP2 La Strada by Nino Rota; choreo by Lori Nichol
CHN
3Han YAN
SP "I'll Take Care Of You" performed by Beth Hart, Joe Bonamassa; choreo by Lori Nichol
LP Kissing You (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong, Balcony Scene (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong, Tybalt Arrives (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong, Fight Scene (from "Romeo and Juliet" soundtrack) by Craig Armstrong; choreo by Lori Nichol
CHN
4Michal BREZINA
SP The Way You Look Tonight by Jerome Kern; choreo by J. Buttle (SP)
LP Once Upon a Time mix by Ennio Morricone; choreography by Tom Dickson (FS)
CZE
5Daniel SAMOHIN
SP "Delilah," performed by Tom Jones; choreo by Irina Samohin, Olga Volozhinskaia
LP The Illusionist by Maxim Rodriguez; choreo by Irina Samohin, Olga Volozhinskaia
ISR
WDDaisuke MURAKAMI
SP "Bring Him Home" by Josh Groban; choreo by Lori Nichol
LP "Pagliacci" by Andrea Bocelli; choreo by Lori Nichol
JPN
6Maxim KOVTUN
SP Bahamut by Hazmat Modine; choreo by Anna Bilibina, Elena Maslennikova
LP2 "Iron Sky" by Paolo Nutini; choreo by Anna Bilibina, Elena Maslennikova
RUS
7Alexander PETROV
SP Ritual Dance of Fire (from "El Amor Brujo") by Manuel de Falla ; choreo by Tatiana Prokofieva, Misha Ge
LP Frank Sinatra Selection, "Chicago" by Frank Sinatra, "I'm Gonna Live Till I Die" performed by Frank Sinatra; choreo by Tatiana Prokofieva, Misha Ge
RUS
8Sergei VORONOV
SP Los Vestidos Desgarados by Alberto Iglesias (The Skin I Live In soundtrack); choreo by Anna Bilibina, Nikolai Morozov
LP Exogenesis Symphony Part 3 by Muse; choreo by Anna Bilibina, Nikolai Morozov
RUS
9Max AARON
SP Nessun Dorma (from "Turandot") by Giacomo Puccini, performed by Luciano Pavarotti; choreo by Phillip Mills
LP The Lion King soundtrack by Elton John; choreo by Phillip Mills
USA
10Ross MINER
SP New York State of Mind by Billy Joel; choreo by Jamie Isley, Lori Nichol
LP medley of Queen songs - "Somebody to Love," "Love of My Life" & "Crazy Little Thing Called Love.;" choreo by Jamie Isley & Lori Nichol
USA

Last edited by a moderator:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
The three podium finishers from 2016 Four Continents are facing off. Hoping to see fantastic performances as we saw in the FS of that event.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Just for a strategic reason, I hope Boyang wins the title (sorry Patrick ;) ) and then advance to GPF as Patrick is already secured for his spot to GPF.

I also wish Han is coming back to his old form on the home ice.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Such a strong lineup here.

I am rooting for Boyang Jin and the three russians, in particular Voronov and Kovtun cause were underscored at skate america in order to favour the two americans, so a little bit of justice is needed.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Such a strong lineup here.

I am rooting for Boyang Jin and the three russians, in particular Voronov and Kovtun cause their scores were underscored at skate america in order to favour the two americans, so a little bit of justice is needed.

And that's why Kovtun messed up in the SP? Come on, I don't dislike either -- I like Voronov especially. But he too leaves points on the table with his current jump layout.

I hope they both do well, regardless.

eta

Medalist
Hoping everyone does well, especially rooting for Boyang and Yan Han~

And wishing an injury-free event for everyone!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Hoping everyone does well, especially rooting for Boyang and Yan Han~

And wishing an injury-free event for everyone!

Boyang and Han both need to find a way to calm down their minds during competition. Boyang, with his quad loaded programs, is particularly susceptible to either extremely high scores or multiple jump failures. His greatest asset for competition success was a totally carefree attitude with no concerns for results whatsoever but it proves hard to maintain now that he is in the spotlight with extremely high expectation on him from all sides. More experiences may help him to manage his state of mind. Han too, in explaining his poor showings, has mentioned several times that he thought too much. He's in an uneasy situation with not breaking through after a few years in the Senior rank and the fact that young Boyang did may have added to the frustration and pressure.

I hope they both shine in front of the home crowd.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Ack, the time difference goes the other way, actually quite inconvenient.

Boyang's been working a lot on his skating skills, etc though. I am not surprised his jumps are iffy now. His SP especially was much better than anything he did before for me, so I think it was a calculated sacrifice to up the rest before the Olympic season starts. I don't think it was the wrong thing to do, if he can get it all back by the time PC hits.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
And that's why Kovtun messed up in the SP? Come on, I don't dislike either -- I like Voronov especially. But he too leaves points on the table with his current jump layout.

I hope they both do well, regardless.

Of course not, but the PCS for these skaters were lowballed anyway, and yes Rippon or Brown are certainly better artistically, i don't see that 20 points gap on the components mark realistic.

Also the short program scores for the two americans were a little ridiculous: with an invalidated element and a fall on the quad i honestly still can't believe Jason Brown received 85 points, while GOEs were all over the place to boost Adam's really poor bv for a skater who aim for a medal.

But i'm not complaining too much: that was US opportunity to use their home advantage, so now i'm hoping these skaters will deliver here decent performances because i think they are better than this.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
No but the PCS for these skaters were lowballed anyway, and yes Rippon or Brown are certainly better artistically, i don't see that 30 points gap on the components mark realistic.

But i'm not complaining too much: that was US opportunity to use their home advantage, so now i'm hoping these skaters will deliver here decent performances because i think they are better than this.

Where are you getting 30 points?
In the short program,
the gap between Sergei and Jason/Adam was a little over 5 points. Gap between Maxim was a poing higher.

Free skating:
The gap between Jason and Sergei was 10 points, 5 points from Adam.
The gap between Jason and Maxim was 15 ponits, 10 points from Adam.

It adds up at most 20 points cumulative between Jason and Maxim. But Maxim messed up in the SP, so I'm not sure if this is a big indicator of anything.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Where are you getting 30 points?
In the short program,
the gap between Sergei and Jason/Adam was a little over 5 points. Gap between Maxim was a poing higher.

Free skating:
The gap between Jason and Sergei was 10 points, 5 points from Adam.
The gap between Jason and Maxim was 15 ponits, 10 points from Adam.

It adds up at most 20 points cumulative between Jason and Maxim. But Maxim messed up in the SP, so I'm not sure if this is a big indicator of anything.

I've edited that post, sorry!

Sometimes i click reply before reading it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Of course not, but the PCS for these skaters were lowballed anyway, and yes Rippon or Brown are certainly better artistically, i don't see that 20 points gap on the components mark realistic.

Also the short program scores for the two americans were a little ridiculous: with an invalidated element and a fall on the quad i honestly still can't believe Jason Brown received 85 points, while GOEs were all over the place to boost Adam's really poor bv for a skater who aim for a medal.

Just out of curiosity, what PCS would you have given Sergei and Maxim, and why?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Jin and Aaron both have 7 points so far, even a win here might not be enough to get Jin into GPF, I think. The Russian Nationals are approaching maybe the Russian skaters here and in NHK next week might do well and bury some skaters´ dreaming of GPF... At least there should be no pressure for them.

Last edited:

eppen

Medalist
Country
Spain
Jin and Aaron both have 7 points so far, even a win here might not be enough to get Jin into GPF, I think. The Russian Nationals are approaching maybe the Russian skaters here and in NHK next week might do well and bury some skaters´ dreaming of GPF... At least there should be no pressure for them.

With a win Yin/Aaron has a chance because at the mo, it seems that 22 p can be enough to bring a male skater to the GPF... Win would get Yin/Aaron to 22 p and tie with Rippon who has two 3rd places + a high total, but the first tie rule states that the higher placement wins, ie the possible win would take Y/A over Rippon. If Voronov or Brezina wins, their total would be 24 p and quite probably qualify for the GPF. A 2nd place would bring them to tie with Rippon and the 2nd place would win over Rippons two third places and maybe qualify for the final.

E

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course not, but the PCS for these skaters were lowballed anyway, .

*extremely loud snort*

Yeah. Your precious Kovtun had two invalid jump passes and was just four points behind Brendan whose only error was to fall on the (rotated) quad. Yeah. Cry me a river again about Kovtun being dumped?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I really wanted to see He Zhang or Yi Wang as a host pick for the event, but Wang wasn't invited for whatever reason, and Zhang withdrew. Wang was so unfortunate after his only international showing at TEB was crushed due to the Paris terrorist attacks last season. The CSA doesn't send their skaters to B-competitions except occasionally to Asian Trophy in the early of season. :eek:hwell:

According to his ISU bio, Runqi Liu competed in the juniors last season. For those who are not familiar with the skater, I bring in some clips of his past performances. I was bit annoyed that he made a long pause when his planed element didn't go well as if he gives up on his performance. I hope he tries his best as he is previleged to have a big opportunity to compete in the deep field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3eZ0XW6Ls0 SP 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixqk1pRS734 FS 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01ZRlQ9dEA SP 2016 Natiaonls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvqVH8DXtI FS 2016 Natiaonls

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I really wanted to see He Zhang or Yi Wang as a host pick for the event, but Wang wasn't invited for whatever reason, and Zhang withdrew. Wang was so unfortunate after his only international showing at TEB was crushed due to the Paris terrorist attacks last season. The CSA doesn't send their skaters to B-competitions except occasionally to Asian Trophy in the early of season. :eek:hwell:

According to his ISU bio, Runqi Liu competed in the juniors last season. For those who are not familiar with the skater, I bring in some clips of his past performances. I was bit annoyed that he made a long pause when his planed element didn't go well as if he gives up on his performance. I hope he tries his best as he is previleged to have a big opportunity to compete in the deep field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3eZ0XW6Ls0 SP 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixqk1pRS734 FS 2015 JGP Colorado Springs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m01ZRlQ9dEA SP 2016 Natiaonls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUvqVH8DXtI FS 2016 Natiaonls

it seems to me he was for sure not too happy about the spin but he had to wait not to be ahead of his music, not necessarily giving up???

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
it seems to me he was for sure not too happy about the spin but he had to wait not to be ahead of his music, not necessarily giving up???

He did that too in his FS. He may be disappointed in himself, but a good performer doesn't show such a perplexed face expression immediately. His lacks of international exposure can be attributed to it though. He has nice lines, so I hope he maximizes his strength in front of the home audience.