COC 2016: Onsite and Practice Reports | Page 2 | Golden Skate

COC 2016: Onsite and Practice Reports

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Ask and you shall receive, someone here said that Ashley did everything except for the 3Lz in her FS, looked pretty clean.

Btw her Chinese nickname is 瓦娘 if you want to search for more posts about her, it loosely translates as Diva Wah

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Ask and you shall receive, someone here said that Ashley did everything except for the 3Lz in her FS, looked pretty clean.

Btw her Chinese nickname is 瓦娘 if you want to search for more posts about her, it loosely translates as Diva Wah

瓦 is from Wagner but 娘 is more about her age relative to the young Ladies than Divaness IMO, a precursor before 瓦姨. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i live diva wah better than granny wah... :)

She's a long way to go before Granny Wah, 瓦婆 or 瓦嬷. 瓦姨 is just Auntie Wah whereas 娘 is a more general term for a grown woman, and has many usages in various titles.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
So many great skaters at this event and two of my all time favorites with Patrick and Max being in the same event. If I have to choose.....I always go with Patrick. Until he retires, he's the senior member of my existing favorites and I'll always want him on top of the podium.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
4everchan approves
So many great skaters at this event and two of my all time favorites with Patrick and Max being in the same event. If I have to choose.....I always go with Patrick. Until he retires, he's the senior member of my existing favorites and I'll always want him on top of the podium.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:( I guess Evgenia was smart to wear a mask when she was watching Rostelecom.
Liza is recovering from the flu which she got after attending Rostelecom (as a spectator), so not surprising that she's not going all out in practice. She posted a picture just a few days ago, saying "Help!" because she was still not feeling well.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

mrrice

Record Breaker
But karne does not! :scowl:

KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh2: Sorry, Girl!!!!! You know how much I love Max.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Ashley's chinese nickname has another layer of meaning. (the reference to older skater discussed before in this thread is also all relevant).
It hints her status in figure skating as well. In Chinese history, King has many wives, they all have different ranking. Queen is the highest status。And the status that Chinese character refers to is a general name for the wives that is just one rank lower than Queen.
Ashley's Chinese nickname has that connotation as well. (her success in recent couple of years, has reached to the status just one step away from Queen). As for how she got that nickname. it is a long story.

qwertyskates

Medalist
Love the mood here...it's looking relaxed and congenial :laugh:even though this is one of the most crucial GPs in determining the GPF! So many of the top flight here..I'm so nervous, I want almost everyone to win, but thanks to all for sharing the snippets. Would love to hear how Ashley got her royal title. :luv17:

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Karne should appreciate the fact that Patrick's American training buddies Ryan Bradley in 2011 and Max Aaron in 2013, won the National title against all odds and beliefs. Jeremy Abbott too won in 2014. I wonder about Nathan's chances at the coming US Nationals.