2017 Italian Figure Skating Championships | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2017 Italian Figure Skating Championships

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Well she's at least in line for the Olympics next year if Carolina can manage to get them 2 spots for next year. I imagine that she would retire afterwards.

On the other hand, I'm glad that Italy has two spots for Pairs, as I love both of their top pairs teams. They are so different but somehow pretty equally matched technically, and I'm glad that they will both get to Worlds.

Very true. And I would not bet against Carolina being able to earn a second slot.

However, having seen how Roberta got on in the GP Series, she could come under pressure from a lot of corners for the second slot. Having won Nationals for the past 2 years, Giada Russo will want to prove that she should be the undisputed number 2. And although it has been a while since she shone, Nikol Gosviani will be a threat (OK, so I am biased because I'm a fan). And Micol Cristini will want to return to the form that she showed as a Junior a few years ago.

So, that is why I am so intrigued to see what happens over the next couple of days.

CaroLiza_fan

rosy14

Final Flight
Many sincere thanks to you and all the others in this thread for your interest in our Nationals. I mean, we're not the Russians or Japanese or Canadians or Americans...

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Many sincere thanks to you and all the others in this thread for your interest in our Nationals. I mean, we're not the Russians or Japanese or Canadians or Americans...

That is true, but you have good skaters in all categories (men are a bit weak, but Ivan has his moments, and Daniel Grassl is promising) and even some interesting rivalries, which is more than most other European countries can say. :)

rosy14

Final Flight
That is true, but you have good skaters in all categories (men are a bit weak, but Ivan has his moments, and Daniel Grassl is promising) and even some interesting rivalries, which is more than most other European countries can say. :)

Ivan had a good SP.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I have actually found over the past few years that Italian Championships are my favourite Nationals after the "Big Four". OK, so things never run to time (it's Italy, after all!), but they are very well organised and the online coverage is top notch.

And because of all this, I always made a point of including them in the Predictions Game (unfortunately, burn-out and circumstances prevented them being included this time).

Of course, it was because of Carolina that I first became a proper figure skating fan. So there was a natural draw to watch the Italian Championships.

But there were lots of other Italian skaters that I liked over the years. And, through watching Nationals, I have come to like other Italian skaters who we do not get to see on the international stage. Quite a few of the juniors, for example.

Because I do not follow Novice skating, I had never seen young Alessia Tornaghi before last year's Nationals. But since then, I am convinced that she is a massive star of the future.

And that is what I love about following Nationals. Discovering promising skaters before they appear on the international stage.

And boys but I can't wait until she is old enough to do Junior GP's!

CaroLiza_fan

sallycinnamon

Medalist
I really really enjoyed her performance! Her 3Lo was spot on today, too!

She is currently in the first place with 74 points. Yay! :clap:

Congratulations, Carolina!

franco1991

Rinkside
Yes it was lovely! The technical score is low even for european standards. I am quite concerned for her spins, but also I think the second toe loop in the combo was underrotated.
I really really enjoyed her performance! Her 3Lo was spot on today, too!

She is currently in the first place with 74 points. Yay! :clap:

Congratulations, Carolina!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
What happened to Nikol that she didn't skate? I was caught out by Caro going on straight after the Warm-Up.

CaroLiza_fan

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Oh, you don't know how Italian teachers and professors at school react, when their pupils and students miss some (boring) lessons and classes to go and compete ! You Americans and Canadians can't absolutely figure out. A boy or girl risk losing the entire year at school !
I have personal experience with my brothers and then my daughter. Perhaps if you're going to Olympics...but for Nationals ? in so a minor sport ? No way !
But then if you become a top football player, ah, then they keep reminding you they were your teachers, and please, can you provide us with tickets for Champions' League Finale in Milan ?

Me American? :rofl: I have clearly stated under my avatar than I'm from Poland... You could read at least that before exclaim that I'm North American. But I did not know they are so strict about it.I thought maybe they're going to special classes that focus on sports and are more forgiving of missing lessons if there are competitions, so thank you for insight. I'll keep that in mind next time :)

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Yes it was lovely! The technical score is low even for european standards. I am quite concerned for her spins, but also I think the second toe loop in the combo was underrotated.

Yes the spins were slow but I sincerely hope she can do better once her stamina gets better.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What music Chiara was skating to? I've heard it before but can't remember where. I'm really happy I managed to get on time to see Lucrezia! :hap10:

EDIT: Ok, it's GOT, but that wasn't what it was reminding me of... but nevermind.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What happened to Lucrezia's leg? :( Nice skate!

EDIT: I watched Carolina skate, and this porgram could be fabulous. Minus laying egg move. And spins need ot get better, she won't get that score at Europeans for that. But I really wih she'll get it together and maybe podium there!

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I can't remember, did Bianca Mannocardi and her partner (forgot his name) have split?

Ghilardi/Ambrosini have nice program, but it was very messy. He even lost balance when throwing her...

Btw. Is techno music very popular in Italy?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Vale & Ondrej :luv17: Was my eyes deceiving me or there was only double twist?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Della Monica/Guarise went clean, and are leading. So it must have really been only double twist form M/H.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Tessari/Fioretti are very entertaining. But even I saw their mistake at descending from lift...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I'm not Ice Dance expert, but 78 seems high for Anna & Luca. On the other hand, where if not at Nationals?

rosy14

Final Flight
Me American? :rofl: I have clearly stated under my avatar than I'm from Poland... You could read at least that before exclaim that I'm North American. But I did not know they are so strict about it.I thought maybe they're going to special classes that focus on sports and are more forgiving of missing lessons if there are competitions, so thank you for insight. I'll keep that in mind next time :)

Oh, excuse me for having overlooked to give a look to your photo while reading. However I was talking to all the readers of this thread in order to clarify our situation. No, no special classes for athletes ( or ballerinas too), but holidays spent on books, nights awoke to keep the pace, home working done in cars, vans, buses, trains, planes, parents going and pleading with teachers and professors not to let out the kids, etc. At own point you arrive at the big decision: compete and leave the school, stay in school and forget competitions.

Last edited: