2016 Cup of China Gala | Page 9 | Golden Skate

2016 Cup of China Gala

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Lmao so it was an "official" quad battle?? Is this a thing now? :laugh: I think it sounds fun but it seems to put unnecessary pressure on the guys? It should be a fun thing between skaters who want to play along (unless your name is Nam who trained with guys who's name begins with J and Y):devil:

I hope one day a Lady wins with a great 3A or quad.

Raomina

On the Ice
It was more like a show me-your-best-jump contest. Interesting that the quality vs degree of difficult contest was a draw, reflecting competition scores frequently awarded.

I just rewatched the video posted above and it was definitely a 'quad' battle. The announcer specifically said that they each had one chance to put out a perfect quad jump. They seem to be emphasizing a lot on quads, given that they had 2 quad-related awards here.

Lmao so it was an "official" quad battle?? Is this a thing now? :laugh: I think it sounds fun but it seems to put unnecessary pressure on the guys? It should be a fun thing between skaters who want to play along (unless your name is Nam who trained with guys who's name begins with J and Y):devil:

Yea, it was 'official' in that it was not spontaneously organized by the skaters themselves and there was an award for the winner. It's still just a fun thing and I think skaters in general like to show off anyway and this gives them a chance to do it without seeming 'cocky'. Not everyone is like Yuzuru who is just unabashed about it and will do it without being 'asked' to. :laugh:

eta

Medalist
I just rewatched the video posted above and it was definitely a 'quad' battle. The announcer specifically said that they each had one chance to put out a perfect quad jump. They seem to be emphasizing a lot on quads, given that they had 2 quad-related awards here.

Yea, it was 'official' in that it was not spontaneously organized by the skaters themselves and there was an award for the winner. It's still just a fun thing and I think skaters in general like to show off anyway and this gives them a chance to do it without seeming 'cocky'. Not everyone is like Yuzuru who is just unabashed about it and will do it without being 'asked' to. :laugh:

I think the skaters who are used to doing ice shows are less "shy" about such things, they are required to do all sorts of stuff like taking their clothes off and crossdressing and such :laugh2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
i laughed when he was trying to pull them up before the quad battle... as if he knew they were too tight and rigid to allow him to land anything over a triple... exhibition would have been fine for me... ;) but at least we got some pchiddy abs ;)
I was actually concerned that one of those tears was going to split :laugh: That could have put the "exhibition" in gala!

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
i laughed when he was trying to pull them up before the quad battle... as if he knew they were too tight and rigid to allow him to land anything over a triple... exhibition would have been fine for me... ;) but at least we got some pchiddy abs ;)

:laugh:

Now we know how he lost the quad battle. He could have challenged the rest for highest GOE with a Loin King Belly Flop.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Then there was the quad battle. I think Han Yan did a 3T, Max fell (? can't remember exactly) on his attempt, Voronov did a triple-triple and Boyang did 4Lz but with messy landing. Patrick landed his 4T. They then had the other skaters 'vote' for the winner of the quad battle by lining up behind them and Patrick and Boyang had the same score, so they 'won'. It's a pretty organized quad battle, haha.

... Yea, it was 'official' in that it was not spontaneously organized by the skaters themselves and there was an award for the winner. It's still just a fun thing and I think skaters in general like to show off anyway and this gives them a chance to do it without seeming 'cocky'. Not everyone is like Yuzuru who is just unabashed about it and will do it without being 'asked' to. :laugh:

Finally watched the finale with the quad battle :popcorn:.
Thx to Antyv for the video and to Raomina for the explanations.

Interesting that Audi officially sponsored the quad battle (if I understood the announcer correctly).

I always like camaraderie, and I thought it was sweet that when it was time to vote, a few skaters originally lined up to support even Max and Han :ghug:, the two who had fared least well in the battle.
(Not that it matters, but Max did not fall. He popped, but did not fall.)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Finally watched the finale with the quad battle :popcorn:.
Thx to Antyv for the video and to Raomina for the explanations.

Interesting that Audi officially sponsored the quad battle (if I understood the announcer correctly).

I always like camaraderie, and I thought it was sweet that when it was time to vote, a few skaters originally lined up to support even Max and Han :ghug:, the two who had fared least well in the battle.
(Not that it matters, but Max did not fall. He popped, but did not fall.)

Having watched this "competition", I'm taking back my deduction of quality vs dd judgement by skaters. Boyang definitely got the home ice advantage here as China's large contingent of skaters lined up behind him while Patrick was supported by the foreigners. Even Han released his votes to get behind Boyang, abandoning his beloved Patrick. :laugh: Well patriotism trumps friendship, especially for another great buddy :)

All in all, a good natured and fun contest. Now, shouldn't Audi be awarding the winner a car rather than a trophy?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
max wins the quad battle any day... he doesn't even need to jump for that... just turn around and exhibit his assets
:laugh:

Now we know how he lost the quad battle. He could have challenged the rest for highest GOE with a Loin King Belly Flop.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Having watched this "competition", I'm taking back my deduction of quality vs dd judgement by skaters. Boyang definitely got the home ice advantage here as China's large contingent of skaters lined up behind him while Patrick was supported by the foreigners. Even Han released his votes to get behind Boyang, abandoning his beloved Patrick. :laugh: Well patriotism trumps friendship, especially for another great buddy :)

All in all, a good natured and fun contest. Now, shouldn't Audi be awarding the winner a car rather than a trophy?

hanee!!! i expected better from you!!! you can't go around and say "i love you" to Patrick and betray him at the first occasion ;)