2016 NHK Trophy Short Dance | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2016 NHK Trophy Short Dance

alain06fr

On the Ice
just watched top 6, more detailed comments will follow, but general thought is how many people are spitting their venoms towards Tessa and Scott not giving any logical argument, just calling them (....................................) for Scott' comments..

Honestly, I am quite fed up to see such “statements” (which I preferred to hide) showing up from time to time on this forum… Especially when such stupid comments are not even – AFAIK – coming from GS! What's the point? Putting the spotlight on such silly things? Promoting their authors? And so what? Are they on this forum? If so, instead of broadcasting them, better alert the moderator as such insults are intolerable and must be simply removed ASAP.
FYI, I read “comments” denigrating P/C last year after they performed their FD for the very first time at the French Championships but the best was to simply ignore them instead of falling into that trap.

The truth is that most of P/C fans are also V/M fans. By fans, I am talking about real fans, ice dance lovers of course. How could it be otherwise? As I already wrote, V/M and P/C are top competitors, fantastic skaters and dancers. Each “battle” between V/M and P/C is somehow a gift, so exciting, pushing both couples to reach perfection. I mentioned V/M and P/C but the same applies to other highly talented couples (S/S, C/B, etc). From that point of view, the GPF in Marseille should be tremendous to watch.

This being said and to avoid any misunderstanding, please note this post is nothing personal against you. I actually enjoy reading your comments. I am a P/C fan and .... a V/M fan! Well, it’s a bit special as I went to Montréal to see them working on their programs and I had the chance to discuss several times with Guillaume’s parents during various competitions (Bratislava, Paris, Boston, …). BTW, the last time I went to Montréal, I was lucky enough to see V/M rehearsing their FD. That was a great moment. The funny thing is that Gaby and Guillaume interrupted their training to watch V/M performing their FD. That was amazing I must say. One thing I can tell you and all fans on this forum is that P/C have great respect for V/M and I am 100% sure V/M have great respect for P/C. It’s not that surprising considering both couples have in common this ability to think outside the box. Furthermore, Tessa, Scott, Gaby and Guillaume are friends outside the rink. From time to time, you come up with some criticisms about P/C programs and I must say it’s quite refreshing for me to read them. Being able to break the mold is always worth…

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Honestly, I am quite fed up to see such “statements” (which I preferred to hide) showing up from time to time on this forum… Especially when such stupid comments are not even – AFAIK – coming from GS! What's the point? Putting the spotlight on such silly things? Promoting their authors? And so what? Are they on this forum? If so, instead of broadcasting them, better alert the moderator as such insults are intolerable and must be simply removed ASAP.
FYI, I read “comments” denigrating P/C’s last year after they performed their FD for the very first time at the French Championships but the best was to simply ignore them instead of falling into that trap.

The truth is that most of P/C fans are also V/M fans. By fans, I am talking about real fans, ice dance lovers of course. How could it be otherwise? As I already wrote, V/M and P/C are top competitors, fantastic skaters and dancers. Each “battle” between V/M and P/C is a somehow a gift, so exciting, pushing both couples to reach perfection. I mentioned V/M and P/C but the same applies to other highly talented couples (S/S, C/B, etc). From that point of view, the GPF in Marseille should be tremendous to watch.

This being said and to avoid any misunderstanding, please note this post is nothing personal against you. I actually enjoy reading your comments. I am a P/C fan and .... a V/M fan! Well, it’s a bit special as I went to Montréal to see them working on their programs and I had the chance to discuss several times with Guillaume’s parents during various competitions (Bratislava, Paris, Boston, …). BTW, the last time I went to Montréal, I was lucky enough to see V/M rehearsing their FD. That was a great moment. The funny thing is that Gaby and Guillaume interrupted their training to watch V/M performing their FD. That was amazing I must say. One thing I can tell you and all fans on this forum is that PC have great respect for V/M and I am 100% sure V/M have great respect for P/C. It’s not that surprising thinking both couples have in common this ability to think outside the box. Furthermore, Tessa, Scott, Gaby and Guillaume are friends outside the rink. From time to time, you come up with some criticisms about P/C programs and I must say it’s quite refreshing for me to read them. Being able to break the mold is always worth…

my concern in writing such 'statement' post as you've labelled it was only to address my point of view of an ISSUE, not comments themselves posted under videos of programs. The comments quoted/similar to them have been appearing from quite a long time with various intensity and range about different teams, Canadian and US in particular, usually stressing how weak/bad some team is comparing them to Gabriella and Guillaume. Now, Canadians are winning SD in direct competition and some people lost it totally - I've actually 'hidden' (as you prefer to do as above) my views on these situations, but I decided to post more of a 'general' thought about the whole issue about bashing/calling names/criticizing teams without any logical argument to present my point of seeing all differeces between teams and appreciate them, using them also as a platform for constructive discussion about viewers' preferences and tastes. Virtue/Moir vs Papadakis/Cizeron SD showdown, then results and opinions/comments is used as an example here as the most 'current' one.

I believe that if some bad practice is done repeatedly or is worsening and it bothers me, I want to speak up my concern, wishing in this particular case that all people commenting would see and appreciate diversity represented by all teams, differences between their styles, movement, experience, background, tech and performance abilities and then just accept if their favourite team has not won this time without being just plain rude and disrespectful. I'm really grateful for being a part of GS forum when the discussion can be led on a good, high level, with lots of knowledge and interesting personal imput.

Big Deal

Final Flight
Virtue/Moir saved Ice Dancing putting a very boring era to its end with their new revolutionair style from 2007.
Papadakis/Cizeron saved Ice Dancing in a period where it got again boring and "same-things-doing" with their revolutionair style.

So, it is obvious that I am a fan of both teams.

I was surprised to realize how big difference these 2 teams have watching them after next to each other. Simply the better team got the most of points. It is not always happening, but this time V/M literally put P/C on their shadow. They looked juniorish compair to V/M, and it is not about their age.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
What annoys me is how there is virtually no difference in PCS. V/M have the much better dance (although they still need to improve the ending, it's rather pedestrian) but the scores don't reflect it. Their sizable lead is just because of tech calls.

deedee1

Record Breaker
When it comes to ice dance, I'm a complete amteur/casual fan. All I can say is Tessa ROCKS!!! :rock: To me, she's left eveyone else, including Scott ;), in the dust with this dance to Prince music. She can dance to anything, can she?! Amaaaginggg! :luv17:

I saw some commments on the French team in NHK Dance threads saying Gabriella is the weaker of the two re skating, dancing, body lines, etc.. I could say a similar thing I thought; Scott looks a bit weaker than Tessa here, esp dance and body lines. But again it is to my amateur eyes, sorry in advance if I sound offeding/annoying to some of you guys. I wanted to say is Tessa was just that good in SD! :cool:

Last edited:

robredo40

On the Ice
Tessa is looking better than ever , as good as before her first leg operation a bad omen for the competition.

nocturnalis

Medalist
I love how people are bringing Scott and Gabriella down in order to prop Guillaume, who was the one who made the costly errors in the free skate.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Can any dance lover knowledgeable of all dance rules explain to me how come V/M get the new WR? They are the clear winner in the both segments for sure and I'm happy for them but I'm somewhat surprised by the judging because well a lot of people predicted that P/C are set for OGM in Korea, so V/M will end up the same fate that Torvill and Dean suffered because judges always love new champions instead of double OGM except certain nationals. We never know how the result would be if P/C had performed like they did at TdF though.

Someone earlier said the overall BV has been raised like 3 points to all dancers if they go clean in their SP, but when a program sets a new WR, I think it has to be flawless, or at least seemingly. I thought they should've made a new SP WR at Sochi, but well....Anyway, the protocol puzzled me and they got level 4 and GOE with mostly 2 across the board on their twizzles although they executed them very slowly and Scott messed a bit on the last set of the twizzles. Moreover, Tessa stumbled before they did the lift although the mistake is no relation to required element, but their PE and IN scores don't seem to suffer.

I prefer V/M's SD to P/C's and V/M made a great progress on their both routines since Skate Canada, but the WR came too soon in my opinion. Is the WR that has more something to do with the changed rule from the season?

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Can any dance lover knowledgeable of all dance rules explain to me how come V/M get the new WR? They are the clear winner in the both segments for sure and I'm happy for them but I'm somewhat surprised by the judging because well a lot of people predicted that P/C are set for OGM in Korea, so V/M will end up the same fate that Torvill and Dean suffered because judges always love new champions instead of double OGM except certain nationals. We never know how the result would be if P/C had performed like they did at TdF though.

Someone earlier said the overall BV has been raised like 3 points to all dancers if they go clean in their SP, but when a program sets a new WR, I think it has to be flawless, or at least seemingly. I thought they should've made a new SP WR at Sochi, but well....Anyway, the protocol puzzled me and they got level 4 and GOE with mostly 2 across the board on their twizzles although they executed them very slowly and Scott messed a bit on the last set of the twizzles. Moreover, Tessa stumbled before they did the lift although the mistake is no relation to required element, but their PE and IN scores don't seem to suffer.

I can tell you what I read from others: Everyone PBs should be going up by at least 2 points because of the change to one of the elements (no touch I think) In fact if your score isn't up by at least 2 points from last year by the end of the year it could be said you are actually going backwards. If you took the 2 points off V/M score (2 to 3 points that couldn't have been earned last year) they would not have the WR. It's like if they added an element in the singles or pairs. Everyone's PB should be higher by the end of the year not because they were better but simply because there are more marks on the board.

I think last year the max tes mark was 40 and this year it's definitely 43. So if you do everything at level four this year you can early 43 this year where as last year you could only have gotten 40.

GOE's often don't make any sense to me so I can't help you there.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation, ancientpeas. The showdown at NHK was a bit less spectacular, so I hope their rivalries fuel the competitive fire to the both teams at GPF and Worlds. :)

Last edited:

rvi5

On the Ice
World records are practically meaningless in figure skating. It is an attempt to compare scores from different competitions and time periods, which we know can not be done properly. To be of value, the measurement scale must remain a constant eg. distance and/or time for some sports. Figure skating has too many fluctuating variables. In this sport, world records only seem to exist for stroking people's egos. Hopefully the skaters don't allow themselves to be deceived by it, or they could be headed for failure.

ETA: According to the recent GS article, it does not appear Scott Moir has been sucked in by that WR.

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Thanks for the explanation, ancientpeas. The showdown at NHK was a bit less spectacular, so I hope their rivalries fuel the competitive fire to the both teams at GPF and Worlds. :)

Dear Crossover, big congrats for 4.000 posts!:hb::cheer:

and let me just say - I freaking LOVE your new avatar:love:!

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Dear Crossover, big congrats for 4.000 posts!:hb::cheer:

and let me just say - I freaking LOVE your new avatar:love:!

Thanks for the kindness. I'm so touched by your words. :) The avatar is my wish for their success this season. Their FD is so lovely to watch over and over.