Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb | Page 25 | Golden Skate

Winter Universiade 2017, 31 Jan - 5 Feb

tureis

On the Ice
Congrats to Denis for keeping it together relatively well considering the circumstances. I mean, the crowd was still chanting "Kazakhstan! Kazakhstan!" after his music started. :shocked: But even so, one quad and one combination in his FS? OK, the popped 3A would have been a combo, but still. His BV here was just 70! He's not going to be competitive for a medal at worlds, and maybe not even top 6. Come on Denis, you have so much more in you than having to fight for the last group!

berry8

Final Flight
Carolina is a special talent, so she managed to become a top skater despite the lack of funding and adequate coaching in Italy. To be popular I'm afraid you need to be successful and I don't think any of our current junior or senior ladies are going to be medal contenders in big competitions. I feel like Italian skating missed a huge opportunity, not fully using Carolina's decent popularity to increase the interest and involvement in the sport. Look at the impact Yuna has made on Korean figure skating: From basically non existent to a soon-to-be powerhouse in singles! In Italy I feel like nothing has really changed for now, and certainly that's not Carolina's fault. Maybe once she retires she can coach the future stars of Italian figure skating (being VERY optimistic here :big grin:)

Sarama, your English is outstanding:D

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Congrats to Denis for keeping it together relatively well considering the circumstances. I mean, the crowd was still chanting "Kazakhstan! Kazakhstan!" after his music started. :shocked: But even so, one quad and one combination in his FS? OK, the popped 3A would have been a combo, but still. His BV here was just 70! He's not going to be competitive for a medal at worlds, and maybe not even top 6. Come on Denis, you have so much more in you than having to fight for the last group!

Ok , I will go and add even more to this. What are his programs ?!

For the first 1,5 min of FS THERE WAS NOTHING, it was just setup-jump-setup-jump and so on, and there wasn't much more than this in this program, the same goes for short.

He has great posture, but 89 pcs for this was massive overscore.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Do they have any gala here? It would be nice to see Majorov's gala program.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Watched mens on delay. What a great event for the guys with that awesome athmosphere, a lot in the audience never watched figure skating before I guess. Must be so much fun for all participants of all sports being here. Most of them not having a chance to be at ‘real’ olympics, but making carriers for themselves in other areas.

A lot of falls and pops for sure, but on a whole the skaters gave back to the audience. Good for Denis and Kazahkish figure skating.

Congrats to the medalists and the hats!

So happy for Majorov. Real happiness in k&c together with his mother. Envisioning his father shedding a tear at home and brother Nikolaj and the dog roaring.

On a little note: When did Abzal become this good? I remember him from Göteborg 2008. He barely reached the final where he skated from one side to the other and jumped. He’s had the 3-axel for a while, but not skating good otherwise in my opinion. Here much better than I remember him. And how disturbing with that ‘plush’ lying exactly in his track. He even touched it once with his skate. I thought he had quit competing. Morozov was his coach for a while in Hackensack where Abzal is training and also giving skating lessons I think. Pity Kazakhstan has only one spot at worlds. Abzal can have hopes for olympics though :)

Grishin is hilarious, another one of our skaters, for Sweden ...

Well, funny, but a bit over the top to claim Sasha as a Russian skater. I think kudos goes to Luleå konståkningsklubb who hired his parents when they had a hard time living in Russia when Alexander was a year old. Russia has payed nothing for Sasha’s skating. Alexander senior and Irina have done a lot for him, the club and Swedish figure skating. I guess Alexander feels Swedish with a Russian heritage.

Love watching Morozov:laugh2:

...and he looks so young... OK I don’t know how old he is, but it seems lie he’s been there hopping behind the board forever….

Last edited:

tureis

On the Ice
Ok , I will go and add even more to this. What are his programs ?!

For the first 1,5 min of FS THERE WAS NOTHING, it was just setup-jump-setup-jump and so on, and there wasn't much more than this in this program, the same goes for short.

He has great posture, but 89 pcs for this was massive overscore.

Yes, that is very true. I was hoping the lack of transitions at TDF was a temporary thing due to Denis coming back from injury, but they don't seem to have added anything since November... :eek:hwell:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I read some comments from Dmitriev and he said that it was hard to skate because of the elevation in Almaty. I hadn't thought about that, but it would explain why so many of the men looked completely exhausted. And maybe some of the ladies were affected too.

Weathergal

Medalist
Thanks to everyone who provided running commentary during Winter Universiade! Because of the time zones and my work schedule, I could only watch the last 10 skaters of the Men's FS live, but reading this thread when I couldn't watch helped me feel more connected to the competition.

I liked the competition two years ago when it was in Granada, Spain, and I enjoyed what I was able to see this year. Wow, I agree with those who said it looks like a very impressive facility they hosted figure skating in, and the crowd really was amazing. It was so wonderful to see a huge, packed arena filled with people who were really enjoying themselves. I was disappointed when Almaty wasn't selected as the host city for the 2022 Olympics. I hope they keep trying because I think it would really be a great venue.

Weathergal

Medalist
I read some comments from Dmitriev and he said that it was hard to skate because of the elevation in Almaty. I hadn't thought about that, but it would explain why so many of the men looked completely exhausted. And maybe some of the ladies were affected too.

I was wondering about this also so after reading your post, I looked up some elevations:

Almaty, Kazakhstan - 847 m (2779 ft).
St. Petersburg, Russia - 175.9 m (577 ft.) (highest point; much of it is at sea level) (where Dmitriev Jr. and Shulepov train)
Moscow, Russia - 156 m (512 ft.)

So perhaps enough to make a difference.

Either way, the first half of Dmitriev's program was really impressive. I think it's the best I've ever seen him skate.

The real joy of the skaters I was able to watch though was Majorov! That was definitely the best I've seen him skate! I really enjoyed his program. It was wonderful to see him do so well; I know he's struggled the past few years.

I'm going to try to find some links or replays of some of the performances I missed.

turquoiseblue

Final Flight
Grishin is hilarious, another one of our skaters, for Sweden ...
Well, funny, but a bit over the top to claim Sasha as a Russian skater. I think kudos goes to Luleå konståkningsklubb who hired his parents when they had a hard time living in Russia when Alexander was a year old. Russia has payed nothing for Sasha’s skating. Alexander senior and Irina have done a lot for him, the club and Swedish figure skating. I guess Alexander feels Swedish with a Russian heritage.

Sasha considered himself to be Swedish and a proud Norrbottner:

In one of his blog entries on Osbloggen, Alexander wrote about his identity. People constantly ask him who and how he feels; Russian or Swedish?

He wrote that the answer was clear to him. "You are a human being – no matter where you were born. In my opinion where you live or have lived your whole life makes you what you are, in my case it’s Sweden. I am Swedish and a proud Norrbottner (In Sweden people from the North are called a Norrbottner). Obviously, I also like Russia; their style of life, the incredible culture and the personalities. But Sweden has been my home my entire life."

Alexander also shared an interesting story: "About a month ago I got a pretty funny question, someone asked if I knew how to speak Swedish… At times one has to answer funny. I speak Swedish, Russian, English and German for those who wonder 🙂 "

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Well, funny, but a bit over the top to claim Sasha as a Russian skater.

He doesn't claim him as theirs precisely, I guess it's easier when you listen to them constantly in context. He followed with where he was born and then he's Swedish, etc etc, proper info, but they often mention when someone is of Russian origin, fun info for the viewers basically, and that's what he means by 'ours'. I've also heard them use our skater for people who train there, so it's really no disrespect meant and more of a relaxed comment. It really shouldn't be taken seriously and I at least don't, as he's hardly the only person I've heard use this relaxed form if the real info is given. YMMV of course :confused2:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Oh, please don't bring meldonium into the conversation! :rolleye:

The difference between Caro and Liza is the amount of competition they have from home for the international slots.

Back in 2010, Carolina only really had Valetina Marchei as competition. Francesca Rio wasn't quite up to their level, but was a safe number 3 in the team.

Now, I don't think Caro has any competition. Even with Kostner being out of action for a long period of time, Rodegheiro and Russo still aren't quite up to her level.

Liza has about a dozen other girls as competition for the Russian slots. And they are all at a level where they can be safely in the Top 5 at Worlds (if not better).

Liza is younger than Caro was, so in that respect there is plenty of time for her to get her form back. BUT, she does not have the breathing space that Caro has. If she does not get her form back soon, the powers that be will not even look at her as a candidate.

It's not fair on Liza, but that's the way it is in the cut-throad world of Russian Ladies skating.

CaroLiza_fan
ugh I had multiple facepalms just reading that post that you reply to:palmf:
like some 'smart' ppl forget how Liza had success before 14-15
Like she's some 1 hit wonder :bang:

Heleng

Medalist
Country
United-States
Just watched some of the men's. Great to see Alexander Marjorov and Ryuju Hino (who I think should have placed higher) skate so well in both their short and long programs, and delighted for Alexander's podium finish!

Celine

On the Ice
And Congratulations to Denis Ten, for competing so well while undoubtedly also having to serve as an ambassador for the sport and event while it was hosted in his home country. (Cannot understate the media obligations and pressure in such situations). Almaty was not successful with their 2022 Winter Olympics bid but more successful events will help the city/country's stature grow as a potential host for major events in the future.