Gilmore Girls Fans? | Golden Skate

Gilmore Girls Fans?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So are there any Gilmore Girls fans on GS? I had a hard time balancing this past weekend watching NHK videos and the revival on Netflix but managed to do both.

SPOILER WARNING:

What did you think of the ending?

What I liked

Lorelai and Luke finally tied the knot, although it was a bit of an afterthought.
Emily broke out of the dutiful wife role and found her voice after losing Richard
Jess was the one to set Rory straight and get her to write about her and her mom

What I didn't like

Not sure about Rory's pregnancy (assuming Logan is the daddy) - although far from a teenager, she's following in her mom's footsteps as a single mother

Do you want to see more episodes or did you think this was enough?

I could do with more, to see if Rory ends up like Lorelai and if Jess is her Luke, while Logan is Chris

Were there any characters in the revival you would've liked to see more of? Less of?
More Paris, she kind of disappeared after a while and sad that she and Doyle were divorcing (nice nod to Danny Strong's screenwriting career)
More Lane - mixing parenthood with music
Sookie - I get that MM was not available to do more but Lorelai without her BFF seemed off

Overall I enjoyed the episodes even when there was filler (the musical, the standing in line bit) and hope Lauren Graham and Kelly Bishop get Emmy nominations.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't seen any of the new episodes yet so I'm ignoring the OP but I'm watching GG right now on TV. I love it and my avatar at FSU is "Oy With The Poodles Already".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm actually watching it seriously for the first time. I'm on the first season, so it will be a while before I get to the Netflix revival. I'm enjoying it so far -- this show and One Tree Hill really remind me of my high school/college days so I should be getting a lot of nostalgia.

My husband has seen parts while I'm watching and laughs at Lorelai Gilmore'a jokes. I guess I'll check back when I finally watch Day in the Life. So see you a year from now, lol.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I edited the first post with white letters for the spoiler averse. Hope you get to watch the revival eventually, Sam-Skwantch and Mrs. P. It was definitely an enjoyable sequel if you liked the writing from the first few seasons.

ETA: there are even a few figure skating references in it, I seem to remember Lorelai talking about Michelle Kwan, and Randy & Tai, separately. Lorelai even skates in one episode.

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I was a big fan of the series, but not going to watch the revival any time soon because I want to cherish good memories about the characters and fairy-tale-like stories. I read some grumble at how the characters get changed in the revival.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In season two right now....looks like I'm heading for a Jess v. Dean battle regarding Rory's loyalty.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was a big fan of the series, but not going to watch the revival any time soon because I want to cherish good memories about the characters and fairy-tale-like stories. I read some grumble at how the characters get changed in the revival.

I would still recommend watching it - there were some disappointing things in it, but there were awesome parts as well.

kptnciam

Rinkside
I watched the whole thing (the old ones and the revival) this fall and I liked it quite a bit. I mean, it's not a super show and I won't compare it to the great ones, but it's nice and fun (I really laughed a lot) and entertaining. Regarding the plot lines in the revival, they were more or less okay (you could have guessed they would go that way) and I missed Sookie so much, but I really enjoyed the musical references. Did I want to see something more of someone? Yes, more Jess. :luv17:

stella luna

Final Flight
Then you should watch This is Us. Especially the first episode. :p

I watched the whole thing (the old ones and the revival) this fall and I liked it quite a bit. I mean, it's not a super show and I won't compare it to the great ones, but it's nice and fun (I really laughed a lot) and entertaining. Regarding the plot lines in the revival, they were more or less okay (you could have guessed they would go that way) and I missed Sookie so much, but I really enjoyed the musical references. Did I want to see something more of someone? Yes, more Jess. :luv17:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now squarely in season 4 and enjoying a break from Rory's love triangles/dramas. I had read a criticism that GG focused too much on the love lines when there were some really good storylines that could have been developed far more, such as Rory's career aspirations.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now squarely in season 4 and enjoying a break from Rory's love triangles/dramas. I had read a criticism that GG focused too much on the love lines when there were some really good storylines that could have been developed far more, such as Rory's career aspirations.

Season 4 is my favorite, although I always have a soft spot for the first season :) Interested to get your take once you make it through all 7 original seasons and then see the reboot.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I just saw that episode! Like yesterday. I am in season 5 now.

So I'm really disappointed in Rory and her lack of judgment regarding Dean. I guess it's called being human, but seriously -- she had him and then she dumped him for Jess and then ends up breaking a marriage to get back with him. I know the storyline is to push the fact that they were meant to be together blah blah blah ---and to be clear Dean is JUST as much to blame in all this -- but justifying infidelity rubs me the wrong way. I also don't like that Lindsey was painted as sort of a terrible person, i.e. preventing Dean from going to college; having him work hard so they could buy a townhouse/car, etc. I think they tried to make up for it at the end, but it was too little too late to me.

Maybe I'm being harsh and I understand she's being your typical 19 year old, but still...

On a more positive take -- I love the character development with Kirk. He started out as this "annoying neighbor" but the writers really gave him multiple dimensions while maintain the quirkiness that gives us all a laugh. I just love that he has his hand in everything in Stars Hollow.

Last edited: