Fans of Gymnastics | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Fans of Gymnastics

padme21

On the Ice
I felt horrible for David, falling on the HB when he could have won it easily. I'm quite happy with the medalists, but missed Uchimura terribly.

Poor David he all but had it in the bag. This has to be my least favorite worlds. With no Kohei it just felt empty without him and I feel like it affected some of the other men like Oleg.

yude

Record Breaker
I'm all behind the news, what happened to Oleg? Is there any information? I hope he doesn't have injury.

I'm missing Kohei Uchimura, but big congrats to Kenzo Shirai :clap: It's great achievement even though he said in the interview, "If Kohei-san was in the competition, I would have been in the 4th place." I really admire their "senpai- kohai" relationship, it always warms my heart :sad21:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm watching the FIG channel's stream from the Finals and Kenzo's floor exercise was :hap10: :yes2:.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I'm watching the FIG channel's stream from the Finals and Kenzo's floor exercise was :hap10: :yes2:.

Oh, lovely! I forgot to set the HD recorder for the BBC live showing during the night, and was planning on watching the recap this afternoon, but this is even better!

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Oh, lovely! I forgot to set the HD recorder for the BBC live showing during the night, and was planning on watching the recap this afternoon, but this is even better!

Yep, the FIG channel has been amazing. That's how I followed the Rhythmic Gymnastics Worlds.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Because enough craziness and bad thing haven't already happened, Ragan Smith (USA) just hurt her ankle during warmups for the WAG AA final and is now out.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
WORLD CHAMPION MORGAN HURD

OH. MY. GOD. YAY.

I am so so so happy for Morgi.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
WORLD CHAMPION MORGAN HURD

OH. MY. GOD. YAY.

I am so so so happy for Morgi.

She's so cute! Congrats Morgan! :cheer:

But whoa that was tight. She won with a 0.100 difference from Ellie Black! Mai Murakami was off podium by also 0.100. And everyone was worse than at Qualifications. Tiredness settled in.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I missed Kenzo, sadly, but I'll rewind the stream once it's over.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Back from Montreal! I worked for several Russian & Spanish media while at Worlds.

Overall the event was garbage: I think there were 18 injuries that lead to withdrawals, the organization was awful, transportation was non-existent, volunteers were not trained, health risks to the athletes ranging from the dangerous lighting situation, broken equipment problems, lack of podium training, to the failure of the LOC to provide food and water to the gymnasts during training and the competition. Absolutely disgusting that they were more concerned with making money off the athletes than taking care of them. It isn't a big deal to the bigger federations, but the smaller countries absolutely cannot afford to pay for these things that are expected. I high key hope the FIG never awards any competition to Canada again. Such an atrociously run event.

Onto the actual gymnastics:

Was happy for the WAG AA podium; 2-4 all had mistakes that prevented them from winning, but Morgan was the cleanest overall. I was surprised that Ellie didn't win after that massively overscored beam--but her silver was well-deserved. Men's AA was meh without Kohei and David's fall, but I was happy for Kenzo.

In WAG EFs, I was happiest with Eremina (the MOST ADORABLE gymnast alive) and Steingruber who's just back after dealing with her sister's death. I was shocked that Paseka won vault because she had such a terrible year and her spine might actually just be putty. It's hilarious to realize that she's actually one of the most decorated vaulters of all-time when she does them like this... eek. Great smile though, she's charismatic and gorgeous. I also like her personality a lot even though she might be in some illegal racing street gang back in Moscow as per her Instagram lives stories. :drama: Oh! And the Longines prize winner, Brooklyn Moors! Her floor is beautiful and her Podkopayeva is AMAZING! The first one since LilyPod herself over 20 years ago! Seems like tumbling is in the Moors family for sure (here's her older sister landing the most difficult skill a woman has ever done... named after her).

In MAG EFs, I was happy Belyavskiy redeemed himself and won some medals. Was thrilled that Petrounias won his billionth major title in a row on rings. Igor was robbed on vault... should've won over Kenzo or at least tied for gold. High bar was the most fun event! Miyachi caught his laid out Bretschneider!... and then fell on the tucked version, lol. Epke caught his Cassina+Kovacs combination with one hand which is actually illegal and a huge deduction, but the judges didn't care and I didn't either to be honest--it was amazing! I was rooting for Braegger as he's incredible on high bar but mostly because I have the hots for him. He was messy in all the finals he made so he better clean his ish up... if he pulls a Mikulak on me for his entire career, I will murder him.

All in all, a memorable event but mostly for all the wrong reasons. We thought Sydney was bad, but then Athens one upped them. And now Montreal is the pinnacle for how NOT to run a gymnastics meet.

In the wise words of Stan's mom from South Park: "Blame Canada!" :dbana:

macy

Record Breaker
Simone Biles is officially back in the gym.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/10/12/simone-biles-gymnastics-comeback/

how do you think her comeback will go? will she be able to regain her top form or will it be difficult for her? will she continue where she left off and keep winning everything?

her longtime coach Aimee Boorman also moved to Florida and is in search of another coach. Will this affect how successful she will be in the next couple years?

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
Simone Biles is officially back in the gym.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2017/10/12/simone-biles-gymnastics-comeback/

how do you think her comeback will go? will she be able to regain her top form or will it be difficult for her? will she continue where she left off and keep winning everything?

her longtime coach Aimee Boorman also moved to Florida and is in search of another coach. Will this affect how successful she will be in the next couple years?

Secret sources say that Simone will be coached by the Landis (Kocian's former coaches). They left WOGA after Rio and I guess WCC managed to snag 'em. I like this set up--they always seemed very relaxed and not as intense when they coached Madison. And Laurent is always some welcome eye candy on my screen. :love:

I think with a simple conditioning program and some repetitions, Simone will be back just like before.