Who is the most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympic Games? (Ladies) | Golden Skate

Who is the most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympic Games? (Ladies)

Who might be most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympics (Ladies)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mk06gold

Match Penalty
Who is the most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympic Games? (Ladies)

Who might be the most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympic Games for the ladies :)

In my opinion I think it would be michelle kwan! She is the best. Artistry and probably by 2006. Triple Triple combinations.

Germanice

On the Ice
Oooups, now that is embarrassing: I've voted for Kwan; wrong line of course, shouldn't do something like this early in the morning! :laugh: :D In fact I think Kwan won't even make the podium. And which triple/triple combinations did you mean?

I seriously believe three Japanese Ladies will make 1-2-3, in which order ever ...

Anke

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
Anke....finally we've converted you! HAHAHA! Though it was tough, I can now see all of my (and Mathman's) efforts have not been in vain. LOL. Seriously though, I think this one is too tough to call. I think the 2004-2005 season will tell us so much more. Will Michelle come back with more choreography and a 3/3? Will Shizuka be able to maintain and even improve upon her World title winning form? Will Sasha put some fire into her performances and stay on her feet? Will some nameless teen queen decimate the competition with a once-in-a-lifetime 3/3 fest? Who knows! I think Anke is right about one thing though....the Japanese women should be strong contenders for medals. After all, they have Arakawa, Suguri, Ando, Ota and probably others that I can't even remember right now. I believe this will be one of the most tightly contested, exciting Olympic events in years (and not just the ladies, but for all of the other disciplines as well).

Germanice

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
Anke....finally we've converted you! HAHAHA! Though it was tough, I can now see all of my (and Mathman's) efforts have not been in vain. LOL. .....
Glee is a wonderful thing from time to time, don't you think? ;) ;) :laugh:

Anke

pipsqueak

Rinkside
nameless teen

I'm with "Bronze". I think some nameless teen will come in armed with a couple of 3/3's and skate the program of her life, then go away to finish 8th grade or start a singing career or design cute little T-shirt tops for "Fashion Bug" or KMart.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I'm thinking that Kimmie Meisner or Katy Taylor might make it to the Olympic podium by 2006. I doubt if either Kwan or Arakawa will be a factor. Ota or Ando or another Japanese girl for sure. I'm placing my bet now, tho, on Sasha for the Gold.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
So many options to put and you only put the top 3 of Worlds :confused:

I have no idea who will win this one. It's too close between a bunch of skaters. There is Shizuka, the reigning World champion who has no problem landing 3/3 and is improving well in the rest of her skating, Sasha Cohen who if clean IMO is almost unbeatable (and she will skate one day that clean program), there's Miki Ando who's improving SO much, Carolina Kostner, Irina Slutskaya we will see, Michelle Kwan is always a factor...

I just don't see why so many people are expecting an unknown name to win. It seems they forget that Tara Lipinski was a National Champion and reigning World Champion entering the Olympics, that Sarah Hughes had beaten Michelle and irina before and was a Worlds bronze medallist and that Oksana Baiul was the reigning World Champion going to the Olympics and had already won medals at Euros. IMO it's silly to expect someone they can't even name to win Olympics LOL Like judges award Olympic medals to skaters they never heard of before. Unless they have a minimum of experience skating internationally they don't give Olympic titles that way LOL

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
BronzeisGolden said:
Will some nameless teen queen decimate the competition with a once-in-a-lifetime 3/3 fest?
What's a 3/3 fest? I don't think you noticed how many 3/3s were landed in Dortmund. Even Idora Hegel and Anna-Sophie Calvez who finished out of the top 10 landed triple-triple combinations. After the SP, half the ladies in the top 6 landed a clean 3/3. In the SP!

You don't win a competition now by having 3/3s. You win a major competition if you are already a very good skater who happens to have 3/3s in their arsenal.

ice_princess

Rinkside
I think it will be Sasha or some upcoming skater from Japan or America. Lots of Japanese women are working on the 3axel/quads so they will probably be a threat to other skaters. Or maybe there will be someone from Europe. It's so hard to tell right now!

soogar

Record Breaker
I see Sasha winning it in 2006. I think she's slowly building to the podium which is how Katarina Witt and other gold medalists have done.

I'm not sure how the Japanese ladies will factor. I do think people are kind of premature in cutting Fumie out. One thing that impresses me about Fumie is that she's losing some of her consistency in her jumps b/c she's developing a new jumping technique which is allowing her to get more height on the jumps. I like the fact that she's doing this a few years before the Olympics verses waiting until 2005 to do so (she talked about this in depth in a skating magazine , I think Spotlight on Ice). I think Fumie is going to be a factor in the games. She will definitely be the dark horse and in terms of pressure, she won't have as many eyes looking at her as Arakawa, Ando and Cohen. We all know how the pressure got to Midori Ito.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
What's a 3/3 fest? I don't think you noticed how many 3/3s were landed in Dortmund. Even Idora Hegel and Anna-Sophie Calvez who finished out of the top 10 landed triple-triple combinations

Well, I would imagine a 3/3 fest would be a situation in which many 3/3s were landed. It was actually just a light comment meant to be humorous! But, seeing that the last two Olympic champions have won their titles based largely upon their successful completion of 3/3 combinations I can't imagine the trend will change all that much. Also, in no place in my post did I ever say that 3/3s alone win titles. Could Lipinski and Hughes have won their Olympic titles without them? No, thus they were and are extremely vital. Arakawa would not be World Champion without her 3/3s, etc. I'm not saying that is all there is, but it is certainly a huge part of the package now. As for the "nameless" teen comment...also meant to be humorous, but again I was referring to the fact that absolutely no one I know would have singled out Lipinski or Hughes as favorites one and a half years before (Summer of 1996 for Lipinski, summer of 2000 for Hughes) their respective Olympic experiences. That doesn't mean they weren't known....but they weren't the main names being tossed about in pre-Olympic discussions (occuring 1 1/2 years beforehand) such as this one. LOL, goodness, I'll certainly try to be more thorough next time!

Vash01

Medalist
I really think Sasha has the inside track on this one. All she needs is a 3-3 combo and a clean performance and she will win the gold. If Michelle had the same, who will the judges go for? I think they will go for Sasha's flexibility (not a big factor in my book) and innovative spins (big factor in my book). The COP favors Sasha. The judges have always ignored Sasha's flutzes and gave her credit for lutzes. Shizuka will need a big advantage over both MK and SC, like she did in worlds 2004 to win the gold. The teens are always lurking, but I think this will be the year the OGM will go to a mature lady (yes, Sasha will be that by 2006).

The dark horse could be Carolina Kostner, skating in her home country. That could sway the judges but she will have to skate clean to beat the top 3 ladies in the world (Shizuka, Sasha, Michelle) to win the OGM.

Vash

shine

Record Breaker
Gee, reading everybody's post has really made me realize how boring the ladies scene is now and will be for the coming 2 years....

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
Wow, I have a completely different opinion. I think that by reading everyone's posts we can see that no one has a clue of what's going to happen. I think what makes a competition exciting and not boring is precisely not knowing how the results will be LOL I think the ladies discipline became extremely interesting this last season, even with a pretty much unexpected World Champion... hope it will be the same next season and better if possible!

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I'm going out on a limb and say that if all things being equal, if Michelle is at the Olys, is in the top three going into the long, and all three ladies have clean skates, Michelle will get the gold..........(sentimental favorite maybe?)....42

Chrystia Mee

Rinkside
mk06gold said:
Who might be the most likely to win a gold medal at the 2006 Olympic Games for the ladies :)

In my opinion I think it would be michelle kwan! She is the best. Artistry and probably by 2006. Triple Triple combinations.

My heart goes to Michelle Kwan and would secretly give anything to see her win this title. Whether you're a fan of her or not, it is hard I think to say she doesn't deserve it after everything. However I don't think she will win. I think she will be on the podium though. If I could choose the podium I would place it 1. kwan, 2. Fumie, 3. Arakawa

However I'm not fortunate enough to be a judge lol. I don't see an American winning the gold medal in Turino sadly. I think it will be a Japanese woman. Probably Arakawa or Fumie (if she can start nailing those jumps, which I believe she can. She has two seasons to do so and her artistry is above those jumping beans. Based on last season I think the podium will be a japanese winner with two Americans in 2nd and 3rd.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
The Olympics has a way of turning the "chosen ones" into mush when it counts. It's a toss up really......whoever is left standing at the end of the performances and whoever the judges happen to like that night..............42

Vash01

Medalist
The last 2 Olympic golds went to two jumping beans. However, until then the judges really valued the artistry in ladies skating. I think they will go for a more balanced approach to skating this time.

figure8fan17

Rinkside
Who will win in 2006? (Ladies)

You never know, poeple; there could be some surprises. But out of the choices listed I say either Sasha Cohen or Shizuka Arakawa. I can't decide :) But I also think there are some other skaters who have a chance. What about ( mind you, most of these skaters are Juniors at the moment, so you have probably never heard of them or heard of them breifly.)
1 Miki Ando
2. Akiko Kitamura (Jr. at the moment)
3. Mai Asada (Jr)
4. Mao Asada
5. Danielle Kahle

Out of those choices ( notice that all of them except for #5 are Japanese skaters :) ) I say Miki Ando. But you never know. Akiko Kitamura or Mai or Mao Asada may have moved up to the senior level by then and just may or may not be making a name for themselves on the international scene. You never know; the Japanese may come to be one of the biggest powers in ladies figure skating! :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mao Asada is too young to compete as a Senior in the 2005-2006 season.