R.D.

Record Breaker
http://usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=26099

Invited Skaters

Ladies
Miki Ando (JPN) – 2004 World Championships, 4th; 2004 World Junior champion
Shizuka Arakawa (JPN) – 2004 World champion; two-time Japanese champion
Sasha Cohen (USA) – 2004 World silver medalist, three-time U.S. silver medalist
Amber Corwin (USA) – 2004 Four Continents bronze medalist; 2004 U.S. Championships, 4th
Jennifer Kirk (USA) – 2004 U.S. bronze medalist; 2002 Four Continents champion
Carolina Kostner (ITA) – 2004 World Championships, 5th; 2003 Italian champion
Michelle Kwan (USA) – Five-time World champion; eight-time U.S. champion
Irina Slutskaya (RUS) – 2002 World champion; 2002 Olympic silver medalist

MEN
Timothy Goebel (USA) – Two-time World silver medalist; 2002 Olympic bronze medalist
Takeshi Honda (JPN) – Two-time World bronze medalist; four-time Japanese champion
Brian Joubert (FRA) – 2004 World silver medalist; 2004 European champion
Evan Lysacek (USA) – 2004 World Junior silver medalist; 2004 Four Continents bronze medalist
Evgeny Plushenko (RUS) – Three-time World champion; 2002 Olympic silver medalist
Emanuel Sandhu (CAN) – 2004 ISU Grand Prix Final champion; three-time Canadian champion
Johnny Weir (USA) – 2004 U.S. champion; 2004 World Championships, 5th

*All skaters subject to change.

Interesting that they invited Kostner. I also think it's odd that they invited Slutskaya because I read on Irina's fan board that she has a show in Russia scheduled for the next day...I don't think it would be possible for her to do both shows, so I have a feeling she'll stick with the Russia show and drop Campbell's.

Linny

Final Flight
Commericial value

Odd that they invited Carolina? Not odd at all - the young lady has incredible commericial value. Campbell's wants as many viewers as possible to see their logo. Carolina looks like a real raised on chicken soup kinda young lady. Plus, many are keeping an eye on her, simply because the next Olys are in Italy.
Linny

KMK0902

On the Ice
Yay, E-man's invited!! I'm very happy for him. Could be the beginning of a great season.
One can always hope....

K

LBC

On the Ice
Red Dog said:
http://usfigureskating.org/event_story.asp?id=26099

Interesting that they invited Kostner. I also think it's odd that they invited Slutskaya because I read on Irina's fan board that she has a show in Russia scheduled for the next day...I don't think it would be possible for her to do both shows, so I have a feeling she'll stick with the Russia show and drop Campbell's.

Carolina finished 5th at Worlds. That gives them the top 5 from Worlds. Money wise Irina with GP money down and shorter touring she is going to do Campbell's to pay all those medical bills. Since both her and Evgeny are scheduled for the Russian show they might just reschedule the show.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I think it's more likely that they will try to do both events or withdraw from one. The Ice Symphony show is very important and tons of Russian skaters, pro and eligible and from all disciplines, will be there. It would be quite akward that they would change the date of the show because of some cheesefest in the US LOL Almost as unlikely IMO than to have Campbell's being rescheduled.

Last year they had trouble filling the slots of people who dropped out. Irina and Yags. So I guess this year they are overbooking. Maybe they will replace them with Griazev and Sokolova if the're not in the show. I would love it if they invited Stephane and Stephan.

It's a fun competition. There will be new costumes, new music, new program, and hopefully new tricks. If you want to predict go ahead but I'll wait till after the GPs, Nats and Euros. Predicting the Worlds is an art~ :laugh:

Joe

Littlewild1

Rinkside
Looks like a great roster! I hope they plan on inviting pairs skaters or dancers to do a program, like last year.

shine

Record Breaker
Wow, I'm so surprised and glad that Emanuel got invted! The GPF title must have helped. :) Hopefully the event will not be as boring as last year. But seeing that Lambiel's name is not on the roster, I really hope they at least asked him to participate. The 4th place finisher at Worlds deserves a call.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
If Plushenko is not able to skate in this competition, I would much rather see Stephane Lambiel invited than some 12th place Russian skater from Worlds. Lambiel was 4th in Worlds and because of that would really deserve to be invited.

In ladies they have invited all ladies 1-5 in Worlds, but in men only 1-2 and 5th. That seems a bit strange. Johnny Weir and Evan Lycasek, both favourites of mine, but would have liked to see Weiss also...

Marjaana

Last edited:

tripleflutz

On the Ice
Fumie was the Japan Federation favorite for a long time, but lately I think she's been bypassed by others. Will she be able to make a comeback, the way Shizuka did? The Japan Nats should be tougher that ever this year, and its going to be very difficult for Fumie or Yoshi to medal.

If Irina has a conflict, maybe the Russians will send Elena.

3axel

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
RGal, my thoughts exactly.........what's up with that? Other than that glaring omission, looks like a solid roster.......42

berthes ghost

Final Flight
Joesitz said:
Last year they had trouble filling the slots of people who dropped out. Irina and Yags. So I guess this year they are overbooking.
I think you're right, they overbooked like an economy airline. :laugh:

Six skaters is fine because they can all warm-up at the same time and there is only 1)men's warm-up 2)mens' comp 3)zamboni break/intermission (are there going to be "exhibitions like B&G and S&D last year?) 4) lady's warm-up 5) ladies comp. With eight skaters each, they will need to have two warm-up groups of 4 each and more Zamboni time, almost doubling the length of the event.

Matt

On the Ice
Amber Corwin is kind of a nice surprise. I'm a little surprised she's even on the list. But she has been skating well recently, so I think it's well deserved, and nice to see after a somewhat longer career than most.

I'm not surprised that they invited Carolina, but I am surprised they didn't invite Stéphane, especially after the 4th at Worlds. They seem to be picking based on skaters with consistent placings both previously and recently, which I think explains skaters like Lysacek (3 Jr Worlds silvers, consistent JGP seasons). Aside from fairly noteworthy placings at Europeans, Stéphane unfortunately doesn't have a lot. The fact that he's not a major media draw here in the US is another (which I think is absolutely ridiculous considering his calibre, btw)

I also didn't see Elena Liashenko's name; did she retire after last season?

Yup, lots of off ice time but then there will be time for lots of commericals If it's ABC and it's on Nascar/Golf time, the viewing will be one hour Only Plush and Joubert will be shown if they are one and two, and maybe Johnny if he is three.

And 5 ladies will be shown, all the amerians and Shizuka.

If it is shown on ESPN, just maybe they will show it in its entirety. Oh can the gods hear me! I hope it is ESPN just to see how they plan to run skating.

and yes, RG, why not Michael. I think this is a big snub by the USFSA.

Joe

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
Yup, lots of off ice time but then there will be time for lots of commericals If it's ABC and it's on Nascar/Golf time, the viewing will be one hour Only Plush and Joubert will be shown if they are one and two, and maybe Johnny if he is three.

And 5 ladies will be shown, all the amerians and Shizuka.

If it is shown on ESPN, just maybe they will show it in its entirety. Oh can the gods hear me! I hope it is ESPN just to see how they plan to run skating.

and yes, RG, why not Michael. I think this is a big snub by the USFSA.

Joe

Maybe Michael was invited, but turned it down for the same reasons he turned down COI this year.

ladybug

On the Ice
They would never snub Weiss. Look at what the USFSA does to make sure he goes to Worlds every years. Didn't he say he wanted to spend more time with his family this year. He didn't even do COI where he was guaranteed $$$. I think Mike must have turned down the invitation. Maybe he needs and wants more time to work on his programs for this season. Like so many others, he isn't getting any younger and must work harder to achieve what he did last season.
Ladybug