GPF2016: Onsite Reports | Golden Skate

GPF2016: Onsite Reports

Interspectator

Record Breaker
It's that time. All those who are going to see this epic Figure skating show-down in person, tell us all about it!
How's it going at practice?
How many skaters did you spot?
What are you eating?
How many Yuzu-stalkers are there this time? :devil:

Do tell. :love:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think most of the skaters have only just arrived. I saw the Shibs and Javi post on their Instagrams about traveling today.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think most of the skaters have only just arrived. I saw the Shibs and Javi post on their Instagrams about traveling today.

Maybe people get used to jet lag. I would think one would want to be on site at least one full day before Wednesday, the first official on site practice day.
I do enjoy the "everything else" reports people sometimes give, about the arena, if the seats are padded, available food in and outside, transportation, how serious is the security, etc.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Oh God, not again. Attention ISU Selection Committee, when choosing an event location, please ensure the venue knows how to make ...ICE!

Last edited:

frida80

Record Breaker
Oh god! TDF was horrible! The last thing France needs is a reputation for wet ice! Plus all the practice groups are practicing today! They need to fix this now!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I read on twitter that none of the Russians were at the rink today, just Kaetlyn and Satoko. I have also read that the crowd was almost 80% Japanese...how would this sport survive without these fans - thank you!

Last edited:

shyne

Final Flight
the rink has a walk path behind the board. so if you are sitting in the font row, most of time you can only see the skaters' upper body. Kind of a strange thing for the organizer to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Arrived in Marseille... warm, glorious sunshine... took the express bus from the airport to St Charles station... there is graffiti everywhere, including in some quite astonishing places which people must have risked their lives to reach... o_O Metro from St Charles to hotel... checked in, dumped stuff and straight back out to catch the last practice of the day - senior men.

20 minute walk to the arena... Yes, you do have to watch out for "dog bombs" on the pavement... construction everywhere... cars parked on pavements everywhere... no trouble reaching the arena though.

A lot of Japanese fans were there! :-D

The seats are as expected, not very comfortable LOL. Top of the railings in front of Cat1 area are eye level, not good -_- Certain parts of 1st/2nd row "gold" seating may have view partially obstructed by a camera and/or its operator (it's possibly the tech panel's camera).

There's a café in the building, and I saw a small kiosk in the arena area. Not sure if there are any more facilities than that. I'm planning to buy baguettes, fruit, snacks, water on the way to the rink tomorrow...!

Not much to say about men's practice... there seem to be videos appearing so people can see for themselves...

A bit chilly going back, after sun went down, but not too cold... arena itself was not cold either, I was down to t-shirt most of the time I was there, but that was just after a 20minute walk...

Last edited:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Arrived in Marseille... warm, glorious sunshine... took the express bus from the airport to St Charles station... there is graffiti everywhere, including in some quite astonishing places which people must have risked their lives to reach... o_O Metro from St Charles to hotel... checked in, dumped stuff and straight back out to catch the last practice of the day - senior men.

20 minute walk to the arena... Yes, you do have to watch out for "dog bombs" on the pavement... construction everywhere... cars parked on pavements everywhere... no trouble reaching the arena though.

A lot of Japanese fans were there! :-D

The seats are as expected, not very comfortable LOL. Top of the railings in front of Cat1 area are eye level, not good -_- Certain parts of 1st/2nd row "gold" seating may have view partially obstructed by a camera and/or its operator (it's possibly the tech panel's camera).

There's a café in the building, and I saw a small kiosk in the arena area. Not sure if there are any more facilities than that. I'm planning to buy baguettes, fruit, snacks, water on the way to the rink tomorrow...!

Not much to say about men's practice... there seem to be videos appearing so people can see for themselves...

A bit chilly going back, after sun went down, but not too cold... arena itself was not cold either, I was down to t-shirt most of the time I was there, but that was just after a 20 minute walk...

Have a great time! Not surprised by the number of Japanese fans given that Shoma, Yuzu and Satoko are there along with the junior ladies. (At Skate Canada, I think almost half of the audience was Japanese women!)