2016-17 JGPF Free Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2016-17 JGPF Free Dance

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Congratulations to Parsons! Top two were equally amazing at this competition.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The Parsons were surprised by the win. I think they're so used to being second, LOL. Clearly some good momentum, they look great for their first national title next month, but I expect Quinn and Lorraine to give them a run for their money.

Last edited:

Florencito

Medalist
Well, I would have had them in first yesterday and in second today but I guess that's why I'm not an ice dance judge :p

Anyway S/S are my only correct pick :laugh:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I've found new skaters to follow. They are called Alla and Pavel and have a bright future :thumbsup:

andromache

Record Breaker
I think I like L/D more than any senior Russian team?

But this is my first time watching junior ice dance so I don't really know. But L/D impressed me more than Stepanova/Bukin, for example, and they seem to have a sharpness that B/S do not.

Parsons were a lot of fun too. They and M/C move up next season? Sheesh. So crowded in US ice dance.

Giselle

Medalist
I would have put L/D 1st in the FD and P/P 1st in the SD.

But anyways, congratualtions to P/P for winning a Gold medal after being 2nd so many times. I hope they'll win Nationals as well :)

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

But this is my first time watching junior ice dance so I don't really know. But L/D impressed me more than Stepanova/Bukin, for example, and they seem to have a sharpness that B/S do not.

Parsons were a lot of fun too. They and M/C move up next season? Sheesh. So crowded in US ice dance.

Yeah. Both Rachel and Michael Parsons and Quinn Carpenter will be too old next season for juniors.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Well I'm glad the Parsons won. Considering they're practically committing category fraud, it would have been embarrassing if they didn't. Please stop skating juniors for God's sake.

olayolay

On the Ice
I think both McNamara/Carpenter made a mistake staying junior this year. Maybe the Parsons too actually. They have no hope of making the Olympic team next year, but could've used this year as a building block for the post-2018 vacuum in US ice dance. I don't know how much more valuable a junior world title would be to their prospects.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So happy for the Parsons sibs, their programs this year are just wonderful. I am really looking forward to seeing them in person at Nationals. :hap10:

Did anyone else think their coaches were a bit subdued when the Parsons came off the ice? I have always gotten the impression that M/C were the coaches favorites and that just reinforced it.

Kind of gutted for M/C, after winning everything last year coming in 3rd here by a decisive margin must sting.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

I wonder if there will be a little more room post-2018. I really don't see the Shibs or C/B continuing (though both, age wise, have another Olympic cycle in them), but who knows.

madison

Record Breaker
I would have put L/D on 1....they looked more powerful.
I'd ask someone with more knowledge on tech side... i thought that the Parsons' rotational lift should be level 3, he checked several times... what do you think?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
This is the only event live today in Polish Eurosport, so watching in TV, though I'll miss Ted's commentary :(

From Swedish Eurosport we get this, the junior ladies free skate and senior dance short live today. Tomorrow only men’s free live because of many other sports lik skiing, cycling, women’s golf. What puzzles me is the Bundesliga. I’ve never met any man or woman following German football, oh well there must be some…

Watch out though. Sometimes things like a cancelled alpine event could open up for figure skating :)

So Ted Barton for you now then :)

Kutien

Final Flight
1 Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA 162.50 2 1 video
2 Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD RUS 161.87 1 2 video
3 Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA 153.47 3 3 video
4 Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO USA 149.98 4 4 video
5 Angelique ABACHKINA / Louis THAURON FRA 146.12 5 5 video
6 Anastasia SHPILEVAYA / Grigory SMIRNOV RUS 140.64 6 6 video

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Well I'm glad the Parsons won. Considering they're practically committing category fraud, it would have been embarrassing if they didn't. Please stop skating juniors for God's sake.

Guess Lobada/Drozd are too? They're aging out this year also. So is it embarrassing that they didn't win?

For the record, I like their programs too. Just disputing your argument that the Parsons committed some sort of "category fraud"

Last edited: