2016-17 JGPF Free Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2016-17 JGPF Free Dance

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I think both McNamara/Carpenter made a mistake staying junior this year. Maybe the Parsons too actually. They have no hope of making the Olympic team next year, but could've used this year as a building block for the post-2018 vacuum in US ice dance. I don't know how much more valuable a junior world title would be to their prospects.

I really don't think it matters. If their skating skills continue to improve and they have good programs and work on building their ice dance skill set, they should do well in seniors even if it they have to wait a bit because of the crowded U.S. ice dance scene. Remember that the Shibs went from second at World Juniors in 2009 to placing fourth at Junior Worlds in 2010 and then beat all the teams they lost to win bronze at their first Senior Worlds the following season.

I think complaining that the Parsons are committing "category fraud" is a bit of sour grapes and desperate.

Last edited:

madison

Record Breaker
to be honest, i am sure that the parsons won because of the favorable tech panel.
I don' want to dismiss their talent and performance today which was really good, but ice dance is so political and all the top teams are really close .. it's mainly about politics, influence and reputation.

Zhenya is DIVINE

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Guess Lobada/Drozd are too? They're aging out this year also. So is it embarrassing that they didn't win?

For the record, I like their programs too. Just disputing your argument that the Parsons committed some sort of "category fraud"

YES, but the Parsons are even older than L/D!

Both teams are too old to be skating in juniors IMO!

However to say something nice, Michael Parsons is INCREDIBLY sexy! :luv17:

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
From Swedish Eurosport we get this, the junior ladies free skate and senior dance short live today. Tomorrow only men’s free live because of many other sports lik skiing, cycling, women’s golf. What puzzles me is the Bundesliga. I’ve never met any man or woman following German football, oh well there must be some…

Watch out though. Sometimes things like a cancelled alpine event could open up for figure skating :)

So Ted Barton for you now then :)

It's worse in Poland because apart of Bundesliga (yes, I know at least one huge fan of Bundesliga and many watch because of Polish players at least some of Budensliga), there is one match of Polish League, which is why I don't even have in TV coverage what you have. Meaning: only Junior FD live today & only Men FS live tomorrow. (they have tranmistion rights for two matches out of 8, one on Friday, one on Monday) I have no idea why Polish Eurosport get lrights for so many sports, it makes it that you can't follow nearly any fully :bang: It's not like there would be no TV coverage of those matches if not for Eurosport :scowl:

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sad that L/D had a level 2 step sequence - cost them they win. They have to work on that. Im not sure who was responsible L or D. They know what they have to work on.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Uhm, please tell me the name of that handsome coach who looks like a mix between Christian Bale, Eric Bana and another coach who looks like Cruela deville (she's actually beautiful but reminds me of spartan ballet teachers)?

1230 views seem good for for a junior dance.

Side note: For a second I thought of Laurent Landi before realizing this was a Figure Skating thread.

olayolay

On the Ice
How long until either the Parsons or McNamara/Carpenter move from Wheaton to Canton/Novi/Montreal?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Sad that L/D had a level 2 step sequence - cost them they win. They have to work on that. Im not sure who was responsible L or D. They know what they have to work on.

It's not only DiSt lvl2, but also SiLi lvl 3.... (Parsons got nearly point more for that element)

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I feel stupid because I just posted several comments (and then deleted them, don't worry) in the SHORT dance thread. :palmf: No wonder no one was commenting during the event! Anyways, glad for the Parsons; their free dance is beautiful and it reminds me a lot of the Shibs' dance last year--perfect for them and a good scoring dance too.

MIM

Medalist
I slept through the alarm, snoozing every ten mins. ;)

Angelique Abachkina and Louis Thauron grabbed my eyes immediately. Her hair, lines, personality on ice are just :luv17: Their straight line lift was mind blowing. (i.e. W/P :love:) Louis' partnering is so elegant and supports her exuberance gracefully (what a nice contrast!). At times, she was not as fast and skilled as he was. But, I am totally sold to this team.

Christina CARREIRA / Anthony PONOMARENKO

As the youngest of the finalists, they held their own very well. I like this team; Chirstina is cool and rational vs. Anthony is emotional and sensitive. She is one or two year older than he is. I am just so excited to see how this team is developed in the future.

Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER

I was totally amazed with Lorraine's back; how she does the complex choreography using her back. The change of position on the straight line lift was effortlessly done. I did not like their SP. It felt too gimmicky (costume, music, program..) Quinn is an interesting personality on ice but the SP does not capture his quirkiness, expressiveness well. I prefer the LP which is about her and more successful on capitalizing her charm.

Alla LOBODA / Pavel DROZD
Their first stroke shows their power and maturity compared to the earlier teams. But WHY a Spanish theme!! They skate like they would do to a lyrical piece of music. Lacking power and charisma. there are some difficult elements but do not look effortless and slow at times.

Parsons
:agree: Great color scheme; gray on man and blue on lady complements each other so well!! Their program and performance is organically woven together the best. They don't look juniors at all. Excellent music choice. I am not get tired of RoLift and Spin at the end of the program; they circle around each other to the sound of rain.:love: There are so many beautiful moments..Congratulations for Parsons' WIN!!!

Medal ceremony; The hue of Blue to Black!!

Parsons and Mcnamara are from near my town!:) So proud of my neighbors ;)

Last edited:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So what are the plans for the Parsons and M/C after this season? Do they stay with their coaches or go to the top Senior coaches like Igor? I think they both need to move to more established coaches since they are both done with Juniors after this season. Especially M/C they could use someone like Igor to get their levels up he's the master at that. I bet they regret not going Senior now since they had nothing to gain this season skating as Juniors except go down instead of pushing themselves on the Senior curcuit like P/B did.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I can't understand how after being so dominant last season they are overtaken by teams whom they beat soundly at the last Jr Worlds.

It's their programs.

Bette Davis once said, "It's not the acting that wins you the Oscar; it's the part."

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I'm glad the Parsons won. Considering they're practically committing category fraud, it would have been embarrassing if they didn't. Please stop skating juniors for God's sake.

Too bad we don't have a thumbs down icon. Because this merits an entire row of them

Sour grapes much?

Art&Sport

Medalist
So who is the black haired lady coach with big bun? Anyone?

I think M/C did mistake not going senior this season, next one they will have to, and I think it will tougher for them.

I believe M/C were advised by their fed to stay Junior (since they were still eligible) due to the huge depth in senior ice dance for the U.S. It's likely more what @WeakAnkles said about needing to have the right program at the right time. Perhaps M/C should have opted for Blues/ Swing SD. I actually like M/C's hip hop routine, but it does seem a bit frenetic (as Eurosport commentator said), especially in comparison to Parsons' hip hop SD. I enjoy M/C's FD, but it seems they are not at the top of their game right now, and maybe it is due to having already won so much in juniors over the past two years. Been there, done that feeling perhaps. Plus other teams hungry and have caught up with them. Perhaps turning senior would have been an interesting challenge for them, but they were not going to shoot to the top by turning senior. The U.S. has so many good ice dance teams.

Loboda Drozd are interesting and they have wonderful talent, but I disagree with their somewhat high PCS. ITA with those who feel that the Parsons should have won the SD. Parsons squeaked through in winning overall with their FD due to slightly higher tech score.

Last edited:

Giselle

Medalist
I believe M/C were advised by their fed to stay Junior (since they were still eligible) due to the huge depth in senior ice dance for the U.S.

Where did you hear that?
From the inteviews they did this summer it sounded more like a decision they made with their coach, nothing about the US fed.
Pogrebinsky/Benoit who were 4th at Junior Worlds moved up this year despite still having 1 year of junior eligibility left. They got 2 GP events with a host pick at Skate America. Looks like the US were supportive of their move.