Best short program | Golden Skate

Best short program

What is your most favorite short program?

• Michelle Kwan-East of Eden

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • B&S- Lady Caliph

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Oksana Baiul- Black Swan

• Yagudin- Winter

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Sasha Cohen-Malaguena

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Michelle-Rachmaninoff

Votes: 12 12.6%
  • S&Z-Kismet

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • B&S-Meadowland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Plushenko-Bolero

• Other

Votes: 11 11.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vash01

Medalist
This was inspired by another thread. What is the best short program- meaning one that makes a big impact, is remembered for a long time, and at times becomes a signature piece of the skater(s)?

Matt

On the Ice
There's not a poll, so I guess I'll just list the ones that come to mind:

Michelle Kwan: "Moderato" (Rachmaninoff)
Alexei Yagudin: "Winter"
Sasha Cohen: "Malagueña"

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
Well, I picked Plush's Bolero, though my favorite SP from him is the Michael Jackson one. :love:

But my all time favorite SP is not on the list. Alexander Abt's "Russian Sailor Dance" is just fabulous. Great footwork, great energy, fab spins....if he could only skate all his FSs like his SPs.... *sigh*

Laura :)

Vash01

Medalist
I LOVED Abt's SP. I just forgot to list it (and I could list only 9 + 'Other').

soogar

Record Breaker
I loved Tara Lipinski's Anastasia SP. I even went out and bought the soundtrack. Plushy and Brian had great SPs in 2004 worlds.

Viktor Petrenko's Carmen SP in 1992: He rocked the 3axel-3toe combo.

Matt

On the Ice
I voted for MK's East of Eden. That programme was just exquisite, especially the performance at the 2001 US Nats

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
The best SP I have EVER seen was Brian Boitano's "Les Patineurs", the SP he used for the 88 Olympic season. Absolutely fantastic!

SingAlto

On the Ice
JonnyCoop said:
The best SP I have EVER seen was Brian Boitano's "Les Patineurs", the SP he used for the 88 Olympic season. Absolutely fantastic!

I'll second that! He was incredible. :love:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
Well, my most favorite is MK's East of Eden but I also gotta give props to Alexei for his Winter (which I really liked especially at the Olys) and Jamie & David's 'Come Rain or Come Shine' which remains one of my all time fave programs of theirs for its pure joy and romance. I also enjoyed Jenny Kirk's 'Chicago' SP from this past year which was awesome and really showed how she can relate to a crowd even in an SP. :D

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
From the ones listed my vote went to Baiul´s "Black Swan".

Other equally big favourites from the list:

Sasha´s "Malaguena"
Evgeni´s "Bolero"
B&S "Lady Caliph"

Outside the list:

Ilia Kulik´s "Addams Family" and "Faust"

shine

Record Breaker
Others.

Lambiel's 2002 SP to Vuelvo Al Sur by Goten Project
Yagudin's 2001 SP to Revolution Etude
Savoie's Reveil
Klimkin's Swan Lake
Jeannette's 2001 and 2002 SP
Smalun's 2000 SP, and 2003 SP to Chaplin
Kwan's 1997 program to Dream of Desdamona
Hubert's 1998 SP to some unknown piano piece
as well as B/S's Lady Caliphi, Meadowland and Plushenko's Bolero

icenut84

Final Flight
Out of those I voted for Sasha Cohen's Malaguena. Other big favourites include Yagudin's Revolution Etude, B&S's Lady Caliph, G&G's March of the Toreadors (Carmen), Michelle Kwan's The Feeling Begins (03 version), Plushenko's one from 1999, and more I can't think of right now.

floskate

On the Ice
Well from the list I'd say MK's Rach because it had a huge effect and drew plaudits of genius from many of skatings hierarchy. I actually prefer EOE and DOD to Rach though.

But count me in for Les Patineurs - Boitano's Olympic sp. That was just an amazing program and did not get the international recognition from the judges that it deserved - IMO vastly superior to Orsers and I still don't know why Orser won the SP in Calgary, although I'm a big fan of both of them.

Vash01

Medalist
Others not on the list (I had only 9 choices):

B&S- Swan Lake
Yagudin-Revolutionary Etude
Michelle-The feeling begins
Abt- his last SP as an eligible skater (can't remember the title)
M&D-Don Quixote
G&G-94 Oly SP
Shishkova-Naumov: Ave Maria
Maria Butyrskaya- Scene d'mour (I am butchering the title, I am afraid)
Petrenko-Carmen (94 season)
Oksana- 93 worlds SP (Spanish music, I think)

I decided not to put Boitano's 88 SP on the list. I thought he was a bit conservative and did not skate freely (to make sure it was clean, and that is perfectly alright).

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
Vash01 said:
Others not on the list (I had only 9 choices):

I decided not to put Boitano's 88 SP on the list. I thought he was a bit conservative and did not skate freely (to make sure it was clean, and that is perfectly alright).

I think that would depend on when you saw it. It was absolutely incredible at the 88 Nationals (where he picked up 8 6s), but I will admit it didn't quite have the same zing at the Olys; I can't remember if I saw the Worlds version or not.

Vash01

Medalist
I did not see it at the USN or worlds, so I am going by the tape of the 88 Olympics.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
It's hard to pick the best SP when we put in the mix three disciplines. I vote for "Winter" because men's is my favorite discipline :D Alexei Yagudin has always had the best SP's in his eligible years IMO. I would have easily voted for Revolution Etude had it been on the poll.

For the pairs, Lady Caliph would be my pick and for the ladies a toss-up between Michelle Kwan's Rach, Sasha Cohen's Malaguena and Oksana Baiul's Swan program.

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I'll list 10...because I just have to! :)

1. Michelle Kwan - "East of Eden"
2. Michelle Kwan - "Romanza"
3. Alexei Yagudin - "Winter"
4. Irina Slutskaya - Her SP from the 01-02 season...I've forgotten the music title
5. Oksana Baiul - Her SP from the 92-93 season (I'm glad to see other fans of this SP...it was so fresh and pleasing at the time!)
6. Oksana Baiul - "Swan Lake"
7. Nicole Bobek - Her SP from the 94-95 season
8. Chen Lu - "Claire de Lune"
9. Michelle Kwan - "Dream of Desdemona"
10. Sasha Cohen - "Malaguena"

Antilles

Medalist
Yagudin's Winter. That was just fabulous. Others that I love: Kirk's Chicago, Kwan's TFB, Baiul's Swan Lake, B&S's Lady Caliph, S&P's Jalousie.